b7 3.0 tdi tuning help, anyone done a hybrid turbo, fmic, injectors?

Thunderous

Reaction score
Im new to the forum currently running a full custom exhaust dpf delete and an mrc map pushing 280hp/660torque but wondering if anyone has upgraded the turbo to the hybrid that darkside do, or does a fmic make a big difference, injector mods ?

Thought I would share a pic of my beloved also

Nice motor, A fmic will help as it will cool the intake charge more, hot air is not as dense as cooler air. This applies more so in the summer when it can be felt more. Also the pressure loss across a larger FMIC is smaller so effectively giving you free boost.
My B8 3.0 TDI makes 312hp and 720Nm but has a decent size FMIC and a GTB2260 standard turbo which is better than the BV50.
A hybrid turbo will definately give you a good deal more power at the expense of driveability. You wont get the same response as you do with the BV50. I am not sure about uprated fuelling, I think the standard system will get you to 350bhp or so and will supply a hybrid without changing injectors. Will probably require some creative mapping.
Is the car manual or auto ?? .

Karl.

Hey Karl, thanks for getting back to me . The car is an auto
The turbo i was planning to get is a gtb2260 hybrid and an intercooler, maybe i'l leave the injectors alone just get them cleaned. Which intercooler would you recommend preferably one that doesn't hurt the pocket too much, also what did you mean by won't get the same response as a BV50?

I would love 700 plus torque and 300+ horses your car must be an animal

Hope you are keeping some cash for the gearbox...

The boxes on these known to go? First ive heard? I've heard of a few people running over 300 comfortably for a long time

To be fair I don't rag it around anyway just like to have the power there , my foot is a light one

I am not sure about the torque capacity of the auto boxes, I suspected yours was an auto when you said 660Nm as you would have had to have a good clutch in to handle any more. It's possible to limit the torque to not much more than what you have now but with a hybrid you wouldn't run out of steam at higher revs.
The turbo you have on the car is BV50 made by KKK, the B8 standard turbo is a GTB2260vk which is what I have. The hybrid version of that is the GTB2566VK. Switching to a GTB2260 would give you a bit more power similar to mine , going to the hybrid gives you the potential for 340-350bhp.
If you have a look at my build thread I have plotted a typical dyno plot of a hybrid turbo over the dyno run at MRC.

Karls 3.0 TDI build thread

Because of the larger wheels in the turbo tthe hybrid doesn't respond as well low down and pick up is slower. Power with the hybrid doesn't exceed what I have at the moment till around 2600 RPM and after that the hybrid always ahead.
I used a Mishimoto universal intercooler in mine. Have a look at the build thread.

Karl.

Reactions: Thunderous
Desertstorm :anbet: Your knowledge is very helpful thanks a lot mate appreciate it,
I think I will go for the gtb2260 and the fmic just to push past the 300 mark, im scared to go too mad incase I start causing problems for my engine. I want nice safe power

been wondering why the b8 produces so much better power then the b7, is it mainly due to the turbo?

The turbo helps as does the intercooler I have on mine. There are some detail changes between the engines but one of the main reasons you can really tune these is the dual plate clutch on the manuals. It will take 800Nm, there is a guy in europe with an A5 with the same engine as mine running just on 400bhp and did get the torque to 850Nm but the clutch was slipping so had to back off to 800Nm.
A lot of the credit for the performance of my car has to go top Rick at Unicorn Motor developments who mapped it.

Karl.

800nm! The take off must be nuts on that! I May check out unicorn when I get these bits on and my map needs a tweak, the turbo a straight swap do you know?

Unfortuantely it seems that's it's not that straight forward as the actuator on the BV50 is a Siemens unit used with an EDC16 ECU. The GTB2260 is a Hella actuator used with an EDC17 ECU.
I am not sure how easy or if it's possible to fit the BV50 actuator onto a GTB2260 or rewrite the map in your car to drive a Hella actuator.
Googling stuff it seems that it has been done in europe.
This is the 3.0 TDI that managed 400bhp
http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-performance-mods/37186-402-2hp-850nm-3-a.html

Nice one man Thats some good info right there im gonna do some research into it and figure how to get it on, will get myself the mishimoto intercooler next week . Thanks again dude you have been a big help

Hi, any luck with changing stock turbo with GTB2260?
Reason being I have exactly the same car which has a turbo problem (vanes rubbing on housing) so I bought a GTB2260 to replace it. I've not removed the stock turbo yet, hoping that original actuator will go on the on the Garrett!
Cheers

Unfortunately it's not that straightforward as other wise lots of people would have done it. I think @bobby singh was looking into a change of ECU and some rewiring to enable the actuator problem to be resolved. There are other things to resolve regards the physical mounting with a different oil drain and oil feed as well as the exhaust downpipe.

Thanks for the reply Karl.
I've been following your build, looks like you know what you're taking about.
Do you recon it's worth a try swapping the actuators if I can manage to mount them or do you think I should sell the GTB2260 on?
Cheers
Stu

Im doing bv50 to 2260 job in the new year. Unfortunately its not so straight forward. And to be honest I won't know more until i start doing it.
If it works it'll open up a new avenue for bv50 cars.

Cheers

Reactions: joedredd
Cheers Bobby,
I would be very interested in the outcome. My car's off the road and I'm planning to put it in my garage to start tinkering in mid December. If I can be of assistance with the bv50 to gt2260 then please let me know.
I don't know whether you would like to start a need thread just for this topic?
Karl points out that there's an issue with the oil feed and mounting as well as the actuator problem, I could probably deal with the oil and mounting but I don't have VCDS.
I have found a few people on the net who have been looking into the pin allocation for the kkk and Audi spec Garrett turbo actuators. Looks like the Siemens actuator just receives and send info back to the ecu as does the Hella. Maybe a vacuum actuator could be fitted to piggyback the electric actuator?
Would you like me to send you what I've found out (it'll take me a while wading through my web history)?
Stu

Going back to this thread.
Sam, have you looked into aftermarket side mounted intercoolers as more of a sleath upgrade option on the b7 3.0 tdi v6? There are a couple of larger Porsche smic's on eBay I was looking into.
Have you already bought a fmic?
Obviously I need to get my turbo sorted before ploughing money into the charge cooling but it's worth me looking into that too.
Stu

Hi Stu i have a internal document which will help.
However, its not so easy to feed wires into the loom mould (weather seal) - i has melted hard rubber.
Then the software side is the biggest challenge - but I have a couple of idea's.

If they work out i'll post my findings.

Most BV50 auto boxes are 6hp 19 which are pretty weak but I've pushed 300hp / 700nm and they seem fine.

Im doing bv50 to 2260 job in the new year. Unfortunately its not so straight forward. And to be honest I won't know more until i start doing it.
If it works it'll open up a new avenue for bv50 cars.

Cheers
Any update on this? What would be the advantage for the 2260 over the bv50? Not worth it to just hybrid the bv50?