B5 S4 Tuning

nemo2182

Reaction score
Help.........
Im booked in to have my S4 tuned by AMD in two weeks, but is it me or are they going down hill???Standard maps (No customised), no rolling road (So no Dyno Chart). To be fair I'm getting a wicked deal, below is whats getting done.

Pipercross Element Filter
Sparks
2 x DV's
Remap
CAT-back Milltek system
Fitting Samco 12 piece Hose Kit
Cambelt change
Air-con Gas Recharge

Got all that for 2.2k, so I was pretty happy with that. Quoted 315-320BHP.

Basically, Is there any other companies I should look at? I've seen MTM, but again its around same BHP, at £1275 before VAT, could turn out expensive....
I chose AMD orginally cos they did a wicked job with my 1.8T A4. Any help would be appreciated, plus can anyone give me rough 0-60mph + 1/4 mile times from the work im getting done.

Cheers

Nathan

AMD exist in name only, they were bought out a while ago and are no longer at their old premises. Not sure what really happened there, anyone else know ?

I would say MRC at Banbury. www.mrctuning.com Fantastic expertese with the 2.7tt and you never seem to hear a bad report about them.

Not sure on the pricing, but I would expect them to be reasonably competitive and the map will be a custom one.

Regarding times, 0-60 5.0 and around 14.0 qtr is what you can expect.

I agree with David. Although I haven't visited MRC myself everyone who has been there is full of praise.

AmD went bust. Big Boys Toys and co bought the name. The premises and stock have been/are being sold by the liquidators to pay a dividend to the creditors - of which I am eagerly waiting for.

John

Has anybody actually TIMED a 300-ish bhp S4 to 60 with official timing gear?

I doubt it would be as low as 5 seconds dead TBH :(

Dan Gliballs said:
Has anybody actually TIMED a 300-ish bhp S4 to 60 with official timing gear?

I doubt it would be as low as 5 seconds dead TBH :(

Yes, plenty.

Standard car is 5.6 or 5.7 depending on where you look.

Remap adds 50 bhp ish from 265 and 60-80 ft lbs torque from 295 so its a big increase.

The car reaches 60 mph easily in second, which helps too.

i think people tend to get hung up on horsepower. in fact it's torque that wins races and 500Nm from a mildly tuned S4 is plenty to pin it around the 5.0sec 0-60 time.

in fact 500Nm is more torque than that produced by a standard RS4 and they do 0-60 in under 5.0 secs.

hey Dave, are you suffering withdrawel symptyms too. i haven't been able to log on to RS246 for a couple of days now.

Yes, although I have a little less to do :) Back tomorrow, don't worry mate.

DavidT said:
Yes, plenty.

Standard car is 5.6 or 5.7 depending on where you look.

Remap adds 50 bhp ish from 265 and 60-80 ft lbs torque from 295 so its a big increase.

The car reaches 60 mph easily in second, which helps too.

*Plenty? Got any links? :)

*Yeah, I know the THEORY (I have a mapped S4 MYSELF), but it still sounds optimistic to me,...............as does the STANDARD figure (and it would take an incredibly aggressive launch).

As an example, check out this clip of two tuned RS4's. They look to be using proper timing gear, and I appreciate that this is to 62mph and not 60,.........but you get my point ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGTaKhiQQJk

shineydave said:
i think people tend to get hung up on horsepower.

Some DO yeah,.............but I'm not one of them :o.k:

One of the main reasons for choosing this car was it's large dollops of torque.

I've used VAGCOM to time a 0-60 of around 5.3secs, with a fairly gentle launch. Now if I launched it like the Audi test pilot did to get a stock car to do 0-60 in 5.5 secs, I am fairly sure it would do it in 5 or pretty close to.

just been looking at the results from GTI international, i can pick out 3 S4's but i can only confirm the state of tune for one of them.

the results for 0-60 where 5.4, 5.6 and 5.8, there's probably a few more in there too.

the ones i saw go down were struggling off the line because of the difficulty in breaking traction on the grippy surface, i for one didn't think sidestepping the clutch was a particularly good idea. there's also a knack to finding the right shift point, once the peak torque drops off there's no point hanging on to the gear but then you have to shift at a point that'll drop you right back into an engine speed that will maximise the torque and boost. to be fair it's not the sort of thing people do everyday and takes a fair bit of practise (that's my excuse for not being able to post any 5.0 second times

to put the video you posted into perspective there were 2 RS4's that managed 3.7 and 3.9 0-60, i've no idea of the state of tune but i think it's fair to say that a well tuned RS4 will be looking at 480 to 500bhp so they stack up well against the video cars although they post substantially better figures.

i console myself with the thought that with the right driver and conditions the car SHOULD do the times, whether I'M capable of it is an entirely different matter

I agree with you Dave, a 450 bhp RS4 will do low 4's easily and and chipped S4 should be 5.0 ish.

Here is my qtr video from the meet we had last month at santa pod. I know, sad but I'm pleased with it. Stage 3 car around 420 bhp and 450 ft lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUkXrjoeDAM

One argument says sidestepping the clutch at high revs is better for the car as it breaks the traction and reduces the load on the clutch compared with slipping it until the engine is fully on boost. I dunno, both are bad for transmission health :)

I've found sidestepping at high revs gives much faster times for me anyways.

lol, but i'm down to my last 50 grand so preserving the drivetrain is more of a priority to me than creating four lines of rubber down the strip. did you see the state of Toms diff after he dumped the clutch at GTI International. i prefer to drive mine home after a bit of playing. :scared2:

looking at your ET that should have been a low 4 i would have thought, Lucas was doing mid 12's with a 0-60 of 3.7

shineydave said:
lol, but i'm down to my last 50 grand so preserving the drivetrain is more of a priority to me than creating four lines of rubber down the strip. did you see the state of Toms diff after he dumped the clutch at GTI International. i prefer to drive mine home after a bit of playing. :scared2:

Wimp :)

yeah, i'm a fairweather faggot. i've got a garden remodelling to finish and Mrs Shiney will have my bits for breakfast if i spend our savings on the car before the garden is finished.

have you done anything else to your car recently

I guess I've always just aired on the conservative side LOL!!! When people ask me down the kebab etc shop about the 0-60, I just say, "Well, the book figure for the Avant is about 5.8, so with the remap, I'd guess around 5.3-5.4?"

Timed with VAGcom???? :blink:

Either way, I NEEEEEEEED K04's :salute:

shineydave said:
yeah, i'm a fairweather faggot. i've got a garden remodelling to finish and Mrs Shiney will have my bits for breakfast if i spend our savings on the car before the garden is finished.

have you done anything else to your car recently

Sir, you are relaying a familiar tale :lol:

Dan Gliballs said:
I guess I've always just aired on the conservative side LOL!!! When people ask me down the kebab etc shop about the 0-60, I just say, "Well, the book figure for the Avant is about 5.8, so with the remap, I'd guess around 5.3-5.4?"

Timed with VAGcom???? :blink:

Either way, I NEEEEEEEED K04's :salute:

Vag-com - from v6 I think - has an accelerate function. You can do 0-whatever, qtr, 400m and any increment, such as 30-130 mph, 50-70 etc. etc. Very cool.

I love the stealth of the S4 and have tried to keep mine as standard looking as poss. It adds to the fun for me :lol:

shineydave said:
agreed, stealth does it for me too. that's got to be worth half a second in the traffic light grand prix

The fella next to me at Santa Pod had a 205 Gti. Lovely chap in his early 20's, a few mods and weight saving measures etc. He thought it would be a pretty fair run based on what he'd seen of my old 'A4'

I like that about the S4.

shineydave said:
OMG, it's the man himself

*I am of course using the term "man" in it's loosest fashion

Half man, half tyrannosaurus actually ShineyD!

Hello DaveT !

Oooh - this is all nice and new in here .... :eyebrows:

Anyway; back to the tuning query (wouldn't want to go off-topic in my first ever visit now would I?): MRC will do you nicely ...

I've lost count of the number of 'car' people who've asked if my Audi is a diesel LMAO!!!!!

I've said 'yes' on occasion.

Next time I go to Santa Pod, I think I'll put the roofbox back on.

Good old roofrails, they throw the boyracers off the scent :lmfao:

shineydave said:
try this chatroom thingy, it's very lonely in there on my own

Dave, I can't get onto that, it gives me a java error :(