B#**%*y Microsoft

joinerman

Reaction score
Fired up my laptops tonight only for it to decide it’s going to update, couldn’t stop it, after an eternity it starts up again and F**k all, get the home screen and that’s it, no icons, nothing, only way to shut it down was to remove battery, two attempts and same scenario, all my accounts on it and I need to send out some invoices by email, Grrrrrr
Currently on an old iPad

Sounds like windows 10 2004 update that's been troublesome for many, rollback time.

you need to restart in safe mode then choose recovery .

F8 used be a reliable method on boot up in window safe mode.

Reactions: V6_Man
if you can get to a logon screen then.
2. Logon screen
  1. At the logon screen, hold the Shift key down and click on the onscreen power button > Restart.
  2. Upon the device restarting, you will be prompted to choose an option. Click on Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  3. The device will restart a second time, this time displaying a list of options. Select option 4 or 5 to boot to Safe Mode or Safe Mode With Networking, respectively.

Reactions: V6_Man and NHN
As Rob says F8 should give you safe mode options which bypasses drivers & hopefully gets you to restore & advanced options.

Then go into control panel & backup, restore, select a restore point, my strong advice is, if you have a usb drive, plug in & if safe mode does by chance allow device manager to install it, copy important data manually to the drive then do a restore, incase any further corruption occurs, it's a process I follow for all IT clients that don't have backup solutions in place via cloud etc.

Reactions: V6_Man
Thanks for all your replies, I got fed up last night and went to bed about 10.30 so missed the replies after that, I took the offending item with me this morning and dropped it into a mate who runs a computer repair shop, he rung tonight to say its fixed, I will collect in the morning.

Reactions: jdp1962 and Alistair D
Thanks for all your replies, I got fed up last night and went to bed about 10.30 so missed the replies after that, I took the offending item with me this morning and dropped it into a mate who runs a computer repair shop, he rung tonight to say its fixed, I will collect in the morning.
That's my kind of solution, @joinerman. :)

Well I got it back but it’s old and when it’s on it works hard, the fans working overtime and it runs real hot so I’ve bitten the bullet and bought a new one,
One question can I stick a memory stick in the old one and transfer all my saved passwords in google chrome to the new laptop?

If you use Google Chrome and are logged in using an account should just be able to log into Chrome on a new PC and it will have remembered them :icon thumright:

Failing that https://passwords.google.com/ should show all the saved passwords.