B5 RS4 brake help!

doeboy

Reaction score
I've been offered a B5 RS4 brake setup for my S4. I can't find pricing for brake discs anywhere! At first i was looking for uprated drilled/grooved discs, but i can't find any prices for standard non OEM discs either!

Where do you buy yours from and how much?

Ta!

I have checked their website.

Basically even though i've been offered these RS4 brakes for £300 it offers only a little more stopping power according to Doug, or at least his face when asked. If the discs and pads are shot that could mean paying upto another £500?!?! it's not worth it! Unless i can find discs for sub £150 i won't bother with them. I'd rather pay for the 8pot RS6 setup at a later date. I seem to be getting no input from RS4 owners which is a shame too.

doeboy said:
I'd rather pay for the 8pot RS6 setup at a later date. I seem to be getting no input from RS4 owners which is a shame too.

Then they would be the same as the B7 RS4 set-up!

Whilst I have the carbon/ceramics on mine, and can't personally comment, other B7 RS4 owners have reported mixed opinions on the standard anchors - ranging from the "they stop the car!", to the "worn the discs and pads after 4k miles of track action". I did chat to another owner at Brunters the other week end, after noticing excessive scoring on his standard discs, and I think he said it had done about 36k miles, of mainly motorway use.

Perhaps a hop over to rs246.com should offer more detailed help.

Posted on 246 as well. I'm still unsure, i think despite heading down to see MRC on Saturday i'm going to have to leave the brakes until i do some more research. Most people seem to say the B5 rs4 are "okay" but they're fitted to a car with 380 as standard so they have to do their job. I'm hopefully uprating to 330hp on saturday so was concerned my S4 brakes might be on the weak side. My reasoning was why pay £300 for ok (B5 Rs4) brakes when you still have to pay £400 for discs. Everytime they'd worn out i'd be gritting my teeth thinking if i'd put that initial outlay i would be spending this £400 on B7 discs.

I have to say though, the more i think about it the more i really can't justifly £1500 or 25% of the value of the car on brakes! I may just go for the B5 setup and keep my eye out for part warn discs etc...

Guess I was a tad lucky buying an entire RS4 B5 front brake kit for 40 quid then lol

doeboy said:
Posted on 246 as well. I'm still unsure, i think despite heading down to see MRC on Saturday i'm going to have to leave the brakes until i do some more research. Most people seem to say the B5 rs4 are "okay" but they're fitted to a car with 380 as standard so they have to do their job. I'm hopefully uprating to 330hp on saturday so was concerned my S4 brakes might be on the weak side. My reasoning was why pay £300 for ok (B5 Rs4) brakes when you still have to pay £400 for discs. Everytime they'd worn out i'd be gritting my teeth thinking if i'd put that initial outlay i would be spending this £400 on B7 discs.

I have to say though, the more i think about it the more i really can't justifly £1500 or 25% of the value of the car on brakes! I may just go for the B5 setup and keep my eye out for part warn discs etc...

OK, I forgot to mention that the B7 RS4 anchors are designed for 420 horses, and a GrossVehicleMass of 2.3 tonnes. I doubt your B5 (if I presume correctly) has a GVM nearing 2.3 tonnes.