B5 Tip Fuel Consumption?

fran-s3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I know I know before you all say it - you don't buy a B5 Tip to improve fuel consumption - far from it really! ;)

But I was just curious (if anyone's actually managed to drive sensibly with one fitted) have you found it uses any more fuel than with a standard airbox? I was thinking (and I may be completely wrong so please correct me if so) that in 'theory' if it's making the turbo more efficient it may even increase MPG if driven off boost... Dunno?!

:)

Last edited:
buy a diesel.. lol

I think we need proof it makes your car more economical! :idea: :nyah:

How ironic would it be if it actually did - could be another target audience their Bill hehe!

I definately use more fuel with the B5 TIP, but that's probably becasue the car was running lean before I had it (and a new map) fitted.

I get about 27mpg at the moment at an average speed of 19mph.

But surely the TIP is just allowing more air to enter the engine through a larger diameter inlet, rather than changing the fuel:air ratio?? So consumption should be the same as before for the same driving style?

I think we need proof it makes your car more economical! :idea: :nyah:

How ironic would it be if it actually did - could be another target audience their Bill hehe!

lol... I make no claims for economy.. thats not what I designed it for..
if it does.. happy days..

:shrug:

More air = more fuel to maintain the same AFR... you get more power but always at the expense of economy... the way you drive however will affect mpg more than a B5 TIP will... improved low end torque will help but at the end of the day more power will always come at the expense of mpg...

<tuffty/>

Since I got my b5 tip, I have managed anymore than 22mpg to a tank.... Although to be fair that's nobody fault but my own, I just love the sound. But after almost a year I'm getting wise and backing off :p

Mine still did 22mpg after a few track sessions @ADI last year! Same MPG in my opinion, unless you are just driving quicker for the sound, which is rather addictive admittedly.

Reactions: fran-s3
Thanks for the replies guys! If anyone can remember how it compares when driven steadily (B5 compared to how yours was before) I'd be curious to know... :)

I so need to get my B5 TIP fitted (well, Fran-S3's old-but-never-fitted one).

My new v2 B5 Tip should be going on at the weekend as she's at the garage getting brakes done to!

I so need to come get my door blade off you - I haven't forgotten! :)

It's still here Fran, no worries. Need to get my passenger side blade replaced soon before it properly comes away and starts flapping in the breeze!