B5 1.8T Turbo upgrade

macca

Reaction score
I have searched the forums and not found much on turbo upgrades, i've seen the APR kits etc.

Basically has anyone done the K04 upgrade on a B5 1.8T, what parts are involved? what sort of power can this produce upto?

Looking at possibly going down a Garrett conversion, but seems very expensive and not sure whats really needed. larger flow injectors, uprated FPR, remap and new ehaust manifold seem the obvious parts.

Can anyone pass some useful info in my direction?

thanks

I have a K04 on mine but have not had it mapped yet. My car used to have a K03s on it and it pulls quite a bit better than before.

All you really need it a K04, BKR 6E spark plugs gapped at 0.028 and a remap.

Obviously a fmic or a after market exhaust would help also.

do you need any different gaskets etc, pipes, or are all the fittings the same, i will get a fmic, custom 3 inch exhaust and a remap in due course.

reason i ask is that i am just dropping replacement engine in and the k03 has been on the car 18 months exposed to the elements as the head and pipes have been taken off and left under the bonnet in storage due to snapped cambelt, so i feel happier replacing the turbo while doing it.

would like to know what bhp limit is on a k04, i think i read 250bhp is about tops?

just out of interest, what coilovers are you using?

right, i now realise there are many k04 turbos

k04-001 and k04-0023 i understand might just be for the transverse engines

k04-15 is the one for longitudal mount engines

is this right? i've heard the k04-23 has a better flow rate, can these be altered to work on tranverse, might just be a change of actuator?

can anyone help?

I know a guy who has done both KO4 and Garrett to his B5, he was gutted with the cost and relatively poor increase in bhp/£.
He has a GT28 on it now, straight fit with numerous manifolds/parts available from US.
I considered it but when you need to source a relatively uncommon K04-15 and a manifold, injectors, new cat, exhaust etc, before you look at FMIC and the enevitable remap etc etc.
a KOx elimator or GT28 Garrett kit starts to make a lot of sense.

What are you looking to get out of it circa 250? 300? 350?
How much are you willing to spend, wait and source yourself?

am thinking of maybe a garrett t3 or gt28rs, would rather source the parts myself, which will include getting a manifold from USA, injectors and exhaust aren't a problem.

being front wheel drive, 250bhp maybe enough, but nearer 300bhp would be nice if the chassis can take it.

was just looking at k04 as this bolts straight on, i'm building car up with replacement engine at the moment and the turbo on it is a bit suspect, not ready to go down a full garrett conversion just yet, maybe next year.