B5 1.8T audi 80 swap?

Jonty8l

Reaction score
Hi all, Was trying to find the correct area to post this but this seemed the most appropriate.

I have a classic shower thought project idea that's clearly been done quite a number of times but was hoping to find someone who has info or has already tried it. I'm a big fan of the Audi 80 B4 shape, however without dropping £20K+ on an RS2 or a bit less on an S2, it'll always be a bit sluggish. My idea being to swap the 1.8T engine from a B5 into the car. From what I've seen online this isn't a particularly hard task as the gearbox etc should fit with no real issues. As much as I love to think I'm a mechanic, I'm definetly far from it so I'd probably have to go to a garage for the majority of it.

So my main concerns being:
Is it do able ?
How much will it cost ?

Hopefully someone has a better idea than me.

Thanks all.

Lot's is the answer. It's won't be plug & play so there will be wiring harness changes that need to be worked out, and also parts fabricated which again will will take up time. The problem is time = money even cheap labour rates these days are about £30 an hour. So with parts & labour you're looking at a big bill. You need to be able to complete as much of the work yourself if your going to make it work from a financial point of view.