B.C.S downpipe + apr remap

Hopefully spark a bit of debate here .. I do admire guys that take 'new' cars and try out mods first, like downpipes etc. I remember back in the day when Scoobys were reasonably new and people were messing around with ECU's/bleed valves/downpipes, testing out how much BHP/torque the pistons/blocks/gearbox would handle ..

So fair play to both @Leo-83 and @Dandanfings for trying out tuning boxes and downpipes, saying cheerio to warranties and pushing the boundaries on a new car.

I do wonder though, and I am not 100% sure how to word this, what is it you're trying to get to. Is it just the satisfaction you get from modding, or is it purely chasing the numbers? It is 1/4 mile times?

I've just ordered a new S4 saloon. It is pretty much the same in terms of 0-60-100 as my current S3. I could have spent the cash tuning my S3, ended up with a weapon running sub-9 second 0-100. It was actually one of your videos @Dandanfings that made me go the other route and change my car instead. It looks stunningly quick, but, for me, and I stress for me, I wouldn't be able to use that performance on a day to day basis, and I'm not that comfortable hitting 3 figures on a B-road hoon. Too many idiots who can't drive about up here in Scotland. Secondly, a lot of enjoyment of owning/driving a car for me comes from the noise, and no matter what you do to a 4-pot, it's never going to sound great or compare to a V6 or a V8. And I guess, thirdly, the increase in HP/torque would not fix the floaty feeling I get from my S3 on our rough B-roads.

I guess what I'm asking is, for me, making my car quicker wouldn't not have increased my enjoyment of the car. So what is it that you're wanting to achieve ...?

And if the answer is more speed = better, more power = better, it just does! That's fine lol ..

As I've tried to stress, fair play to you guys for modding the S3, and if just going quicker is your thing then great, we all want different things from the cars we own ..

Reactions: S3Alex
For me personally I found my stock Mk7 bit boring. I wanted a faster/more responsive car. Hence I have gone stage 1, pedal box and intake. I am getting DSG tune as I get really frustrated by the stock modes and I am looking at stage 2 DP for the increase in low end Torque/response.

I'm not chasing specific times, power, race etc. I just want my car set up in way I believe I will get most enjoyment driving it everyday. I do also like the modding process/research etc.

That's my thoughts, like you said everyone is different and it's very subjective to how each drive and set up their car.

@Dan 1945
Did you get any CEL or other warning signals with the BCS? I love the note and response advantage you've demonstrated :thumbsup:

Hopefully spark a bit of debate here .. I do admire guys that take 'new' cars and try out mods first, like downpipes etc. I remember back in the day when Scoobys were reasonably new and people were messing around with ECU's/bleed valves/downpipes, testing out how much BHP/torque the pistons/blocks/gearbox would handle ..

So fair play to both @Leo-83 and @Dandanfings for trying out tuning boxes and downpipes, saying cheerio to warranties and pushing the boundaries on a new car.

I do wonder though, and I am not 100% sure how to word this, what is it you're trying to get to. Is it just the satisfaction you get from modding, or is it purely chasing the numbers? It is 1/4 mile times?

I've just ordered a new S4 saloon. It is pretty much the same in terms of 0-60-100 as my current S3. I could have spent the cash tuning my S3, ended up with a weapon running sub-9 second 0-100. It was actually one of your videos @Dandanfings that made me go the other route and change my car instead. It looks stunningly quick, but, for me, and I stress for me, I wouldn't be able to use that performance on a day to day basis, and I'm not that comfortable hitting 3 figures on a B-road hoon. Too many idiots who can't drive about up here in Scotland. Secondly, a lot of enjoyment of owning/driving a car for me comes from the noise, and no matter what you do to a 4-pot, it's never going to sound great or compare to a V6 or a V8. And I guess, thirdly, the increase in HP/torque would not fix the floaty feeling I get from my S3 on our rough B-roads.

I guess what I'm asking is, for me, making my car quicker wouldn't not have increased my enjoyment of the car. So what is it that you're wanting to achieve ...?

And if the answer is more speed = better, more power = better, it just does! That's fine lol ..

As I've tried to stress, fair play to you guys for modding the S3, and if just going quicker is your thing then great, we all want different things from the cars we own ..

Well my reasons........It was cheap to buy, Cheap to tune. I like lots of torque as it makes it easier to overtake and its hilarious blasting past the rich bankers in their R8's and Lambos.
Also my job requires a 'Q' car, the golf R is a little bit too 'loud' compared to the S3 so it was a simple decision for me.

Reactions: S3Alex
Not modded my s3 and i've got no plans to at the moment. My last car was pretty heavily modified (u would never know by looking at it), apart from the software remapping I did every thing my self- I literally spent hours/days/weeks in my garage with the car/engine in pieces! That was my hobby. I ended up doing enough to add 200bhp in the end, and drastically improved handling. I was never too fussed about the numbers at all - for me it was the satisfaction I got from putting so much hard work in with my own hands and feeling that I was making a real machine by my self. I suspect it's the same for most modders although there are some that purely chase numbers regardless of real performance, and they more often than not have not done any of the work themselves which is where I got my satisfaction.

Reactions: mister.c.
I enjoy the vids too, it wasn't a dig at what these guys are doing, just interested in what's driving (sic) these guys to chase BHP/Torque, faster 0-60 times ...

Maybe I'm getting old, and am now starting to question what's the point of having a car that'll do a tuned car that will do a sub 9 sec 0-100. Maybe getting to the stage I'd rather have a fast car, but will derive more pleasure of how it sounds, and goes around corners.

Will I map my S4, more than likely, but I'll probably derive more smiles with the sound of the v6 and the sports differential, than the fact I've made it quicker in a straight line.

I cant find a BCS system listed anywhere or ill get one on and try it this weekend. Where did you get yours Dandanfings?

Maybe its the same for S3 than Golf R Mk7
yes sorry my bad i totally forgot!
I was the guinea pig and indeed the Golf downpipe fits 100% (its what i have)

Stage 2 incoming chaps, will be the middle of June though as i am too busy :-(

yes sorry my bad i totally forgot!
I was the guinea pig and indeed the Golf downpipe fits 100% (its what i have)

Stage 2 incoming chaps, will be the middle of June though as i am too busy :-(
Looking forward to watching the vid

I say keep modding people.

Reactions: Steph67 and RYuill
Thanks! I'll get a Golf R7 one then.

Reactions: Fiddie
making one right now, will be online tonight.
I am sweating from the wheel change, takes alot more energy than you realise!

Thanks for the kind words guys, im glad you enjoy the videos :)

Reactions: Ben Daniel Grant and Fiddie
Dan, form your review I was keen on getting BCS DP but ended up almost costing $1900 AUD delivered to Australia, add fitting and I was informed $395 for stage 2 tune if not APR DP I just couldn't justify it.

Had a chat with couple of local tuners here who both stated at this stage not worth going Stage 2 over stage 1 with intake. If APR do an increased torque Stage 2 tune once DSG flash out and APR DP not too overpriced I will think about it when a sale on. Looking at Dyno of stage 1 with intake the intake prob reduces 200-300 off spool time and guessing same for DP so no doubt best combo is stage 2 but can't justify $2500 for 15-20hp in top end and slight increase in low end.

Dan, form your review I was keen on getting BCS DP but ended up almost costing $1900 AUD delivered to Australia, add fitting and I was informed $395 for stage 2 tune if not APR DP I just couldn't justify it.

Had a chat with couple of local tuners here who both stated at this stage not worth going Stage 2 over stage 1 with intake. If APR do an increased torque Stage 2 tune once DSG flash out and APR DP not too overpriced I will think about it when a sale on. Looking at Dyno of stage 1 with intake the intake prob reduces 200-300 off spool time and guessing same for DP so no doubt best combo is stage 2 but can't justify $2500 for 15-20hp in top end and slight increase in low end.

can you not get another downpipe locally?

I'm ready to order the front pipe but have concerns about a CEL light. Can you shed anu light (pardon the pun) on this @Dandanfings?

Dan, not anything local. Not big market. Cheapest I've found is CTS for $1100. Doesn't really grab me though. Add fitting and tune $1750.

Best option is prob to wait for APR one, then don't have the $395 tune fee and get at Xmas sale. Hopefully $2k fitted and good quality and matched for tune!

Hopefully by then they release stage 2 tune without limiting the torque.

Get DSG tune in couple of weeks so gives me chance to enjoy that for few months first. That's my main goal anyway as stock dsg modes ave in my opinion.

what wheels are they dan if you don't mind we asking ? looks sweet man !!!

If you want a cheap/quality option, I got my downpipe from USA EBAY, I know many here are all about brands and quality and will tell you to stay away from cheap ebay products, but for the price I paid, is really ridiculous to not test it. And I'm glad I did. It's inox and tig welded just as any brand downpipe and yielded awesome results (butt dyno definetely felt it) and I'm not even remapped. So if you like more info, hit me with a PM.

Regards,

I have miltek down pipe and de cat , no way does the car sound farty in any way

Sound like stock but louder , the R600 intake adds to the sounds pepping up the engine grunt

My car has the Revo stage 2 and its quick but iv noticed the standard exhaust doesn't seem that good at flowing now with all these tweeks. To get the best from my car and avoid any issues I am adding a full system .

Would be good to get some comparisons on software as APR and Revo are the uks leaders so far.

@paulk Did you consider replacing your mid muffler to rear muffler 2.5" pipe with a 3" stainless steel pipe?

@paulk Did you consider replacing your mid muffler to rear muffler 2.5" pipe with a 3" stainless steel pipe?
I'd just be moving the restriction and I'm not a big fan of the oe tail pipes so although expensive I think it's the best option

Reactions: RB_172 and Fastgun
Was toying with buying a Scorpion DP at VAG Tuner Live show this weekend and stumbled across this thread ...... now I'm even more tempted !!

Reactions: MikeParkin and batch
I'll be fitting mine soon. Then going to give Revo stage 2 a go. Hope the manual clutch holds out for me haha.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Was toying with buying a Scorpion DP at VAG Tuner Live show this weekend and stumbled across this thread ...... now I'm even more tempted !!

I am going catless and the BCS is still installed, I may purchase the scorpion pipe at VAG Live this weekend also!

Reactions: pburv, MikeParkin and Rob2k68
I am going catless and the BCS is still installed, I may purchase the scorpion pipe at VAG Live this weekend also!

I'll look out for you and your car Dan - was watching your YouTube vids this afternoon glad you sorted your turbo woes that's going to be incredible !!!

Reactions: pburv, Dandanfings and MikeParkin
Will probably get it booked in for a couple of Friday's time to be fitted and have the Revo Stage 2 map put on, thinking either Midland VW or VAGTech.

Reactions: pburv and MikeParkin
Booked in for next Friday for downpipe and stage 2.

Reactions: Fiddie, pburv, batch and 3 others
My cars booked in on the 20th july for armytrix cat back exhaust downpipe and 200 cell sports cat.... cant wait and would the sports cat need to be mapped in?

Reactions: Fiddie, pburv and Rob2k68
My cars booked in on the 20th july for armytrix cat back exhaust downpipe and 200 cell sports cat.... cant wait and would the sports cat need to be mapped in?

That's going to be awesome !!!

As far as I'm aware any aftermarket DP will cause the CEL light (Check Engine Light) to come on and requires a stage 2 remap to sort it out - something to do with the position of or readings from the O2 sensor in the DP. Think there are other solutions though like an O2 sensor spacer but ultimately getting an intake and going stage 2 will give you the best gains when combined with that exhaust system.

Reactions: Fiddie and pburv
Well my reasons........It was cheap to buy, Cheap to tune. I like lots of torque as it makes it easier to overtake and its hilarious blasting past the rich bankers in their R8's and Lambos.
Also my job requires a 'Q' car, the golf R is a little bit too 'loud' compared to the S3 so it was a simple decision for me.

I've had a few modded cars before,and for me it's getting the car to the way you want it,and then,as you say,the fun of annhilating a "better" car at times.
No-one quite believes that the little hatchback has just left them behind.

Keep it up Dan.

Reactions: RB_172 and Rob2k68