B5 engine woes

Jack_TQS

Reaction score
Hi guys just bought my 1.8t tqs on Wednesday night, driving home about 40 miles and the oil light came on as I was nearing home, I had the car recovered to my local vw garage they say it has low compression and turbo is knackered. I’ve been in contact with the seller who is adamant it was in good condition as it seemed on the test drive. Full service history 2 owners and a recent oil change.

My question is, what would you do? Put money into fixing the engine with a new turbo, I have found an apu engine I could buy and perhaps swap bits over, don’t want to do the whole swap if not necessary plus I would then be on the 150 hp map.

Apparently the engine is beyond repair, currently searching for another which I’ll be taking the sump off before I put it in!

I have a fully rebuilt forged ajl block and fully rebuilt head too. Pm me if you get stuck for an engine. It was intended for a big TQS build but i ended up back in an S4 for my daily.

AEB's are common and physically identical to the AJL. Other engines such as the APU have differences.

So long as you keep the TQS ECU you'll stay at 180hp

yep. You might need to fit the later sump if your car has level sensing and the donor doesnt, but you'll have that off the new engine to clean it all out anyway :)

Big thanks to Lowfield I have decided to purchase his engine, will be slow progress as I need to purchase the supporting mods, I shall start a build thread when I have some meaningful progress thanks guys

Reactions: mojocvh