B&O rear sub wet fart noise

Cent

Reaction score
Bit of a strange one, but it does sound a bit odd. Can't hear it inside the cabin, only noticed recently while car was running and went into the boot to grab something, music was cranked up at all and could still hear what sounds like a wet fart. Not sure if it might be partly blown (that would be the kids cranking up the volume)
Anyone else having weird issues with a B&O system?

Distortion, hold the sub whilst its doing, see if it stops.

Can't do that atm, it's all within the side walls. Being a company car I don't want to start pulling it apart. Putting any pressure on the side wall does nothing

Then only 1 option, back to audi, its either vibration or distortion, trim has to come of to check anyway.

How loud is loud though? My sub setting is on + 4 and I think it's more than bassy enough, and have yet to put volume more than 2/3s.

2/3 is pretty much where I limit max volume.
The noise is noticeable even very low.
Once work isn't manic I'll take it in, I'd be surprised if its my doing, I've never blown even a standard sound system, a premium one should take a beating

The rear sub for the B&O in my 35 tfsi s-line sportback a3 does the same. Vibration or distortion shouldn't happen for this 'premium' sound system imho. If it's either as a result of bad design then a fix needs sorting, again imho. The B&O in my wife's Q3 sounds much better.

Hi @Cent & @Bunks21 !

Just noticed today same issue as Cent described in my A3 45 TFSIe with B&O system. Do you have any updates on this? I’m a bit upset since I picked up the car just 4 days ago. I’ll call my car dealer tomorrow and see what they say.

I mentioned it when in for 1st service and mmi update.
Of course, nothing found and deemed good health.
couldnt be bothered more like

I've been really disappointed with the B and O system. Was in the boot the other day and the sub woofer, whilst working, was extremely poor and very quiet also making this same noise.
Care going to dealers 3rd Aug. Not holding my breath for a result.

Hi @Cent & @Bunks21 !

Just noticed today same issue as Cent described in my A3 45 TFSIe with B&O system. Do you have any updates on this? I’m a bit upset since I picked up the car just 4 days ago. I’ll call my car dealer tomorrow and see what they say.
Sorry, just read your post. I was going to leave it until the car's first service in December. If you, or anyone, gets any 'joy' from Audi let us all know. Thought about taking it to an Audio (not Audi) technician.

Bit of a strange one, but it does sound a bit odd. Can't hear it inside the cabin, only noticed recently while car was running and went into the boot to grab something, music was cranked up at all and could still hear what sounds like a wet fart. Not sure if it might be partly blown (that would be the kids cranking up the volume)
in my a3 with b&o system at this point o dont have sub problem. but i dont hear rear speakers. they play but very low./ its like they tuned douwn. i dont wnow is that haw they make it work or mine hase problem. and is there way to sww if i have problem. o dont like the sound at all.

in my a3 with b&o system at this point o dont have sub problem. but i dont hear rear speakers. they play but very low./ its like they tuned douwn. i dont wnow is that haw they make it work or mine hase problem. and is there way to sww if i have problem. o dont like the sound at all.

Car is going in to investigate in January after a Mastertech at Audi heard the 'fluttering' base sound from the sub-woofer when it was in for it's first service. They'll probably tear the back of the car to bits to get at it (space saving gone ott) only to tell me the sub is ok! I'm already preparing for a discussion with Audi, and probably with the motoring Ombudsman .....

In Feb I will take mine in for this wobbly sub sound issue plus also to fix the SOS ping together. It's only apparent on certain bass frequencies. On Hotel room track by Pitbull, I can even hear this fart noise in the cabin!

Has anyone gotten a fix for the sub fart? Noticed today mine does it too which might explain the lack of base at least at lowish volumes. Sound is dire compared to my 9.5 A4 avant also with C&S

Got the same issue, my car is going in on the 25th of Jan. Audi technician listened to my sub and also said this is not normal.

So, my car went into my local Audi centre earlier this week. The investigation has revealed the distortion to the sound around the sub-woofer is caused by a ventilation panel near the sub. The air being moved by the sub affects the flaps of the vent panel causing them to vibrate, which creates the sound distortion. I'm sure a sound technician will be able to explain the laws of physics involved much better than I can. Technical support at Audi, following a referral by my local Audi centre, wheeled out the 'normal characteristic' card. I've started a complaint with Audi because I believe the distortion is clearly the result of poor design and fully reject any suggestion that the sound distortion is a 'normal characteristic'. Get your cars to your local Audi centres and let's put pressure on Audi to engineer a fix to show they care about their customers.

Hi Cent. Wasn't sure how to tag everyone into my reply near the end of this thread. Cheers.

Has anyone gotten a fix for the sub fart? Noticed today mine does it too which might explain the lack of base at least at lowish volumes. Sound is dire compared to my 9.5 A4 avant also with C&S
Hi Adgm71. See above. Cheers.

In Feb I will take mine in for this wobbly sub sound issue plus also to fix the SOS ping together. It's only apparent on certain bass frequencies. On Hotel room track by Pitbull, I can even hear this fart noise in the cabin!
Hi KXL. See above. Cheers.

I've been really disappointed with the B and O system. Was in the boot the other day and the sub woofer, whilst working, was extremely poor and very quiet also making this same noise.
Care going to dealers 3rd Aug. Not holding my breath for a result.
Hi Rads. See above. Cheers.

Hi @Cent & @Bunks21 !

Hi withMarc. See above. Cheers.

Unsurprisingly my local Audi Centre, despite appearing to be on my side in conversation, pulled down the shutters and raised the draw-bridge in their email communication. Now just waiting to see what Audi UK's response is.

Audi's response - there's no fault with the car! Our experiences and the video file Audi now have on record suggests there is clearly a design fault. Audi offered a free service as a gesture of 'goodwill' (aka to avoid accepting responsibility or liability) but failed to recognise my car was on a service plan!! Imagination is the best way to measure my response to that offer. Complaint now with Motor Ombudsman. Good luck!

So, my car went into my local Audi centre earlier this week. The investigation has revealed the distortion to the sound around the sub-woofer is caused by a ventilation panel near the sub. The air being moved by the sub affects the flaps of the vent panel causing them to vibrate, which creates the sound distortion. I'm sure a sound technician will be able to explain the laws of physics involved much better than I can. Technical support at Audi, following a referral by my local Audi centre, wheeled out the 'normal characteristic' card. I've started a complaint with Audi because I believe the distortion is clearly the result of poor design and fully reject any suggestion that the sound distortion is a 'normal characteristic'. Get your cars to your local Audi centres and let's put pressure on Audi to engineer a fix to show they care about their customers.
Mine was dropped off today to do the SOS fix and this wobbly / punching a box subwoofer sound issue. Yup exactly what the person said regarding the 'sound distortion.' The issue was (sods law of course!) that I could not replicate this sound in the past 3 days! Temperature is also warmer now hmm... Anyway the guy took the list of the 3 songs that usually made this noise and see what can be done, which probably nothing, as I and I'm sure he can't replicate this sound anymore. He was also impressed with my song collection! On the plus side I got a A1 S-line as a courtesy car. Stock, 4? speaker sound, isn't very good, coming from A3 B&O despite what ppl think about B&O being 'poor.' The A1 is a 35TFSI, while my usual A3 is a 30TFSI, however the 1.0 seems more responsive off the line than the 1.5!. Of course, overtaking, can def feel the difference on the 1.5 and tyres keep needing to scrabble for grip!

Audi's response - there's no fault with the car! Our experiences and the video file Audi now have on record suggests there is clearly a design fault. Audi offered a free service as a gesture of 'goodwill' (aka to avoid accepting responsibility or liability) but failed to recognise my car was on a service plan!! Imagination is the best way to measure my response to that offer. Complaint now with Motor Ombudsman. Good luck!
Wonder if I can twist their arm for a free service :) My upcoming one is £400+. Though I can't replicate this issue! DOh!

My car has been in 3 times for rattling, sub efficacy, distortion and after 3 times the service team has gotten fed up and now have pretty much told me they won’t be looking at the issue anymore.

“Just turn the music down”, “I think you need to lower your expectations”, “You want more than what this system is capable of”, “I can’t hear any of the symptoms you describe”.

Sort of given up on it to be honest, every time I get in the car it’s all I hear is the rattling, distortion et cetera, every passenger I’ve had has expressed it to me which is such a shame that they would just tell me that I’ve reached the limitations of this system.

I hardly think it’s too much to expect a good sounding, rattle free sound with rich bass from a “premium” optional extra?

I'm not sure what they did (if anything) but even if I push the bass beyond what would require it to make this 'noise' of air pushing against the ventilation shaft, it doesn't do it anymore. In the video walk around they sent me, they did lift the car on the ramp and acutally filmed where this ventliation hole was (FYI it's directly below the sub, and exits downwards towards the approximate area on where the exhaust box is). Maybe they tightened it, or put some sealant there, who knows? However after reviewing my dash cam footage (which does record audio), they did actually play the 3 songs (whilst doing the SOS update) that I told them to when they called me to describe the issue and which songs it happens on. Also filmed a hapless technician who was topping up the washer fluid not pay attention and it overflowed like a choc fountain! (professional right?) Despite all this, my ears still hear that the B&O is an 'upgraded' sound system. As mentioned, been in the A5 (8 speaker) and A1 (4 maybe 6? speaker) courtesy car with stock system, they were so obviously poorer in sound quality (I used the same music and bass treble settings for like for like comparison). Although one day (but guess not in UK as they don't do this here), would like to listen to the A3's Audi Sound System with 10 speakers (sub and centre channel inc) for comparison.

Reactions: AdamInKent
How i fixed mine.