b7 1.9 Limp Mode with noise, but no smoke and turbo fine!!? Experts out there?

krisavant

Reaction score
My b7 1.9 115bhp just started going into limp mode with a weird noise, checked turbo fins look sharp and pretty clean, boost control sensor maybe?? And where is it??

The noise is also quite loud, it's not a whistle or a whine or boost leak.

Any help (anything) appreciated.

Last edited:
also fault code 16683 brought this up ..Boost Pressure Regulation: Control Range Not Reached - Underboost maybe?

I would pretty much say you have a boost leak. You need to check all the hoses, hose joints , intercooler etc. Usually where there is any leak you will see wet oil patches.small tears in a boost hose can be hard to see initially.

Reactions: iucle
Cannot see any leaks anywhere I've had it on ramp for an hour. I've cleaned the egr valve but I have had that fault code come up also recently.
Im cleaning turbo out now.

Solved!! Cracked egr cooler, previous owner bypassed water cooling due to small crack inside, crack grew bigger from the extra heat allowing gases through the crack and out through the old water exists losing pressure.
Plugged ends for now until new cooler arrives.
Full boost back!

Told you it was a boost leak, Slightly unusual one though :) . Glad you are getting there

Reactions: krisavant
Solved!! Cracked egr cooler, previous owner bypassed water cooling due to small crack inside, crack grew bigger from the extra heat allowing gases through the crack and out through the old water exists losing pressure.
Plugged ends for now until new cooler arrives.
Full boost back![/QUOTECommon fault with the egr cooler flange welds by the manifold is this were the leak was?

update..
The ends I plugged worked well but as a result of no water cooling the 'egr cooler' one off the pipes decided to snap/blow clean off, leaving a 10p size hole also leaving me in limp mode and sounding like a tractor. Also the top pipe coming from the egr decided to crack.
Sooooo I have removed all pipes and cooler and blanked both ends also disabling the egr in the closed position.
Result.... Obviously full boost, no boost leakes, no water loss, no smokey cabin. Quite fragile things really, very tin like.

Hi, how did you remove the cooler. I have the same problem. I have looped the coolant pipea together and have brought Forgr motorsport blanking plates to completely blank the egr system. I just cant get onto the cooler mounting bolt near the turbo actuator and the furthest nut on the cooler pipe to exhaust manifold. Please help me, thanks!