B6 1.8TQ Clutch change, DMF necessary???

LeeT

Reaction score
The clutch is very high on my A4 1.8TQ so im getting it booked in to get the clutch done. Is the Dual mass flywheel change a necessity? I have no judder at all its just very high on the pedal. Also what does the dual mass flywheel actually do? how does it differ from a solid one?
Thanks ..Lee

Well i guess it really depends how worn it is. but i changed mine not so long ago, was tight on money so just replaced clutch and its ok (140k on it). no issues.
the dmf is like a kind of damper between drive train and the engine. makes for a smoother drive stops the jerky gearchanges. as a solid one doesn't do this.
but as for changing it, you could just take the punt and change it. or wait till its off and get it checked out. as for solid one or dual mass its a personal option. i would stick with dual mass.

also i'd get the oilseal changed on the crank while the box is off.

I think all A4 clutch pedals are 'high', so it's not necessarily a sign that it's gone.

But, for the relative little extra cost, when mine needs changing I'm going to do the DMF for peace of mind anyway.

I'm learning a bit of preventative maintenance doesn't hurt with these B6's.... :3sadwalk::blink:

I had my clutch and dmf changed a few days ago. My wallet took a beating. Lol
but it feels like a new car now. I would change both if I was you, depends how u feel about it.

thanks for the replies. The pedal is very high and when changing gear when accelerating hard the revs dont drop. It is very high and only a matter of time in my opinion until it slips. Ive had a B6 S4 and the clutch wasnt high at all. Think i'll just buy the LUK clutch and get the mechanic to check the fly whilst hes at it.