B5 1.8 into S4??

Old A4 Driver

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a 1995 1.8 Auto A4, just fitted my new lights and grill and was wondering how easy a set of OEM S4 bumpers and skirts would fit on? And what leather interiors would fit into my car with the minimum of modification??

I was also thinking of an engine conversion, although with an auto box I think this may be a problem? Am I pushing my money in the wrong direction?

You guys have some wonderful cars, with some crazy mods and would love your advice.

Cheers in advance.

Welcome aboard buddy!

S4 bumpers, skirts and interior will fit your car easily.

As for engines, lot's of possibilities, don't feel you're limited by an autobox either.

Or, you could go manual.

Money down the drain, sell it and buy the car you wanted in the first place, a lot cheaper and you'll retain the residuals.

I thought for a minute when I read the thread title you wanted to put a 1.8 into an S4!!

Durr! :wacko:

Stapo, I thought the same.

I thought he'd bought a stolen recovered S4, minus engine and box.

Till I read the rest.

Mad. 1.8's into S4's. lol

What would be the best option engine wise do you think? I'd like to think I could just remove mine and drop a bigger one in without any modification but I doubt that's possible.

I was thinking of the 1.8T unit?

For a car as early as yours, and with virtually no modifications, I wouldn't think it'd be cost effective to install a 1.8T motor, or any other engine that was available in a B5 from the factory.

Unless the engine was dirt cheap, or even better, free.

I'd only install a completely different engine, Audi V8, VW VR6, VW V5. For any other option, I wouldn't bother.

W12 anyone?!!!! One day I'm sure, go on siena!

The VR6 sounds interesting. Would I just need the engine or all the VW bits that go along with it? Anything I should watch out for in particular with these engines?

I'd love a W12. If anybody could do it, I'd bet Siena could. Your car is amazing, bud. And orange is my favourite colour!

also worth noting with all these mods insurance might be cheaper to get the real thing i think it would be cheaper.

The VR6 sounds interesting. Would I just need the engine or all the VW bits that go along with it? Anything I should watch out for in particular with these engines?

I'd love a W12. If anybody could do it, I'd bet Siena could. Your car is amazing, bud. And orange is my favourite colour!

Thanks for your compliments.

For a VR6, you'll need the complete 2.8 / 2.9 engine (AAA / ABV) with loom and ECU.

You'll need a different sump, probably one from a 3.2L 24V Touareg or Porsche Cayenne with the same engine.

Custom mounts, custom flywheel, starter motor / mounting bracket.

Wiring will need to be reconfigured to mate to an early B5.

Oddly enough, though it's quite a compact motor, it's probably easier to install the V8, as it was mounted longitudonally.

The V5 as fitted to the Passat B5 is also another attractive option.

also worth noting with all these mods insurance might be cheaper to get the real thing i think it would be cheaper.

Probably. But worth the extra premium, if the engine being installed is a unique concept.

In such cases, there's no "real thing" as such.

Would the V5 engine be an easier fitment than the others? Not too fussed about the insurance, it's overpriced on whatever car you've got.

I'd be interested in pursuing this, any rough idea as to the cost? Also know of any links to anybody that has already done this?

Also Siena, I see from your thread you've bought loads of parts direct from Audi. Would this be my best option for s4 bumpers and skirts? I keep scouring ebay but don't seem to be having much luck at the moment. I'd prefer them to already be the same colour as mine but would be willing to paint if I have to.

V5 engine would definitely be easier than the VR6.

Costs? My price would be about £5,000 inclusive of engine, parts and labour. I don't know anyone who's fitted the V5 into the A4 B5.

V8, don't know of any UK running cars either. I have installed a 4,2L V8 32V, into a type 85 Audi 90 quattro. It belongs to Paul Quince, who runs www.dubmeister.co.uk so, feel free to give him a call, and ask him about me.

That conversion was done by myself in 2001.

I bought all my parts direct from Audi, bar the 2000-spec bootlid and front doors. They ARE available used, but I was too impatient to wait, and the rear quarters are the hardest to get used.

I could price up the S4 bumpers and skirts new, and let you know? What colour is your car at present?

Cheers Siena. Price doesn't sound as bad as I thought. I take it engines are your line of work! What sort of bhp would you get from an untuned V5? About 170bhp?

I think my car is Ming Blue. lol It's a dark blue colour. Would love a price on the skirts and bumpers, that would be fantastic.

Yes, engines / electrics are my forte.

From an untuned 2,3L V5, you'll get 150 / 150PS (10 / 20).

Modifications that are designed for the VR6 12 / 24V can also be applied to the V5 motor.

I know Ming Blue, was also used on the last of the Audi S2 models.

Yeah a modified car does cost a lot more than the original. My 1.8 se to 1.8t conversion costs me nearly £900 per yr full comp with full no claims etc. Could probably insure an R8 for that,lol

The VR6 has been done in the states, lots of work i will try and find the write up

Cheers Byzan, would be interesting to see that.

I take it I'd still be using my auto box with the conversion?
Failing an engine transplant, I'll be saving for an S4!!!

Cheers Byzan, would be interesting to see that.

I take it I'd still be using my auto box with the conversion?
Failing an engine transplant, I'll be saving for an S4!!!

Yes, you'll be using your manual box.

Though, not hard to convert to manual, if the engine's coming out.

Yeah, if I was to do it it'd be just as much work to change to manual at the same time.

Do those S4 parts come prepainted or will I be looking to get them painted myself?

Siena what you doing with your old engine?

Siena what you doing with your old engine?

My old engine? Nothing really, will just sell it complete.

Did you contact me, about using it as a replacement for a 2.6L V6 in an A6 C4?

Yeah, if I was to do it it'd be just as much work to change to manual at the same time.

Do those S4 parts come prepainted or will I be looking to get them painted myself?

They come from Audi in grey primer, and will need painting.

No i didnt i just thought your engine might come in handy for another AS.NET member *COUGH*old_a4_driver*COUGH*

Money down the drain, sell it and buy the car you wanted in the first place, a lot cheaper and you'll retain the residuals.

I'm with AndyMac on this one, for the money you will end up spending putting a v5 in ??? a leather interior and s4 bumpers\sideskirts with painting you could buy a much better car in the first place.

Save up and buy an 1.8t quattro or an s4 would be my advice, much more future potential with those.

I agree, not worth fitting a production motor.

But, an engine NOT available in a B5 from Audi, that's completely different.

My RS4 parts on my car cost more than me buying an S4 - just under £7,000.

Now, why didn't I buy an S4 to begin with? Exclusivity. I know mine will be the only RS4 sedan with an S8 motor. I sold my modified S4 motor, complete with loom and ECU, to buy the S8 motor, as I couldn't truly justify fitting an engine that was available in a B5 from the factory.

But still, different folk, different strokes.

I agree, not worth fitting a production motor.

But, an engine NOT available in a B5 from Audi, that's completely different.

My RS4 parts on my car cost more than me buying an S4 - just under £7,000.

Now, why didn't I buy an S4 to begin with? Exclusivity. I know mine will be the only RS4 sedan with an S8 motor. I sold my modified S4 motor, complete with loom and ECU, to buy the S8 motor, as I couldn't truly justify fitting an engine that was available in a B5 from the factory.

But still, different folk, different strokes.

Siena, I can see the point in what your trying to achieve and its a great project btw. I am guessing once you have added turbo's to that v8 you will be getting more power than the s4 v6 would have achieved as well ?

You are also able to do the engine mods yourself, and I am sure that a lot of the pleasure of doing a project like yours will be the satisfaction that you have achieved something unique and you were able to do it.

However, paying someone else to do an engine conversion, especially something as low powered and untuneable as a v5 when you could for the same money buy a better car with much greater potential to start with seems a bit pointless to me.