B5 engine mount on b6 1.9 tdi

glenandem

Reaction score
Anyone replaced the drivers engine mount on they're b6 a4 with a b5 s4 mount, seen some febi ones on eBay for £30 as opposed to £90 for the correct part no one from tps, I only have the passenger side which has the sensor on and have read on other forums that some guys have replaced they're b6 mounts with b5 s4 mounts as they think they're slightly stiffer, I'm only looking to fit one of these as they're cheaper!

Fairly sure they're the same across the b6/b7/b8 range, either way best to go aftermarket with the amount of mount's not holding up... maybe it's wear and tear but there's been a fair few broken (mine included) but surely you'd expect them to last the life of the car.

All depends on what you classify as the life of a car. (I'm sure I read that audi say the life of a car is 10 years and 200K miles) on one of my B5's I replaced the mounts after 13 years & 270K, but I've seen them go on cars with less than 100K. I guess it's all down to the manufacture who made the mount and if they were cutting corners to keep the costs down, and the guy who made the mount, was it a Friday afternoon special.

Reactions: Northampton_ofn
yeah mine looks original but has the purple ooze at the bottom of it!
ive replaced the ns due to giving the fault code they give but the os doesnt have the sensor in and ive read that alot of people replace them with the 034 or b5 s4 mounts so im gonna fit the s4 mount as theyre quite cheap on ebay and theyre febi ones which are supposed to be ok.

I've replaced mine with B5 rubber of standard A4 saloon. They fit fine.

I've replaced mine with B5 rubber of standard A4 saloon. They fit fine.

yup your right, I recieved it in the post this morning and went straight out to fit it, very easy to do took about ten mins to do!
took me much longer replacing the anti roll bar links I had!
definately feels less movement in gearstick now and when I use to rev the engine you could feel it rock the car, now it's hardly noticeable!
just need to take it on mway now see if its done anything for my vibration issue?

Did you notice any unwanted rattle/excessive vibration at idle? I am in urgent need to new engine mounts and don't know what to decide on!
I have read all the threads and looked into all the options but what is best for a daily? I really don't want to pay £300 for a pair from Audi that will just leak and eventually fail again! Looked into 034 density line, B5 S4 Febi's and even filling mine with some polyurethane!

Any advice from anyone who's done any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

What are they like day to day do you feel like you sitting on top of the engine like everywhere i have spoken to suggests will be the case when putting aftermarket petrol mounts on a diesel?

My car is not running at standard output and i have removed the EGR and with it the anti-shudder i think, which wont help i know!

Got the solid rubber B5 ones on my TDI. They were cheap and are spot on. Firm vibration at idle over the broken standard ones, but I don't notice it anymore and may just be because the mounts aren't broke!

Fitted a pair of B5 mounts. eBay specials £30 for a pair (and a new front rubber mount from Eurocarparts for £6). The offside a little trickier to fit as the turbo is in the way; the near side is easier. Take care when jacking the engine not to catch the heater matrix pipes against the bulkhead (as I did) - best to remove the pipes to be on the safe side.

After fitting, the sides to side shimmy when stationary was completely eliminated. A little more vibration noticeable at idle in the cabin, but not excessive and for 10% of the Stealer's price, I'll live with that.