B5 stereo wiring mess (1998)

Andyb5tdi

B5 1.9TDi AFN
Reaction score
I'm guessing the Blue/Green/Yellow connectors (2nd picture) are what used to plug into the OEM stereo back in the day?

Should the loose ring terminal be earthed?

What is in the black heat shrink, or more what does it do... (Its a little circuit board with various components)

Are there built in amplifiers etc?

Basically I just want to fit a new head unit (JVC KD DB101) and some new speakers

Any help would be appreciated

Andy

Photo 1

Photo 2
Photo 3

Heat shrink just looks like there’s block connectors in there, other than that I dunno, wiring is not my forte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, deffo components in there dude, tempted to cut it open, but then would have to cover it up again lol

Looks like someone’s had a go at this, I should be able to give you some guidance. The black box looks to be power, you may find a fuse inside the case. The light blue wire from here should be switched power (ignition) and would point to there being an amp as it goes out with a ground along with 4 other cables into the yellow connector - probably the four audio line outs to the amp, the brown connector could be the can-bus for steering wheel controls and dash info. All the gubbins in the heatshrink may well be an audio filter where they’ve removed a bose system and had to overcome the engine whine picked up by the amplifier.

I’d personally leave it all there, it’s not going to hurt taking the ring to ground but I’d stick your new head unit in and see if you get any noise as there are already ground connections in there. The two connectors you’re left with (black and orange at the bottom or the picture) are pretty standard connectors, take a pic of these end on and compare them to the back of what you’re purchasing. If they don’t fit Halfords do a great array of adaptors. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Tom, sorry for the late reply, very limited net atm grrrr. I'll take a look when I get 5 and let you know what I find

Reactions: TheTomCutler
this is the rear speaker interface for the active rear speakers. without it the rears won't work at all