B Pillar Cover Help....

After a lot of pulling it finally came off! Got them sanded down and the vinyl on. On one of them the two clips bent out of shape so shape so it didn't go back in flush with the back window but a quick tinkering sorted that out. Really happy with how they turned out, I'll get a post up soon about it! Cheers for your help bud
No problem mate, glad you sorted it. Look forward to seeing the pics.

Hi guys,
Realise this tread is a little old now but I replaced my drivers side external B pillar trim the other day & after doing it I thought I'd take a couple of pics for people that may be needing to replace theirs.
Audi A3 B Pillar 1
Audi A3 B Pillar 2

This was the old peeling one that seems to be a common problem. The location of the 3 rivets is pretty obvious, just behind the door seal.
Audi A3 B Pillar 3
Audi A3 B Pillar 4

When drilling them out I used a paint scraper wedged behind the trim to move the rubber door seal out of the way and just drilled until the head of the rivet came away. Did this for all 3 rivets. Once the rivet heads had been drilled off, I used a centre punch to tap the remaining rivet piece into the B pillar, leaving the trim free to be removed.
Audi A3 B Pillar 5
Audi A3 B Pillar 6

By pulling from the bottom of the trim first I was able to release the clip near the window attaching the trim. The top was a little harder but once I had space for my fingers it was just a matter of a little persuasion and the top clip came away from the window and the trim could be removed.
Audi A3 B Pillar 8
Audi A3 B Pillar 9

This shows the clips that are attached to the window via a protective rubber seal. Before replacing the new trim on, there is a small foam pad that fixes at the bottom of the trim, I guess just to keep it away from the paint work when the door is closed. I did my best to remove the old one then glued it to my new trim.
Audi A3 B Pillar 10

I ordered the 3.2x10mm Black rivets required from eBay, very cheap.
Audi A3 B Pillar 11
Audi A3 B Pillar 12

Once I had fitted the new trim by lining up the window clips and hand tapping into position, I found it easier to insert the rivets first then attach the rivet gun because of the rubber door seal. 3 Pops of the gun and it was job done...!

Hope this helps out anyone looking to change their B pillar trims.

Reactions: Jason Riley, derekw, HHS3 and 3 others
Hi guys,
Realise this tread is a little old now but I replaced my drivers side external B pillar trim the other day & after doing it I thought I'd take a couple of pics for people that may be needing to replace theirs.
View attachment 53529 View attachment 53530
This was the old peeling one that seems to be a common problem. The location of the 3 rivets is pretty obvious, just behind the door seal.
View attachment 53532 View attachment 53536
When drilling them out I used a paint scraper wedged behind the trim to move the rubber door seal out of the way and just drilled until the head of the rivet came away. Did this for all 3 rivets. Once the rivet heads had been drilled off, I used a centre punch to tap the remaining rivet piece into the B pillar, leaving the trim free to be removed.
View attachment 53562 View attachment 53563
By pulling from the bottom of the trim first I was able to release the clip near the window attaching the trim. The top was a little harder but once I had space for my fingers it was just a matter of a little persuasion and the top clip came away from the window and the trim could be removed.
View attachment 53564 View attachment 53565
This shows the clips that are attached to the window via a protective rubber seal. Before replacing the new trim on, there is a small foam pad that fixes at the bottom of the trim, I guess just to keep it away from the paint work when the door is closed. I did my best to remove the old one then glued it to my new trim.
View attachment 53566
I ordered the 3.2x10mm Black rivets required from eBay, very cheap.
View attachment 53567 View attachment 53568
Once I had fitted the new trim by lining up the window clips and hand tapping into position, I found it easier to insert the rivets first then attach the rivet gun because of the rubber door seal. 3 Pops of the gun and it was job done...!

Hope this helps out anyone looking to change their B pillar trims.

Thanks for the help fitted my shiny black pillars the other day and very happy with the results!

Hi mate,

When you pushed the rivets into the b pillar is there any way to retrieve them? I hate the idea of bits of metal rattling about the car, even though I probably wouldn't hear them, the thought tears me apart.

Also did you get the replacement trim from the dealer? If so what kind of price can I expect to pay?

Need to pop this up. Was planing to change the trim, but from Sir_Bacharach reply, I have question - is there any holes in main frame where the pillar is on top? If there is, then you can take pushed-in rivets with telescopic magnet.

I have only this image but it's from 8L 5 door
a3-1658.png

On the 8P SportBack this is just 2 Torx bolts at the bottom