B5 S4 gt28rs disco potato instead of K04

andybnwc

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has done the gt28rs conversion on there S4 before ,ive been in contact with apr for almost 2 years about there eliminator series for s4 and still hasnt been sorted are there any other options that have been proven etc

We run a GT2860RS on our Audi A4 B5.
The layout of the A4 lends itself to a really smooth running system.
The GT2860RS is a very sensible option for getting 325BHP plus, if it is coupled to a high flow exhaust manifold.
We do not get involved in trying to run this level of power through the standard manifolds as the boost pressures and EGT's need to be pushed too high to get the power. The standard exhaust manifold is tiny!
Regards
Mark
Backdraft Motorsport.​

ok so what could you do for me as i was gonna upgade the manifolds when doing the turbos ,was going to get them from vast performance as they looked pretty good , will the gt2860rs fit my car either side without too much trouble

Backdraft Motorsport said:
We run a GT2860RS on our Audi A4 B5.
The layout of the A4 lends itself to a really smooth running system.
The GT2860RS is a very sensible option for getting 325BHP plus, if it is coupled to a high flow exhaust manifold.
We do not get involved in trying to run this level of power through the standard manifolds as the boost pressures and EGT's need to be pushed too high to get the power. The standard exhaust manifold is tiny!
Regards
Mark
Backdraft Motorsport.​

Hi, would be interested to know what modifications you have made to your B5 and the power its running?

Regards

N

To fit the GT2860RS turbos to the S4 we would fabricate the complete system on the car. It would require hi flow manifolds, Intake and charge pipes. We do not have an off the shelf kit like our TT/S3 kit for this car so your system would be bespoke. The positive side of this is that you can have exactly the spec that you desire.

Our A4 B5 race car runs a 1.8T. The turbo kit develops a modest 325 BHP through a GT2860RS -5005 which is one of the smaller turbo's in the 2860 range. The kit uses an upside down high flow cast nickel manifold with a 3" straight through Stainless Steel exhaust system. The car is brand new and only been raced once. We will be out doing set up work on Saturday at Silverstone before it is then put up for sale.

Regards,
Mark
Backdraft Motorsport.

I'm purchasing a GT2860rs shortly to run on my 1.8t and havent yet sourced a manifold do you guys sell them??

Hi Chris,

Would recomend the Garrett GT2860RS 739548-5005 to achieve around 325 BHP. Price £599 plus VAT delivered next day.
Or
Garrett GT2860RS -5001 to achieve around 350BHP. Price £599 plus VAT delivered next day.
Cast manifold for A4 B5 £499 plus VAT delivered next day.
Our race car runs low comp forged pistons and forged rods. Which I would recomend on a 150BHP 1.8T.
Wossner 8.5:1 81mm forged pistons £499 plus VAT delivered.
Backdraft Motorsport Forged rods £499 plus VAT delivered.

Regards,
Mark
Backdraft Motorsport.

i'm going to be going gt3071 on my 1.8T b5 A4.

Backdraft - can you help in sourcing other parts needed and mapping for this? eg manifold, injectors, fuel pump if needed, FPR.

also would you run this on standard ecu or go over to aftermarket (i've done this many times on bmw's, but want this to be an everyday car), i am looking at maybe converting a mitsubishi aftermarket autronics ecu to fit the a4.

I would recomend the GT2871R over the 3071 on a 1.8T.
We can supply turbo, manifold, oil and water lines. All other pipework needs to be fabricated on the car for the A4.
Aftermarket ECU's give you greater flexibility over mapping.
We can also supply lightend flywheel and clutch kits, injectors and fuel pumps.
Regards
Mark
Backdraft Motoprsport.

Backdraft Motorsport said:
I would recomend the GT2871R over the 3071 on a 1.8T.

Why is that? lot of 1.8t's running this and the 3076 very successfully.
just asking, I am about to stick and 2871 on a 2l block so would be interested in hearing your opinion

It's just my opinion, didn't mean to offend anyone running a GT30. I think the performance is less laggy and it makes a nicer fit due to its external size.
Regards
Mark
Backdraft Motorsport.

ha, none taken.
Just been reading a similar post on vortex that says the opposite
I agree with you BTW, just looking for a different torque curve

do you have dynos or figures for these turbos that you have fitted to 1.8t's?

Wow, some top thread hi-jacking there folks!

Andy, you really need to get yourself on one of the american forums as they have been playing with Garrett setups on their S4's for a while. I'd probably search Audi-World and take it from there.

From what I gather, it would be custom manifolds all the way. Still don't think anyone's at the stage of providing off the shelf Garrett setups for the 2.7T yet.

Andy, speak to Dave at Ecode Tuning over in the US... he's running quite an animal at the moment! They should be able to give you some pointers!