B.C.S downpipe + apr remap

Wow, think the traction issues need sorting though that's not far off gtr territory

whoops its 3.15!

Reactions: Rob2k68, sjbarneS3, Martinbanshee and 6 others
looks amazing Dan, who needs a RS3..

Being the sensible type and out of pure interest has it reduced your MPG at all?

Looks impressive, ill be even more impressed if you can match those times on a vbox ;)

Reactions: Leo-RS
In order for your times to have any credibility you MUST buy a race logic Performance box and plot the graph in performance tools showing that 1 foot rollout is off and the gradient from the run.

You cannot seriously use a stop watch to give credibility to your times?

I think you will be surprised. That is not 3.15sec quick.

60mph on speedo does not equal 60mph GPS

If you're going to claim 3.1 to 3.2 60, then please back it up with evidence to support your claim. No one is going to take stopwatch time seriously.

A downpipe adding 10hp will not shave 0.8secs off your 60 time. Sorry.

In addition to that, power makes a car go fast. Up to 100 it is quick due to launch control, being relatively lightweight, 4wd and auto shifts but at the end of the day it has less than 400hp and above 100mph it will struggle against any car that has more power. Impressive as the 0-60, 0-100 times are on the S3, it's not an Autobahn car, it would easily get found out.

Just to put a little perspective on a quick car and a fast car ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Goubo1, superkarl and veeeight
In order for your times to have any credibility you MUST buy a race logic Performance box and plot the graph in performance tools showing that 1 foot rollout is off and the gradient from the run.

You cannot seriously use a stop watch to give credibility to your times?

I think you will be surprised. That is not 3.15sec quick.

60mph on speedo does not equal 60mph GPS

If you're going to claim 3.1 to 3.2 60, then please back it up with evidence to support your claim. No one is going to take stopwatch time seriously.

A downpipe adding 10hp will not shave 0.8secs off your 60 time. Sorry.

In addition to that, power makes a car go fast. Up to 100 it is quick due to launch control, being relatively lightweight, 4wd and auto shifts but at the end of the day it has less than 400hp and above 100mph it will struggle against any car that has more power. Impressive as the 0-60, 0-100 times are on the S3, it's not an Autobahn car, it would easily get found out.

Just to put a little perspective on a quick car and a fast car ;)

was waiting for one of these :rolleyes:
If you compare it to other videos of the speedo which are recording 4.3-4.5 stock and my previous recording of 3.9 it seems to be a fair comparison right, its apples to apples.
Not looking for the Guinness book of records to recognise my claim, i recorded the speedo with my gopro and used sony vegas to time the clips from start to finish.

as for my MPG, its pretty much the same as it always was.

That's all the more impressive then.

Does it matter the exact time? Many factors will apply each time it's ran but it's the response that's so impressive.

That's my point.

You will be laughed off the Internet with your 3.1sec stopwatch claim. You wouldn't last 1 minute telling the guys over at GTROC (R35 forum) that your little S3 can out accelerate one of their GTR's to 60. When asked for proof and you provided a video clip and stop watch 'evidence' you would be laughed at and told to go buy a Performance box to then hold any credence to your claim.

Seriously, that is not a 3.1 to 60. You do realise that surely? 60mph on speedo will be about 57 GPS and then you need evidence of the gradient on the run also. If you launch down a steep hill, you'll take a good few tenths off. A plot in performance tools will prove that it's flat or on a hill.

That just looks as quick as the 3.6 genuine vbox videos I have of my old S3.If you want to throw out these claims, you cannot complain when someone comes along and asks you to prove it.

Do you think car manufacturers, the media, magazine testers and tuners test their cars with Sony Vegas??? No, they use a Racelogic vbox or performance box. It's the industry standard.

What is your 1/4m claim? 10sec run? After all, I see you think you can do 60 in 2.99 after a Stage 2 tweak.

The GTR's that do 60 in 2.99 easily do 1/4's in the 10's so go prove it. Post a verified 1/4m time that backs up your wild claims.

Sorry mate, but I do things properly, I wouldn't have the balls to claim 3.1 to 60 on the basis of stopwatch 'evidence'. If you want to 'break the Internet' you need substantial evidence to prove it.

Go invest in a Racelogic box before you spend anymore money on dynos and sub 3 sec stage 2 tunes. That is not a 3.1sec car, nowhere near.

Last edited:
Reactions: superkarl
For example.

0-100kmh (62.14mph) can be 0.2-0.3secs slower than the 60mph time.

The same applies for speedo error. 57 GPS to 60 GPS will add on the same.

Then you have to take into account that its yourself that is editing your own videos and applying what is essentially an integrated stopwatch, none of which are accurate enough. The video doesn't show the launch properly, you have already released the brake pedal before the counter kicks in (there's digital delay, the digital display does not start moving at the exact point the wheels start to move) Nothing is instantaneous, there's a delay that video will not necessarily pick up on. That's why you need a proper timing unit.

On the video mate, you say you've had a few issues with the apr intake, what issues you having?

Don't want to get caught up in getting all technical, it is only a bit of fun at the end of the day. It does look impressive but would be good to see a vbox time or 1/4 mile time to see what its actually doing.

Anyone got a box they wanna lend him

Reactions: Cymru09
I would have thought APR would be tripping over themselves to lend him one ;)

Reactions: Leo-RS
I'm tempted to whip up a quick iPhone app for gps timing. Probably won't be as accurate as a vbox, but might be better than the speedo?

That's my point.

You will be laughed off the Internet with your 3.1sec stopwatch claim. You wouldn't last 1 minute telling the guys over at GTROC (R35 forum) that your little S3 can out accelerate one of their GTR's to 60. When asked for proof and you provided a video clip and stop watch 'evidence' you would be laughed at and told to go buy a Performance box to then hold any credence to your claim.

Seriously, that is not a 3.1 to 60. You do realise that surely? 60mph on speedo will be about 57 GPS and then you need evidence of the gradient on the run also. If you launch down a steep hill, you'll take a good few tenths off. A plot in performance tools will prove that it's flat or on a hill.

That just looks as quick as the 3.6 genuine vbox videos I have of my old S3.If you want to throw out these claims, you cannot complain when someone comes along and asks you to prove it.

Do you think car manufacturers, the media, magazine testers and tuners test their cars with Sony Vegas??? No, they use a Racelogic vbox or performance box. It's the industry standard.

What is your 1/4m claim? 10sec run? After all, I see you think you can do 60 in 2.99 after a Stage 2 tweak.

The GTR's that do 60 in 2.99 easily do 1/4's in the 10's so go prove it. Post a verified 1/4m time that backs up your wild claims.

Sorry mate, but I do things properly, I wouldn't have the balls to claim 3.1 to 60 on the basis of stopwatch 'evidence'. If you want to 'break the Internet' you need substantial evidence to prove it.

Go invest in a Racelogic box before you spend anymore money on dynos and sub 3 sec stage 2 tunes. That is not a 3.1sec car, nowhere near.

I do not recall complaining, at no point am i comparing my car to a GTR!
You seem to have a real issue with my video here, can i just repeat what i just said and its a apples to apples comparison.
I don't doubt for a second that a GPS device would rob .1-.3 seconds from my time and in all honesty wouldnt care as its still very impressive.

It's not your video. It's your claims.

Some people may view your video, go buy a BCS downpipe, APR Stage 1 tune, run the car with a vbox and record a 3.5-3.6.

The guy on the internet said I would get a 3.1.

You're essentially promoting 2 said products here, an unofficial salesman for both APR and BCS. When you start banding around performance times, they need to be accurate. You are essentially the guinea pig for the products and yes although you're giving good feedback, your claims should be rock solid and squeaky clean.

No disclaimers about what method of timing, just that you think it will do a 2.99 0-60 instead. Which is complete boll*cks. Performance gains don't work like that. You could boost your S3 up to 700hp and not necessarily see any improvements on a '3.1 0-60'

When you start adding more power, your Haldex will struggle to cope and you'll light all 4 wheels up and run slower. There's a fine balance for traction.

Anyway, do as you please, but in your next video, I think you should invest in a performance box. It will shut guys like me up and bring some realism to your claims.

For what it's worth, it will be the best £350 you'll ever spend. You keep for life and you test performance mods with the timing equipment rather than £80 a time dyno sessions that don't tell you very much.

Constructive criticism I suppose. Don't take it as a dig, it's not meant to be.

Reactions: veeeight
It's not your video. It's your claims.

Some people may view your video, go buy a BCS downpipe, APR Stage 1 tune, run the car with a vbox and record a 3.5-3.6.

The guy on the internet said I would get a 3.1.

You're essentially promoting 2 said products here, an unofficial salesman for both APR and BCS. When you start banding around performance times, they need to be accurate. You are essentially the guinea pig for the products and yes although you're giving good feedback, your claims should be rock solid and squeaky clean.

No disclaimers about what method of timing, just that you think it will do a 2.99 0-60 instead. Which is complete boll*cks. Performance gains don't work like that. You could boost your S3 up to 700hp and not necessarily see any improvements on a '3.1 0-60'

When you start adding more power, your Haldex will struggle to cope and you'll light all 4 wheels up and run slower. There's a fine balance for traction.

Anyway, do as you please, but in your next video, I think you should invest in a performance box. It will shut guys like me up and bring some realism to your claims.

For what it's worth, it will be the best £350 you'll ever spend. You keep for life and you test performance mods with the timing equipment rather than £80 a time dyno sessions that don't tell you very much.

Constructive criticism I suppose. Don't take it as a dig, it's not meant to be.

I dont work for them or sell for them, if they were making these claims then absolutely... but this is just me and i make a small video to record the difference after adding my downpipe and quite frankly it blew me away with the difference.
I am happy to redo my times with one of those boxes to make an 'official' time.
Still losing .7 seconds with an apples to apples run is still impressive even if the method used isnt 'approved'.

i just realised you are the guy using a tuning box.... for someone so particular about how things are done you certainly don't use the right equipment for tuning your car!
Thats not a dig either.

I don't see your point?

I tested a tuning box, got some times together, removed the tuning box and sold the car.

My S3 ownership was always going to be a short one and there were no tuning options available at the time I bought the car. What did you want me to do, wait 6 months on a tune coming out? As that's the exact situation that I was in. I tested the car properly at the time with what was available to me at that point. Had I been buying an S3 now for the next few years, I would have taken the car to my preferred tuner (Not APR)

Kind of glad I did, as I sold the tuning box on, didn't have to **** about with getting the stock tune put back in and didn't have any issues with Audi rejecting the car on point of sale. Yes they scanned my car prior to it being handed back. I think there are going to be some big shocks for those that have TD1 coded their cars. Even a flash back to stock may not be enough if you've been reading the VW warranty rejection threads. Handing the car back with TD1 flagged may also have massive implications on the financial contract. I'm glad I went down the tuning box path for the short time I had an S3.

I have an RS6 coming in September and that will be getting tuned properly as there are tested tunes readily available.

Last edited:
Made a little video for those that requested, shame i dont have a stock video but it should give you some idea.

Reactions: RO65ERS and Richy_C
Would like to see what your car does1/4 time. As seen an new golf r with with full exhaust system intercooler customer map and Dsg map and a tte450 turbo doing an 11.6 at Santa pod today

S3 to RS6... hmmmmmmm course mate...

Lol, would you like me to show you my order form :blink:

You do realise that before I had my S3 I had 2 new TTRS's and a brand spanker BMW M5?

The S3 was only ever a temporary 6 month stop gap until the RS3 was released. When it was eventually released, I was mega disappointed so ordered an RS6.

Enough people know me in the VAG tuning scene mate, been to many events, track, 1/4m, vmax, build threads, Facebook groups etc etc.

Tell you what, when I get it, I'll put a tin of beans on the dash for you, take a picture and then you can apologise for your silly comment:lick:

Reactions: S3orge, Cymru09 and veeeight
You do realise that before I had my S3 I had 2 new TTRS's and a brand spanker BMW M5?

Wow. How big is your house and/or c*ck?

The S3 was only ever a temporary 6 month stop gap until the RS3 was released. When it was eventually released, I was mega disappointed so ordered an RS6.

So your here because...?

Enough people know me in the VAG tuning scene mate, been to many events, track, 1/4m, vmax, build threads, Facebook groups etc etc.

Never heard of you :)

Tell you what, when I get it, I'll put a tin of beans on the dash for you, take a picture and then you can apologise for your silly comment:lick:

Go on, I dare you! That would really show me what for.

Good god, playground tactics, really?

S3 to RS6 like its something to be shocked at? Why? :think:I suppose the change from an M5 to an S3 should have raised your eyebrows too. You can't possibly downgrade or upgrade your car:tocktock:

Why am I still here? Why are you here?

You reacted like I said I sold my Vauxhall Corsa for a Bugatti Veyron. S3 to RS6, no big deal mate, calm yourself right down.

Last edited:
Ok before someone starts shouting pants on fire :) cool it :)

I've seen the MTM RS6 monsters and it would be interesting to see how a box works on one of these already very fast Audis.

A

Reactions: j0nny2013, Sandra, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
Hehe, How do you like them apples . You blokes are too funny..."Tin of beans on the dash" hahaha

I think that one's for the front wheel drive mqb models (Golf GTI etc.). I believe (but am happy to be corrected) that the 8V S3 dp is still to be released. :)
Ok, cool. Perhaps APR will offer the free S2 upgrade still from an S1 if you buy the DP??

Fingers crossed! I've just got myself a 2014 S3 and would like to do the APR triple in one go.... downpipe, carbon filter and stage 2 :)

Reactions: RYuill
Dan, I really liked your honest reviews on youtube about the APR and now with the BCS downpipe. I myself have MK7R with APR stage 1, VWR r600 intake and pedal box. My next step is DSG tune for number of reasons but mainly improving the D mode and Race modes.

I like the BCS downpipe set up with the CAT placement further back and think APR will do the same. I will probably wait until it's released and on sale xmas time and go stage 2.

I take it you have now seen that Stage 2 released in USA with dyno results and 1/4 mile confirming very nice results. 28hp and much better low end torque. (11.7 1/4 mile) Like you I would want this for the improved low end and response. Like you I'm in Australia and no release yet for stage 2 but guessing it will be over 400hp and 400lbs, super impressive for minor bolt ons and tune!

I'm looking forward to seeing results in coming months of stage 2 with DSG tune also. Guessing will be good for mid 11's 1/4 and mid 3 0-100km/h.

I take it next step for you will be DSG tune and upgrade to stage 2? I think that will be the perfect combo for our cars!

Dan, I really liked your honest reviews on youtube about the APR and now with the BCS downpipe. I myself have MK7R with APR stage 1, VWR r600 intake and pedal box. My next step is DSG tune for number of reasons but mainly improving the D mode and Race modes.

I like the BCS downpipe set up with the CAT placement further back and think APR will do the same. I will probably wait until it's released and on sale xmas time and go stage 2.

I take it you have now seen that Stage 2 released in USA with dyno results and 1/4 mile confirming very nice results. 28hp and much better low end torque. (11.7 1/4 mile) Like you I would want this for the improved low end and response. Like you I'm in Australia and no release yet for stage 2 but guessing it will be over 400hp and 400lbs, super impressive for minor bolt ons and tune!

I'm looking forward to seeing results in coming months of stage 2 with DSG tune also. Guessing will be good for mid 11's 1/4 and mid 3 0-100km/h.

I take it next step for you will be DSG tune and upgrade to stage 2? I think that will be the perfect combo for our cars!

Thank you :)

Indeed the plan is for official stage 2 map (coming very soon!) and DSG map...... that should keep me happy unless a turbo comes out which does 500bhp with the same response as stock!

Dan, I look forward to your next review with Stage 2 and DSG tune. I'm only guessing but I think 3.3 maybe possible 0-60 with that combo. If 3.7 stage 1, I'm guessing .2 quicker with hardware and about same with DSG tune for better launch etc.

In any terms low to mid 3 0-60 and mid 11 1/4 mile car with 400hp/400lbs crazy fast for daily street car.

Reactions: RYuill
Dan, Can you tell me did you get CEL or any negatives with the BCS downpipe or are you running a stage 2 beta file or similar to remove same?

I'm very tempted to get it as I relly like the design and build quality and don't know if i can wait 6 months til APR one released.

Thanks