B7 3.0ltr TDi future

gary911

Reaction score
Not been to active here lately as I bought an RS3 its a great car but still have the B7 avant and not sure whether to keep it or sell.
The main reason for going back to petrol is the constant and worrying bad press about diesel.
I am currently planning to move away from London so the issue may not effect me for some time yet, the devaluation will also not be an issue as the car is now 10yrs old but only covered 48k but such a great all round car with an amazing spec.
what are the thoughts of others running diesel A4s

Regards

You'd hope there won't be any legislation that penalises older car owners. At least not outside of major cities.

Though I wouldn't put that kind of hypocrisy past them. After they've been banging the 'diesel is good' drum for a decade.

Reactions: V6_Man
I will be keeping my A4 diesel for several years yet. Where am I going to find a car that gives me the space pace and running costs to beat what I have now. Fortunately I don't need to commute to any large towns that may get in on the idea of revenue generation by charging motorists to drive in them.

Reactions: DieselJake
I will not be giving mine anytime soon up unless they give me twice what it's worth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I too have a B7 TDi (Saloon) and I'll keep it unless the road tax is £500+ /year. And if it happens I am afraid I'll have to ask my wife to start working to pay for the road tax and I'll still be happy to pay for the fuel - she likes the car more than I do. Won't let me change it with an A3 Sportback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too have a B7 TDi (Saloon) and I'll keep it unless the road tax is £500+ /year. And if it happens I am afraid I'll have to ask my wife to start working to pay for the road tax and I'll still be happy to pay for the fuel - she likes the car more than I do. Won't let me change it with an A3 Sportback

Sounds familiar, I've been thinking of chopping in the A4 and my Golf for a Golf R or S3, missus normally doesn't give too hoots about cars but she's putting her foot down on giving up the cabby. Needs an mot this week, taxed at over £300 now and the RAC warranty is due as well :-(

Reactions: V6_Man
Sounds familiar, I've been thinking of chopping in the A4 and my Golf for a Golf R or S3, missus normally doesn't give too hoots about cars but she's putting her foot down on giving up the cabby. Needs an mot this week, taxed at over £300 now and the RAC warranty is due as well :-(

Lol. It certainly sounds familiar buddy. It is not just the money but the responsibility of keep her cabby clean is well, who else could be

Reactions: SteveMcB
You'd hope there won't be any legislation that penalises older car owners. At least not outside of major cities.

Though I wouldn't put that kind of hypocrisy past them. After they've been banging the 'diesel is good' drum for a decade.
This is a genuine dilemma for diesel drivers, and B7 long-timers will remember I was one before I swapped the 3.0Tdi Quattro for the S4. I have to say, in the nearly five years I owned it, it dispelled some of the old prejudices I held about diesels but reinforced others. Although I loved many things about the car, including the massive and seamless flow of torque, I hated the smell and the smoke.

It might seem hypocrisy, but remember that the government that was banging the diesel drum for so long isn't the same one that's in power now. Also, the current government is being told to take action whether it wants to or not.

Reactions: Baka and V6_Man