B6 Brake Upgrade

AudiAndy21

Reaction score
Hi Guys

been searching the forum for a clear answer on brakes and upgrading them but i cant seem to find the certain answer to my question.

i want to upgrade my brakes on my 2003 Audi A4 2.5TDi Quattro as i feel i just get too much brake fade and the car is too big for the brakes it has on.
i am running genuien Audi RS6 18inch Alloys with 10mm spacers on the front, i want a straight forward bolt on upgrade no messing about i want the calipers to bolt on and to slip the discs on bleed and hey presto ( never that easy) but doable in half a day?

i have been looking through ebay and this site and as far as i can see i have a few options

S4 Calipers pre facelift 320mms discs or Facelift 345 discs ( if they would fit ) Braided lines and performance pads

Audi A8 Calipers and 320mm discs

Seat leon brembos ( not sure if they will directly fit )

please let me know your thoughts ect and your ideas

you using cheapo pads m8 or never changed your fluid never once had brake fade on mine..... even with a little abuse. for standard brakes i rate them big time tbh.

Realy? hmm i dont know i am fairly heavy footed. thanks for the fast response.

i did fancy the b5 S4 upgrade BUT the B6 S4 upgrade use 345mm discs which might fill the wheels better?

Any more ideas or recomendations

agree with tdi sport about the standard factory fit brakes, however if you do want to upgrade then B6/B7 S4 or B7 RS4 would be the logical choice......

ive got oem jurid disks n pads and rate them loads the last upgrade id be doing is the brakes unless you do have some pad issue's or fluid as been ****** m8....... imo my std one are brill my subaru sti brembos was much worse than the a4 using brembo pads etc...
considering my subaru felt a much lighter car to stop

I've never found my 2.5q brakes lacking in anyway, I regularly commute in the middle of the night so can put them to the limit when opportunity presents. I'm inclined to agree something must be amiss with yours if they're that bad.

B7 2.0T brakes are a popular mod too, I'm not sure on sizes as I've never really felt the need to look into it.

hmm i might be in need of a brake fluid change possibly and a performance set of pads braided lines and grooved discs... will see would be nice to get a bigger set of brakes behind the wheels tho :)

2.5 brakes are 312 vs 288 for the 1.9, although I think 1.9q's might be 312 too but I'm not sure on that.

White Akita, what settings on VCDS to do that, its a new one on me....!

2.5 brakes are 312 vs 288 for the 1.9, although I think 1.9q's might be 312 too but I'm not sure on that.

White Akita, what settings on VCDS to do that, its a new one on me....!

i swear my brakes are only 288mm... when i look on ebay they vary in size from 288-312mm...

i recently replaced the discs and pads. I went for brembo max discs, these are grooved but not heavily, and a set of brembo pads,the improvement was amazing, nearly shot through the windscreen the first time i stamped on them. Also had a full fluid change, £30 at my local independant. Discs and pads cost £130. very happy

i swear my brakes are only 288mm... when i look on ebay they vary in size from 288-312mm...

I have been wrong before! That was my understanding, but Audi are never scared to throw a curved ball when it comes to spec levels!

I have been wrong before! That was my understanding, but Audi are never scared to throw a curved ball when it comes to spec levels!

True.. Audi do seem to enjoy putting different variants of everything on different models
The alternator clutch bearing went.. The dealer said it could be one of many and i had to get the model number off the clutch!
Cheaper than a new alternator though ;-)

Mine is a 53 plate Sport.... Not sure if this throws things even wider on what it will have standard :shrug:

I have just changed up from an 2.5tdi A4 Cab to an S4 cab, and the brakes are night and day. The S4 brakes feel so much stronger and confidence inspiring.

So I would say its a worthwhile upgrade..

Sorry to thread jack ! What discs and pads you guys recommend ? Mines a 2003 3.0Q avant !!

I have just changed up from an 2.5tdi A4 Cab to an S4 cab, and the brakes are night and day. The S4 brakes feel so much stronger and confidence inspiring.

So I would say its a worthwhile upgrade..

I'm guessing the 2.5 cab being a 163 had 288 discs though?

I'm guessing the 2.5 cab being a 163 had 288 discs though?

What I have seen is that most model's have the 288mm brakes, but the 3.0 petrol is the one that had the 312mm brakes.

We've discussed this before, and I 'think' its the quattro models that have the 312mm brakes.

i'll have ago at taking a measurment in the morning but pretty sure mine was also 312mm fronts..... also theres 2 sizes of rears and mine had the bigger disc ones....

i'll have ago at taking a measurment in the morning but pretty sure mine was also 312mm fronts..... also theres 2 sizes of rears and mine had the bigger disc ones....

Mines the Sport the same as yours. I wonder if this has uprated disks to the bigger 312's as it does have uprated/lowered springs/shocks

A few year ago i had a 2002 b6 1.9tdi awx 130bhp remapped and after he mapped it he told me to go for a bit of a drive to see if i was happy with the improved power, which i was very happy but i also noticed my brakes were not as sharp as they were before the remap even at slow speeds. I told the tuner this and he told me that there were a few settings for the brakes, he then plugged his laptop back in and within 10 mins my brakes were back to razor sharp. They were definately adjusted electronically.

Lol,02 plate 2.5 tdi sport fwd definately 312mm as just replaced them with brembo discs & jurid pads
find they work very well.Will throw some braided lines on & some dot 5 in just because the car has turned
over 118,000

mines deffo 288 :( can i just get some confirmation what 321mm brakes will fit ? will the s4 brakes fit the twin piston caliper ones?

Lol,02 plate 2.5 tdi sport fwd definately 312mm as just replaced them with brembo discs & jurid pads
find they work very well.Will throw some braided lines on & some dot 5 in just because the car has turned
over 118,000

excactly the same as ive just fitted to mine m8 brmbo disc and jurid pads i find them brill if im honest

cheers mate i have 10 mm already on the front :) what year s4 brakes should i go for and will i just need the calipers carrier and discs?

I paid £250 for a full S4 setup with hubs and driveshafts.

I've put 2 links to S4 setups off the B5 in the ebay section going for low monies.

OK cool, just looked at them and also found just caliper for a B7 2.0T at £280 so a full front and rear setup for £350 should be a bargain.

OEM Brake Upgrades

B6A4 1.8t-
Same Caliper as B6A4 3.0
Front Rotor: 288x25
Rear Rotor: 245x10 or 255x12

To check size of rear rotor, remove and check part #:
8E0 615 601 P = 245x10mm
8E0 615 601 D = 255x12mm

B6A4 3.0- Same Caliper as B6A4 1.8t
Front Rotor: 312x25
Rear Rotor: 255x12

B5S4
Front Rotor: 321x30
Rear Rotor: 256x22

B6S4- Same Caliper as B7A4 & B7S4
Front Rotor: 345x30
Rear Rotor: 300x22

B7A4- Same Caliper as B6S4 & B7S4
Front Rotor: 320x30
Rear Rotor: 288x12

B7S4- Same Caliper as B6S4 & B7A4
Front Rotor: 345x30
Rear Rotor: 300x20

Sorry to revive an old thread but can any one tell me if the B5 s4 rear brake set up will fit a b6 1.8tqs?