1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B5 key fob to b7?

Pro-cookie Aug 31, 2018

1. Pro-cookie

Pro-cookie Member Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group

Hello guys,

So the other day I decided to get myself a couple of new key fobs as mine are really tired in fact one of them had a snapped clip so was held together with some black insulation tape :whistle2:. I’ve bought a couple from eBay and changed them over and just swapped the blades over so no need for cutting, so much better and the blades don’t wobble either like they used to.
    When I ordered them I also ordered a b7 type fob with the intention of swapping one over to that however when getting it apart I noticed it’s completely different! Obviously I expected a difference as it’s an updated key but I don’t even think the buttons will line up with the micro switches.
    So is it even possible to do? I’ve seen somewhere that it’s been done with a b6 key to a b7 but my b5 key looks identical to the b6 so why do some people say you can’t do a b5 to b7?

Sorry it’s a long winded post lol.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

When changing from B6 to B7 you just keep the B7 guts and pair it to the car.

B6 and B7 use a different frequency to the B5, so that doesnt work on the B5.

4. Pro-cookie

Is it possible to get a new b7 key with the guts and have it paired using one of those vcds things? Or am I just not going to get that key lol.

5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

as i said above, the B7 key uses a different frequency to the B5, so the B7 key wont talk to the B5 alarm unit.

6. Pro-cookie

So essentially I would just have to modify the internal of the b7 fob to suit the b5 key board.