B7 A4 FRONT GRILLE REPLACEMENT

jr001

Reaction score
Since getting the B7 A4 I always hankered after the black grille to replace the standard chrome one.
I thought they would be a bit expensive but they are only 130 pounds from the dealer and come complete with 4 rings and S-Line badge. That’s a good price for a body part that transforms the front end of the car. Pleasantly surprised so I was. I thought I might as well share some pics from the changeover in case any other Audi owners are considering doing the same.

DISCLAIMER
I accept no responsibility for damage of any kind that anyone experiences while using this guide to carry out the same modification. It worked for me.

STEP 1 – GET THE CAR SAFELY UP

grille00.jpg

STEP 2 – WHEELS OFF

STEP 3 – REMOVE UNDERTRAY AND LOOSEN WHEEL ARCH LINERS

Remove the torx fixing screws from the front of the liner to the top. Only half of the liner needs to be movable.

Pull the liner out of the small lip on the arch and fold it back so that it can be held behind the brake disc.

This then allows access to this black plastic bracket that couples the side of the bumper cover to the main body.

brktrem.jpg

10mm spanner for the hex nut and torx screwdriver for the two screws that are arrowed. These screws are just out of shot! Sorry.

Remove the undertray - NOTE: This may not actually be necessary (SEE WHY IN STEP 4)

STEP 4 – SLIGHTLY LOOSEN FRONT END FIXING SCREWS

frgr.jpg

Area of interest here is the circled spot. About 15cm under here, there is a torx screw that only requires something like a quarter or half-turn. If you are using a socket and torx bit bit and extension to get in here then you will probably loose the socket and torx bit on the way back out. That’s where removing the undertray comes in handy. If you have long-neck torx screwdrivers then you shouldn’t have to remove the undertray! That’s not a bad option really!

The pic below shows where these part-turned torx screws fix onto the bumper cover.

grille0000.jpg

You can also remove the torx screws that secure the top of the grille to the front end.

grille01.jpg

STEP 5 – REMOVE BUMPER COVER SECURING NUTS ON EACH SIDE

You now see the screws that secure the front bumper cover. The pic below shows the hex nuts removed. This was 10mm hex if I remember correctly.

bumpscrews.jpg

The driver’s side is more straightforward, but on the passenger side the windscreen-washer reservoir tank obscures your access. Don’t worry though, you can push the tank forward slightly to get access but you will need an extension and 10mm socket bit to get to it properly. It’s no bother though.

The bumper cover can now be pulled out from the car. You will have to unplug the spotlamp power connector. There’s enough give to put the bumper cover on the mat first and then disconnect it.

GRILLE5.jpg

STEP 6 – REMOVE THE OLD GRILLE

grille0001.jpg

This is secured to the bumper cover by 10? Torx screws. Removal is simple.

STEP 7 – INSTALL THE NEW GRILLE

GRILLE6.jpg

STEP 8 – PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER NOW!

grille00002.jpg

Such a big, yet subtle difference for the money. I hope this has helped somebody. Job time was 3 hours here, but to do it again would probably take me 2 hours.
Good Luck!

Hey mate where did u got the black grill to buy . I am looking for one right now ..

Hey mate where did u got the black grill to buy . I am looking for one right now ..

Stirling Audi. Any dealership will do though and the parts price should be the same (approx 130 quid) regardless which dealership you buy from.:icon_thumright:

I like that splitter, where did you get it from ?
I'm also considering the black optics grille, are you pleased with it?
Must admit it does make the car look quite stealthy if you see what I mean.

Jr, the car looks superb with that grille.
Is the grille itself black or is it the same colour as the number plate holder i.e. a dark grey ish colour?.
The reason I ask is because I was just wondering if you need to purchase the number plate holder too so it matches the new grille.
Cheers
;-)

Cheers big chap. I just used my original one, dark grey. Think you can get them in black if that's what you're looking for.

Cheers

Got to agree that the black grille is the business. This is mine;

A4Front.jpg

Reactions: phulla
2007 Audi A4 2.0T FSI quattro S-Line Special Edition Black

Audi_A4_20TFSI_SLine_Quattro_SpecialEdition_1640.JPG

mate can i ask where did you get the spilter it looks good

Hi your Audi grill and splitter looks great. I am just wondering where did you get that splitter, i am in South Africa but cannot get it here so i want to buy it online, can you please give me the details like part no etc?
Cheers

Looking good. This is something I would love to do on mine :thumb:

The black grill has really sold it for me. Looks so much better. Am going to do mine. Any idea what the current price is?

Thanks

Anyone got part number for black s-line grill? If its still 130 I'll be purchasing.

Not sure of the scant part number , just called audi and explained what I wanted .with VAT it came to around £177

Great write up, just spent a few hours putting on the honeycomb Matt black grill. Just waiting for the material to do the fog lamp grills now.

Cheers
Rob

Since getting the B7 A4 I always hankered after the black grille to replace the standard chrome one.
I thought they would be a bit expensive but they are only 130 pounds from the dealer and come complete with 4 rings and S-Line badge. That’s a good price for a body part that transforms the front end of the car. Pleasantly surprised so I was. I thought I might as well share some pics from the changeover in case any other Audi owners are considering doing the same.

DISCLAIMER
I accept no responsibility for damage of any kind that anyone experiences while using this guide to carry out the same modification. It worked for me.

STEP 1 – GET THE CAR SAFELY UP

grille00.jpg

STEP 2 – WHEELS OFF

STEP 3 – REMOVE UNDERTRAY AND LOOSEN WHEEL ARCH LINERS

Remove the torx fixing screws from the front of the liner to the top. Only half of the liner needs to be movable.

Pull the liner out of the small lip on the arch and fold it back so that it can be held behind the brake disc.

This then allows access to this black plastic bracket that couples the side of the bumper cover to the main body.

brktrem.jpg

10mm spanner for the hex nut and torx screwdriver for the two screws that are arrowed. These screws are just out of shot! Sorry.

Remove the undertray - NOTE: This may not actually be necessary (SEE WHY IN STEP 4)

STEP 4 – SLIGHTLY LOOSEN FRONT END FIXING SCREWS

frgr.jpg

Area of interest here is the circled spot. About 15cm under here, there is a torx screw that only requires something like a quarter or half-turn. If you are using a socket and torx bit bit and extension to get in here then you will probably loose the socket and torx bit on the way back out. That’s where removing the undertray comes in handy. If you have long-neck torx screwdrivers then you shouldn’t have to remove the undertray! That’s not a bad option really!

The pic below shows where these part-turned torx screws fix onto the bumper cover.

grille0000.jpg

You can also remove the torx screws that secure the top of the grille to the front end.

grille01.jpg

STEP 5 – REMOVE BUMPER COVER SECURING NUTS ON EACH SIDE

You now see the screws that secure the front bumper cover. The pic below shows the hex nuts removed. This was 10mm hex if I remember correctly.

bumpscrews.jpg

The driver’s side is more straightforward, but on the passenger side the windscreen-washer reservoir tank obscures your access. Don’t worry though, you can push the tank forward slightly to get access but you will need an extension and 10mm socket bit to get to it properly. It’s no bother though.

The bumper cover can now be pulled out from the car. You will have to unplug the spotlamp power connector. There’s enough give to put the bumper cover on the mat first and then disconnect it.

GRILLE5.jpg

STEP 6 – REMOVE THE OLD GRILLE

grille0001.jpg

This is secured to the bumper cover by 10? Torx screws. Removal is simple.

STEP 7 – INSTALL THE NEW GRILLE

GRILLE6.jpg

STEP 8 – PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER NOW!

grille00002.jpg

Such a big, yet subtle difference for the money. I hope this has helped somebody. Job time was 3 hours here, but to do it again would probably take me 2 hours.
Good Luck!

I'm looking at doing this too.

Do you have to remove the bumper? ??

Also wondered about vinyl wrapping the bonnet black. (White car)