B6 normal steering wheel to B6 MFSW

Ralphthemouth

Reaction score
So I've just fitted a B6 MFSW airbag unit to my non MFSW. I've got the steering angle sensor from a car with MFSW. I have the airbag wiring harness and little wheel control box from a cabriolet with tip tronic wheel. I have DIS and cruise working.

I've coded the wheel to correct spec.
The horn works and the MFSW buttons light up but they don't work and I keep getting error code saying steering wheel controls no communication. (E221).

Im stumped. Im using stock concert radio. If the buttons didn't light I'd think no power. But they do illuminate. Could the cabriolet airbag wiring harness not be multifunction. It came on a steering wheel with the little module inserted and was tip tronic. There's no part number on it though.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Go into the adaption channels and see if it is switched to working, and what happens when the buttons are pressed. From there you might be able to see what is going on.

I was coding a mfsw and the buttons wouldn't work, turns out the connected got squished at the back, a bit of soldering and it was fine.

Thanks Matt. I'll go and look now. There isn't any coding to do in the radio is there? As I can't access the radio module on my ebay vcds lead.

Just had a look, and actually there is...

Code:
0xxxxx?: Equipment II
[*]+1 = Standard/Basic Value - Add to the Sum of Options below
[*]+1 = TV-Tuner (PR-QV1/QV9) installed
[*]+2 = CD-Changer or iPod/USB-Interface (PR-7A2/7A5/UF1/UF2) installed
[*]+4 = Multi-Function-Steering Wheel (MFSW) installed

I'd check that first, as the wires seems not be broken as power is going through (lights are on).

Edit; taken from here - http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Audi_Radio_Generation_II#Coding

Well, adaption channels don't show anything. Measuring blocks show multifunction as 'not OK' in communication block and each button press doesn't show any measurements.

Sorry, measuring blocks is what I meant. So not ok would mean it isn't communicating with the module, so maybe is a broke wire somewhere...

I would retrace until the measuring blocks state that communication is ok.

Ok mate. The one I coded the guy sent me this pic of the broken wires. So maybe check there? I'm not sure as haven't ever taken the wheel off mine or anything...

IMG 20161020 WA0001

Ah right. That's a b7 wheel. I just put a B6 mfsw in. It's much more basic than that.

It was in a b7, so that would be why!! Lol. Good noticing.

Ah, he also said he needed a new controller actually. Let me look through the texts.

I have the Q ending sccm and the Q ending slip ring. Which supposedly are the Highline modules supporting everything.

He said he didn't have the 12pin slip ring, but did have the module ending in Q. The slip ring is what he needed. He said MFSW needs the 12pin slip ring. Hth

Thats no problem.

I don't know if the head unit needs to be coded for the mfsw. I know the option is there, as stated earlier.

I know you can't access it with the eBay cable, but maybe try someone on the VCDS map that can access it. Would be easier than taken wheel off and looking for a split

Reactions: Ralphthemouth
Hi again. Just wanted to confirm. There aren't any relays or anything else that I need for this retrofit? I've tried another b6 cabriolet airbag, harness and module and the buttons still light up but dont work. It must be the concert 2 radio that needs coding.

Well in the 4th post on this thread, my second post, I did say you needed to code the radio for MFSW.

Add 4 to the number you got already at the end.

So it would be 1 for nothing. 2 for TV tuner. 3 for CD changer, 5 for MFSW. If you got MFSW and CD changer it would be 7.

Reactions: Ralphthemouth
So, with lovely help of fellow member Pauldazzle, we changed the radio code to accept multifunction. Still nothing. Attempted to re-learn the new steering wheel code and after inputting 00111 into channel 81, it says 'Bus not OK' in the box. And I still have error code from steering wheel saying, 'controls no communication from module'. So what bus is not ok? And are there any relays or fuses that are linked to multifunction steering wheels on the B6?

Can someone please be kind enough and confirm if the Concert 2 single din radio is compatible with a MFSW? Has anyone actually seen one in a car with a multifunction steering wheel? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Can someone please be kind enough and confirm if the Concert 2 single din radio is compatible with a MFSW? Has anyone actually seen one in a car with a multifunction steering wheel? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
Hello hello. Did you solve the problem? I'm in the same situation as you were and I'm facing the same problem. Any advice would be welcome

Reactions: pbaran
Hello, just wanted to chime in as I'm doing a similar upgrade to my B6. I don't think the SCCM ending in 'Q' is compatible with the B6 MFSW. If you look at this page http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Cruise_Control_Retrofitting_(8E) you will see that there are many versions of the SCCM, but what this wiki doesn't mention is that the most recent Q and R revisions are specific to the B7.

So, you would need a midline SCCM ending with L or N or a highline module ending in M or P. FWIW I looked up these part numbers on http://OemVwShop.com and it lists them as being B6 specific. Most people doing this mod on a B6 - either to support cruise control, or a MFSW - have found that the 'N' part is the most readily available on eBay.

Also required is a B6 specific clockring/squib with the 12 pins (8E0953541E). I don't think the B6 MFSW connector physically fits into the B7 squib, so the original poster has presumably modified their connector housing to fit? That's a clue that things aren't right, lol.

Last edited:
Hello, just wanted to chime in as I'm doing a similar upgrade to my B6. I don't think the SCCM ending in 'Q' is compatible with the B6 MFSW. If you look at this page http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Cruise_Control_Retrofitting_(8E) you will see that there are many versions of the SCCM, but what this wiki doesn't mention is that the most recent Q and R revisions are specific to the B7.

So, you would need a midline SCCM ending with L or N or a highline module ending in M or P. FWIW I looked up these part numbers on http://OemVwShop.com and it lists them as being B6 specific. Most people doing this mod on a B6 - either to support cruise control, or a MFSW - have found that the 'N' part is the most readily available on eBay.

Also required is a B6 specific clockring/squib with the 12 pins (8E0953541E). I don't think the B6 MFSW connector physically fits into the B7 squib, so the original poster has presumably modified their connector housing to fit? That's a clue that things aren't right, lol.
Hello, well, I have the "N" SCCM (I bought it when I was retrofitting the cruise control) after a while I bought the clockring and the mfsw from another car (also b6). I coded the MFSW, I dont know if there is a coding for the clockring ? I can't find which are the impulse wire/s that are coming out of the SCCM so I could connect them to the radio, or better say HOW CAN I FIND OUT? Anyone could help? Thank you PBARAN for the informative post

What is the part number of your clockring? It should end in ‘E’. If it ends in ‘C’, it won’t work. Do your MFSW buttons light up?

Have you made sure the wiring is correct inside the steering wheel? There should be a specific harness for the MFSW buttons which connects to a control module on the steering wheel, it’s slotted in below the bolt that holds the wheel to the steering shaft. The non-MFSW four spoke wheel doesn’t have this module.

I doubt the clockring can be coded as it doesn’t actually contain any electronics (well apart from the steering angle sensor but that’s kind of separate). I think regarding MFSW functions it just acts as a passthrough for the wiring.

I would be confident that a Concert II radio would work with the MFSW, as it’s supposed to be identical to the Symphony II in terms of features, other than lack of CD changer and cassette deck. But I’m not 100% on this.

Last edited:
What is the part number of your clockring? It should end in ‘E’. If it ends in ‘C’, it won’t work. Do your MFSW buttons light up?

Have you made sure the wiring is correct inside the steering wheel? There should be a specific harness for the MFSW buttons which connects to a control module on the steering wheel, it’s slotted in below the bolt that holds the wheel to the steering shaft. The non-MFSW four spoke wheel doesn’t have this module.

I doubt the clockring can be coded as it doesn’t actually contain any electronics (well apart from the steering angle sensor but that’s kind of separate). I think regarding MFSW functions it just acts as a passthrough for the wiring.

I would be confident that a Concert II radio would work with the MFSW, as it’s supposed to be identical to the Symphony II in terms of features, other than lack of CD changer and cassette deck. But I’m not 100% on this.
Hello,
I should check the number but as I said I bought the clockring and the MFSW completely together from another a4 b6 (module, harnesses everything is there). The Mfsw buttons are lighted up when I tourn the lights on. On a VAG it was showing NO COMMUNICATION (something like that I don't remember good) maybe because I have two connectors (no bose), one for power and another one for the speakers. Maybe I dont have CAN, because I see some "after" wiring. I thought it's simple but it showed it's not . Some say that I should find the impulse MFSW buttons wire which I don't know which one is. And seriously I'm not quitting but must say I'm getting tired . Thanks