B5 S4 & B6 S4 General Thoughts/Opinions

Simon Pearce

Reaction score
Morning all,

Not really much of a poster on here as i don't yet own an audi, however once i have sold my Z4 M Coupe i will indeed be looking to join the fold. My basic tick box is manual quattro avant and north of 200bhp preferred with around £5k max budget.

I have been browsing the web and looking at what is around and there seem to be some half decent B5 & B6 S4 avants for around the £5k mark. Now i know this was an expensive motor when new and i am aware that there will be on-going maintenance required to keep it in good health. So im wondering if for £5k you are likely to be walking into an absolute minefield of potential problems?

I am also looking for some general thought's opinions on which model would be best to look at and if there are any particular things to look out for when buying? I am aware of the timing chain rattle on the B6 version which can be costly and the turbo issues on the B5's. Any other common problems given that most around this price will be higher miles?

If the above really are going to be money pits outside of routine maintenance then i will likely go for non 'S' model.