B6 S4 paddle shift not working correctly - changing 2 gears instead of 1

Gurpreet Singh

Reaction score
Hi,

I went to see someone for a remap and around that time the paddle shift has stopped working as it should. Sometimes it will change 2 gears when I press + or - once, and other times I will press them and nothing happens (video below). Using the gearstick in the manual mode works fine but I'd prefer to paddle shift as you need to use paddle shift in sports mode. On a rare occasion the car will shift once (as it should) but this hasn't happened recently.

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/br2y743prrjpicw/VID-20160220-WA0029.mp4?dl=0

I've cleaned around the + and - stalks using electrical cleaner and compressed air but this still happens. It does look like a software thing though because it doesn't instantly change gear twice, it hesitates for a second before changing again.

Under steering wheel the SCSM address is correct - 01141 and the remap I went for was tiptronic compatible.

Any ideas would be great, nothing is showing under VCDS relating to this so I'm not sure what to check next

I had some spare time yesterday so I used the VCDS to try and see if any coding or adaptions could be made to the steering wheel or transmission. I logged into the auto trans and changed the coding for the Tiptronic mode from Tiptronic in drive + tip mode, to just tip mode (I believe it's the 3rd bit, change from 1 to 0). I'll try this out today or tomorrow and reply with my findings.

Bump, I tried to change the auto trans to only paddle shift when in manual. The same thing happens, every time I press the + or - it shifts twice, then other times I press it and it doesn't work. I checked the measuring blocks again and every time I press the + or - it works fine (tested 50 times each, 100% success)

I can't think of anything else to try so any ideas will help

Hi it might need the oil and filter changing in the box if it has them.

Phil.

Going to get these changed on Friday, will post back on the outcome. I've got a 30 mile drive back so should be able to check it out properly.