B7 A4 Avant Quattro coming soon

Dane

Had an 8L S3, a B5 RS4 now I have a B8 S4
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I put a deposit down on a B7 Avant 2.o tdi 170 Quattro over the weekend to replace my daily Octavia VRS. It's not quite my perfect spec but having been on the look out for a couple of months I reduced my expectations in terms of options.

The Octavia is a great tool but I've been considering something more refined for commuting to work and potentially something to cut the costs of driving to the Alps to go skiing, we take my MRC stage 2 B8 S4 currently which is awesome, just a little thirsty.

Here's a link to the autotrader ad:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702031960565

Looks great, nice big folder of receipts, scans pretty clear with some fluff with VCDS, decent options and black optics, I'm a proper sucker for black optics.

I gather BRD engines can have oil pump problems and that because this is an '08 car it doesn't need the same amount of work doing as some of the older cars, I've spent about half an hour looking through threads on the issue but those threads quickly get full of opinion and and it's hard to see the wood for the trees. What needs to be replaced and at what cost? Given the 300 miles I do a week and the 1700 mile trips to the alps that we're likely to do twice a year it's probably going to be high on the list of stuff to sort out.

Other than that I'll plans consist of:
Talking to Trups from EM Tuning about headlight upgrades,
Look at great exhaust tip mod I've seen in a few threads,
Probably a clear vinyl wrap to the front of the car to try and stop it from stone chipping from all the motorway driving it'll do.
Oh and a Remap from Badger 5, love a cheeky remap from Bill.

Cheers!

Dane

Reactions: James.c and DieselJake
Firstly welcome to B7 Avant ownership as we all know it's the best shape

Lovely colour and not too bad a spec....it has some of the main bits n bobs already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks,

Yeah it's not perfect but it'll do just fine, I forgot I definitely need to retrofit cruise control, that's going to need to happen straight away.

I'm not doing 8 hours through France without cruise lol.

I couldn't imagine driving a long journey without CC

Quite a few people have done it recently and from what I gather it's not that hard to retrofit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've retrofitted an RS5 FBMFSW into my S4 so I've done a steering wheel removal, which is half the job so I'm pretty happy I'll be able to do it.

It's just the pulling everything forward to clear the other indicator stalk that sounds a bit sketchy.

Did my pump on the A4 took me 16hrs replaced with a new modified assembly and gear drive to replace the chain. Supplied from KMB parts Sheffield I think.

My chain was noisy, took apart, wear was clearly apparent on the tensioner, but the assembly looked ok. This is at 119000 miles.

Piece of mind, I would look at changing it, I'm glad I did mine, if you loose oil pressure on the motorway, it's a ****** engine and you don't want that in the south of France in the snow!

Thanks for the info @JonSline

Out of interest is there and OEM solution to the Oil pump issue or is 3rd party kits only? I.e. if I were to take it to Audi would they replace it like for like, meaning the replacement will, over time, eat itself as well?

We're going again in a few weeks time so I haven't quite made my mind up which car to take tbh. I might leave it until next year and sort the oil pump in the meanwhile.

As far as I could work out, there was an updated oil pump drive key, but they don't change the chain/sprocket to a gear

Reactions: Dane
Picked her up over the weekend, pretty happy so far:

A366D0B6-A9FE-4D22-BFDE-9EE113CFBC0C_zps33wde9z3.jpg

Seems to return a bit less mpg than the octavia but that's to be expected. But it's much more refined, the ride is better, it's quieter, it's just generally a nicer place to sit.

First job is a cruise control retrofit, ordering that tonight from TPS, so hopefully that will go to plan, there was no clutch switch codes when I scanned it before so fingers crossed it'll go smoothly.

It looks like the roof rack from the octavia fits the A4 as well so I'll get that swapped over too and my dad has a set of OEM B8 S4 18 inch winter options so I'll give those a trial fit before we head to the Alps in a few weeks.

Reactions: Gazah19, DieselJake, James.c and 3 others
Thanks @Sandra it's definitely one of the better looking ones for sale, lots of silver ones about, and with a few retrofits here and there it'll be a great workhorse.

Reactions: Sandra
Cruise control retrofit and cowl ordered from TPS yesterday for c.£75 all in, collecting tonight so should have it fitted in the next few days.

Reactions: carlcall
So I got cruise control fitted last week, swapped my Thule roof bars over from the Octavia and I'll be fitting some OEM B8 S4 winter alloys this weekend in preparation for a trip to the Alps.

Over all I'm pretty happy with it, although I haven't been able to find a perfect seating position, a combination of the seat not going low enough, the foot rest being too far forward and the steering column coming out too low/ at the wrong angle. Any suggestions would be gratefully received, although I'm getting used to it the real test will be the drive to the Alps.

Got a quick one after walking the dogs

DCF04E55-D3D6-4F9C-9B65-C20E6AA4D1D9_zpst6bl4600.jpg

Got a banging deal on a genuine audi dog guard over the weekend too, £26 instead of £90 something.

Reactions: James.c and carlcall
Thanks Rob, but I do enough miles to feel the benefit of driving a diesel.

what , a dog guard , we may be on a different subject matter Dane...lol

ahaha sorry I miss understood you, must be getting late ........... :D

It was a spur of the moment look on ebay and there was one with 2 hours left that was 30 miles away so I rolled with it.

what a numpty...

Reactions: carlcall
Looks decent mate! Welcome

Got a quick one after walking the dogs

DCF04E55-D3D6-4F9C-9B65-C20E6AA4D1D9_zpst6bl4600.jpg

Got a banging deal on a genuine audi dog guard over the weekend too, £26 instead of £90 something.

Lovely car mate, black optics is a must on the black a4''s they look lovely. Im gonna debadge the rear today any yips anyone? Here's mine...
20170128 102455
20170122 091021
20170122 132840

Reactions: James.c and Dani_B19
They will almost certainly come straight off when we're back though, just not cold enough in the south west to warrant them.