1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

B5 1.8T audi 80 swap?

Jonty8l Jul 24, 2020

1. Jonty8l

Jonty8l New Member

Hi all, Was trying to find the correct area to post this but this seemed the most appropriate.

I have a classic shower thought project idea that's clearly been done quite a number of times but was hoping to find someone who has info or has already tried it. I'm a big fan of the Audi 80 B4 shape, however without dropping £20K+ on an RS2 or a bit less on an S2, it'll always be a bit sluggish. My idea being to swap the 1.8T engine from a B5 into the car. From what I've seen online this isn't a particularly hard task as the gearbox etc should fit with no real issues. As much as I love to think I'm a mechanic, I'm definetly far from it so I'd probably have to go to a garage for the majority of it.

So my main concerns being:
    Is it do able ?
    How much will it cost ?

Hopefully someone has a better idea than me.

Thanks all.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Lot's is the answer. It's won't be plug & play so there will be wiring harness changes that need to be worked out, and also parts fabricated which again will will take up time. The problem is time = money even cheap labour rates these days are about £30 an hour. So with parts & labour you're looking at a big bill. You need to be able to complete as much of the work yourself if your going to make it work from a financial point of view.

Tags: