B6 to B7 Cabriolet rear lamp upgrade instructions

DrStrange

Reaction score
Good evening Chaps,

Over the years there seems to be several post entries on here and other AUDI forums about the popular rear lamp upgrade that a lot of us B6 cabriolet owners take to.

I though I would request this information so Audi heads can refer to it, of exactly what they need to do.

As the saying goes, there is more than one way to skin a cat and have read that there are 2 main methods of a full and successful rear lamp upgrade/retrofit;

1. Purchase both rear lamps. EuroCar Parts currently offers the best price at £92-ish per lamp. Second is TPS who offer them for about £108 all in but you can negotiate with them for about £100 all in.

2a. Purchase adapter looms to cancel out error displayed on DIS of car. Only place I can find these are from a company called Kufatec.
2b. Make your own looms to do the same as the above. Need obvious 'sparky' like qualities.

3. Installation. The B7 lamps are a straight swap as the connectors are the same. The below pic includes the error cancelling looms.
$T2eC16F,!zEE9s3!(I6DBRgWi(26zw~~60_12.JPG

4. Coding. The lights then need to be coded using VCDS software to change the defaulted top tail light % level from the B6 Cabriolet. Meaning, the B7 Cabriolet rear lamps should only have the square light in the middle lit up when you have the taillights on and not anything else. If you do not code them, the top light will be slightly dimmed when you have the tail lights on instead of just the square light at the centre of the rear lamp.

QUESTIONS

1. Are these the only options with regards to looms? Can you perhaps change the Pin connector layout on the B7 Cabriolet rear lamps? If so how is it possible?

2. Is there anything else to know about this retrofit? (I have left out the 3rd breaklight strip retrofit on purpose as I believe its fairly straight forward if going that route)

3. Is there a VCDS user in the London area that could code them? The drinks will be on me;)

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated and hopefully for other members too!

:D

I don't use kufatec, build any myself for clients, so if you want a supply/fit solution, give me a shout mate

Anyone know the pinouts, and the resistor(s) required to make/convert the wiring?

OK ... my mission is to find the pinouts and resistor(s) required and create a post dedicated to swapping over the rear lights.

People who have figured it out have got greedy, and will only sell the looms/information.

Reactions: Darren92
Figured out the wiring, and coding.
Just need to get a resistor 6.8 ohms 20w for the missing reverse bulb, and test it out.
I will create a in depth guide with photos shortly for anyone interested.

Reactions: john777w
Figured out the wiring, and coding.
Just need to get a resistor 6.8 ohms 20w for the missing reverse bulb, and test it out.
I will create a in depth guide with photos shortly for anyone interested.

Great going! That would be a GREAT help! Yes please although, I wouldn't know how to DIY.

I don't use kufatec, build any myself for clients, so if you want a supply/fit solution, give me a shout mate

Thanks NHN! This is helpful to know. To be honest as I have the Rear Lamps in my possession, I will be trying to figure out how to do it myself on this occasion..albeit no where near as good as your install would be.

Do you travel to London at all?

Dan.

Great going! That would be a GREAT help! Yes please although, I wouldn't know how to DIY.

Hi DrStrange,
Honestly if I can do it anyone can, and all it is going to cost is pence for a resistor.
Do you have a soldering iron, and some heat shrink?
If not, pop into your local Maplin and get both.
I am going to write up an in depth guide, but if you need anything sooner, then just PM or email me.

Cheers
Ben

Reactions: Marian344
Thanks a lot Ben,

Yes I can find both lying around somewhere. I would be interested (and indeed others) to see how you did the above.

Vagcabby on here has cracked this and been extremely helpful. Thanks for the PM offer!

Dan.

Hi DrStrange,
Honestly if I can do it anyone can, and all it is going to cost is pence for a resistor.
Do you have a soldering iron, and some heat shrink?
If not, pop into your local Maplin and get both.
I am going to write up an in depth guide, but if you need anything sooner, then just PM or email me.

Cheers
Ben
hello, please
help with pictures or information for the correct wiring and not to have warnings of a burnt bulb on the board. Thank you very much