B6 S4 first attempt at using DA and detailing.

Chris-Vspec

Reaction score
As the sun finally decided to show its face on the south coast I decided to go out and buy some new cleaning products for the S4 and have a go at detailing the car and using a machine polisher in the process, below are pics of the stages I used, I am overall really happy with the results although it did take me the best part of 6 hours from start to finish and it was hot maybe a little too warm to get the best out of the products I used.

First of all I washed the car using auto glym bodywork shampoo and dried using a chamois ( I don't have any drying towels yet )

9fad50479ee0393a87392611335a380d_zps515bb047.jpg

I then clayed the car using meguiers quik detailer clay kit. I've never clayed a car before and found it really easy to use, I couldn't believe what it picked up after washing the car.

7f347df611e30623008b4f0d35f920dd_zps03e8a549.jpg

Once that was done I took a few pics of the state of the paint and scratches

f863ff8a39824e7c250895f7732f31e8_zps5e58e66c.jpg

39b77ff6fd1f34189185e5751cfcaa96_zps7d200201.jpg

now out came the DA I've never used it before but kept everything damp and worked progressively around the car, I used meguiers ultimate compound, it seemed to go on well although I made so much mess with the splatter ( any advice on how better to do this would be appreciated)

b9c4a28c94059712a3c6ce078f942873_zps15c7575b.jpg

I then cleaned up the mess and re washed the car with auto glym again and then began with the wax, I like auto glym high definition wax but am thinking of giving dodo juice a try just not sure which one.

6f2ce9a0eef9b284dfa18b52ebcb2e20_zps7e3573aa.jpg

while the wax was working I went round and sealed the wheel paintwork with paint sealing polish not sure on brand

958a3c3fd08a74189181461a5c67613d_zps4ad74e97.jpg

buffed the whole lot off and was left with this

c7bfe77d297e4f7b9b6f0418f4269ebf_zpsb89c4f48.jpg

0882adb03bcd7817891a4b3764bff084_zps3eadef67.jpg

d0046df8e9f94f74c62aebdaa958ed8f_zps0b6b6658.jpg

and the difference in paintwork quality, the light had changed when pics were taken but you get the idea.

2dc9b7fada9e75b278f0352b287ac47e_zps1bbc8632.jpg

ee6b74203bf0c8e4c44706a4a3483c40_zps31b00023.jpg

as the light faded I went round with auto glym extra gloss protection to finish it off. I'm shattered now but overall pleased for a first go, any comments welcome on other stages I could do, products I should use or even how to improve and take less time.

Reactions: tcscotland, Gourlay1990, scotty76 and 4 others
Nice job, nice car & nice colour!
Splatter can be from machine spinning to fast and no doubt it probably is with a Makita or too much compound/water.
Only very small amounts are needed, you'll be surprised.

That looks amazing mate! I'm hoping to get mine done over the summer as the paintwork is a little tired. I feel lost when considering what to do with it all though, so love reading posts like this.

I just need to decide what DA to buy (or rotary) and then all the other bits.

Chris did an amazing job so much so he spent the afternoon doing our other car today. Both look amazing i cant believe the difference on the s4 paintwork. Really pleased with it thankyou :)

Nice job, nice car & nice colour!
Splatter can be from machine spinning to fast and no doubt it probably is with a Makita or too much compound/water.
Only very small amounts are needed, you'll be surprised.

i did use a makita so that may explain some of the mess, I played around with the rpm settings a little bit which helped, it takes forever to get the over polish off the plastics, still finding it now.

That looks amazing mate! I'm hoping to get mine done over the summer as the paintwork is a little tired. I feel lost when considering what to do with it all though, so love reading posts like this.

I just need to decide what DA to buy (or rotary) and then all the other bits.

thank you, it really isn't that hard to do with the right equipment and chemicals its just time consuming especially the first time, the stuff I used listed above applies and comes off really well, it's best not to do it when the paint is hot, it really was a little too warm for it yesterday, I did our other car today and its been overcast and not so hot, it was much easier if I'm honest although its not so pleasant being outside in it all day.

FYI the polisher you are using in your pics is not a DA, its a Rotary :)

Good job though!

FYI the polisher you are using in your pics is not a DA, its a Rotary :)

Good job though!

+1... I was about to say this too... ;)

OP, a few points from me...

The splatter is because of too much product and/or running the machine too fast... always start it off very slow, then build up the speed (not too much) then back down again to refine...

Going from your pic using the machine, your pad isn't square on the bodywork.... try and keep it as flat as possible.

and lastly, don't put your wax pot on the newly polished surface... it may scratch the paint again! :icon_thumright:

But apart from those small things, it looks good... nice work...

Reactions: Chris-Vspec
Great job Chris. S4's looking v nice. Good write up too. Thanks.

don't put your wax pot on the newly polished surface... it may scratch the paint again! :icon_thumright:

But apart from those small things, it looks good... nice work...

thanks for the advice, I was very careful with the pot and was only for photo purpose.

apologies I didn't realise it was a rotary and not DA I'm not sure on the difference, I'm very new to detailing.

finally have taken on board speed settings on machine and position of polisher, I did try to keep it as flat as possible but definitely need to work on the technique a lot more. I really appreciate the guidance, since the S4 detail I did our B7 special edition, much improved although still far from perfection.

There is way less risk of burning through the clear coat or paint with a DA ... Rotary tends to be for pro retailers. Google paint burn through for horror stories :)

A da is a dual action, it basically makes a pattern like a spirograph, which means the paint heats less. But it takes more time to achieve the look.

A rotary literally just rotates around one spot, so paint can heat quicker.

Apparently...ha.

thanks for the advice, I was very careful with the pot and was only for photo purpose.

apologies I didn't realise it was a rotary and not DA I'm not sure on the difference, I'm very new to detailing.

finally have taken on board speed settings on machine and position of polisher, I did try to keep it as flat as possible but definitely need to work on the technique a lot more. I really appreciate the guidance, since the S4 detail I did our B7 special edition, much improved although still far from perfection.

OK, "photo purposes only" gotcha.... ;) :o.k:

The rotaries are great machines, and you have one of the best there…. They are in no way dangerous or a bad thing if used sensibly… they seem to have a bad rep caused by muppets burning paint as they have no clue how to use their tools, the old "bad workmen blame their tools" springs to mind…

The last test I saw, done with a wool pad and cutting polish (basically the most abrasive combo known) took about 8 minutes of full speed and very hard pressure to burn Audi paint….

The watch points are the edges of the pad or curves and edges of the panels, and if you don’t keep the pads flat and put more pressure on one bit of the paint….

You can actually just use a rotary machine and water to detail paint… ;)

DA’s still have their place, I use mine for wet sanding, sticky paint and glazes etc… but most of the time the rotary is the best tool for the job (IMO) and I am in no way a professional… I am better than a h£ll of a lot of the “professionals” I see mind you… :lol:

So take your time, think about what you are doing, and always start off with the lightest combo and work back the way…. You’ll be fine…

Here is a pretty good guide for working with a rotary:

Machine Polishing by Rotary Polisher - Full Guide - Detailing World

Hope that helps.....

Reactions: crazy88
That looks awesome I'm also expecting to get my own done over summer time season as the paint is a little exhausted. I feel missing when considering what to do with it all though, so in fact i did really loved studying content like this . . . . . ..

Thanks for all the kind comments, I'm glad you like it, just wush it stayed that clean... I have to say though, I washed and dried it in half the time I usually do and it looked really good still when done