Axel Swapping Tyres? + Bad Front Tyres

AudiNutta

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what your opinions are on swapping tyres front to rear?

I've covered 7000 miles now and my fronts are between 4-4.5mm tread and the rears are around 5mm.

My front tyres are really tatty, they have lots of stone cuts in the tread and the leading edge of the tread blocks is breaking away. This is because when Audi test drove the car on two occasions for steering noises, it has burned off half a tank of fuel just manoeuvring round the car park. Basically the tyres are knackered but legal. Question is, do I swap the good rears to the front to even out wear and preserve the fronts a little longer?

I have tried my best to get Audi to pay for at least two tyres and failed, not happy about that and will get onto it tomorrow. As far as I see it, they have worn down the tyres as a consequence of diagnosing the car and I don't see why I should foot that bill. I tread depth gauged the tyres before it went in last time, they lost 0.5mm of tread when in for 2 weeks on the front, gained cuts in the tread blocks and the leading edge breaking away.

I've also got strange wear on one of the front tyres (I know Conti's wear terrible as normal though). My pressures are done every week or two, set to 38 front and 35 rear as per the recommendation on the door. Let me know what you make of these depths on the front for even wear. The measurements from left to right below, are the inside of the corresponding tyre to the outside. The car has been four wheel aligned three times by Audi in the last 2500 miles because of suspension work, so that isn't out of spec!

N/S Front Tyre:
4mm 4mm 4mm 4mm (All Good).

O/S Front Tyre:
4.5mm 4mm 3.5mm 4mm (Very Strange!).

Below are some pictures of the tyre wear, the pictures aren't me trying to find bad parts of the tyre it is just something I noticed when putting tyre gel on and took them in situ... there are many more little cuts in them. Obviously the rear won't wear as much as the front and there is more load on the front, but I have never seen tyres scrubbed in like this (3rd Pic down shows the scrubbing I mean) and with tread falling away.

Good Rear Tyre with nice wear....

Bad front tyre....

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Honest opinion Matt? There's nothing wrong with them, yeah they're lower than I'd expect on that mileage but not extraordinary. I think you'd be pis*ing in the wind trying to get new tyres off Audi. Might be worth rotating them, or just blast through the fronts and chuck some new ones on?

EDIT - Oh and get laser alignment done ASAP, you had a new steering rack didn't you?

Reactions: Jassyo06, 96cr, azibux1 and 3 others
They don't look any different to my tyres, also 7000 miles old. Front tyres carry the majority of the weight, the majority of the braking, all of the steering and generally have a much harder time of it than the rears.

Personally, I was planning on rotating my tyres this weekend.

Reactions: Jassyo06, T-800, azibux1 and 4 others
Always worth to rotate the tyres if you bought 4 at the same time.

Tend to rotate the fronts to the back after 10,000 miles.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Personally I wouldn't swap axles unless the difference in tread depth was greater than 2mm.

I have a pair of Audi original A0 Cont 5s with 5mm tread on for sale at an awesome price if interested.

Reactions: Jassyo06, T-800 and AudiNutta
I always swop mine and consider the wear rates front to rear so I time it to replace all 4.
I do it for both summer and winter tyres.
p.s. those tyres in your picture are fine, just showing signs of wear

Reactions: AudiNutta, richinsoton and Rob2k68
I tend to swap fronts and rears like you describe.
In the old days (last century!!) I used to rotate / swap them diagonally but since the dawn of single directional tyres it's important to swap front / rear keeping them on the same side of the car to ensure they're turning the right way.

Reactions: AudiNutta and Rob2k68
They lost 0.5mm? Is your tread depth gauge really that accurate? It could be that you just measured from a slightly different part of the tyre to when it went in.

In the politest way possible, I'm sorry to say there's nothing wrong with those at all and I personally wouldn't be going to Audi about it... They will begin to think you're a bit of a joker with silly requests like two new tyres.

Just my opinion of course :)

Reactions: 96cr, Audi Bairn, batch and 3 others
Mate you tampered with a loan car tampering with the exhaust flaps, don't take the p#ss asking for new tires.

Reactions: richinsoton and azibux1
I would never swap axle again, after finding a previous car very skittish for the subsequent few-1000.

When I asked, was told the wear profile would have been different front to back.

Reactions: Jassyo06
When I mentioned this to Audi the sales manager took it quite seriously, not because it went in for one fault but it has now gone in for two steering faults and he saw my point. He said the tyres didn't look right, they backed me up that's all.

Thanks for the input all :)

Honest opinion Matt? There's nothing wrong with them, yeah they're lower than I'd expect on that mileage but not extraordinary. I think you'd be pis*ing in the wind trying to get new tyres off Audi. Might be worth rotating them, or just blast through the fronts and chuck some new ones on?

EDIT - Oh and get laser alignment done ASAP, you had a new steering rack didn't you?

They don't look any different to my tyres, also 7000 miles old. Front tyres carry the majority of the weight, the majority of the braking, all of the steering and generally have a much harder time of it than the rears.

Personally, I was planning on rotating my tyres this weekend.

They lost 0.5mm? Is your tread depth gauge really that accurate? It could be that you just measured from a slightly different part of the tyre to when it went in.

In the politest way possible, I'm sorry to say there's nothing wrong with those at all and I personally wouldn't be going to Audi about it... They will begin to think you're a bit of a joker with silly requests like two new tyres.

Just my opinion of course :)

Reactions: azibux1
I would never swap axle again, after finding a previous car very skittish for the subsequent few-1000.

When I asked, was told the wear profile would have been different front to back.

I might try mine after the advice given here, but if I notice any negative effects I will swap them back.

After the supllying dealer pushing Audi UK, they reluctantly agreed to give some compensation after the second fault.

They have agreed to £1000 discount off of an RS3, then the supplying dealer have offered in advance £1000 discount. For my spec car it's roughly 4% discount.. which is good going before the price of the car has been released. I will try and push a little more before applying the Audi UK discount anyway :p

Reactions: xBox
RS and discount doesn't really go in the same sentence, the most I ever saw on car wow on a £47.5k RS3 was £1500 and that would have included the dealer contribution.

From the websites I've seen it on, they think (the Saloon at least) will be £45k basic, Sportback probably around £43k I'd guess.

RS and discount doesn't really go in the same sentence, the most I ever saw on car wow on a £47.5k RS3 was £1500 and that would have included the dealer contribution.

From the websites I've seen it on, they think (the Saloon at least) will be £45k basic, Sportback probably around £43k I'd guess.

Yep I know, I am expecting that already haha. I have a good relationship with my dealer, got 12% on the S3.
I was hoping for 3/4% discount on the RS, I have that now without a battle so I can be somewhat happy even if I don't get anymore. Audi have called it compensation (the £1000 from them), but they won't lose anything by it as they aren't paying anything out as such it's just a contribution.

I am working on the RS being £45k, by the time I add the necessary extras and most likely an exclusive colour... I am expecting £55k :O :( Awesome car though.

So, tyres.... I spoke to Audi UK for a general update, he confirmed the £1000 payout from both parties.
He said it is yet to be finalised, but Audi UK are looking to pay for two tyres and the supplying centre the other two. I don't see why the dealer would pay or tyres and I will tell them that, it has nothing to do with them (they aren't even the centre that worked on it). I will be over the moon if Audi UK cover the cost for two. I will likely change to Pirelli then from the Continental, purely on aesthetics.

Not a £55k car IMO though…

Reactions: Rob2k68
Not a £55k car IMO though…

Yeah I agree, it's a lot of money for the car but I wouldn't want one and have to compromise on spec. The big things missing off mine are the Tech Pack and SS seats, if it had them I'd be very happy.

Thing is, I can't think of anything else I'd buy for £55k. I'd like the S4 Avant, but it isn't as quick and for that money it is still 'subtle' like the S3. The RS4 if it still going to be a V8, I would buy 100% but a V6 ruins it IMO. Again, £55k basic RS4 and another £15k for decent spec and that's over my budget.

BMW, I love the look of an M3 but they are over £60k for half decent specs... it's RWD and I'm not a fan of the interior, really.

Mercedes A45, sounds good but I don't like Mercedes, never been a Merc fan.

Porsche, you can get a nice Porsche for that money but it's too small and no good for a long term car, again I haven't sat in one but online it looks as if they lack the luxury factor. Maybe I should call into the showroom one day?

Bravo on getting Audi to front up the tyres. I've just had a look at mine and they're in far worse shape than yours are. However;

I will likely change to Pirelli then from the Continental, purely on aesthetics.

Aesthetics would not even make the top 20 in reasons I would choose tyres... Wet & Dry grip levels, noise, wear rates, resistance to kerb damage, weight, price, availability, resistance to aquaplaning... These reasons would feature on page 1 of 'GSB's Big Book of Tyre Selection Factors'... Aesthetics though, would be found somewhere around page 82.

Reactions: Rob2k68, Jassyo06, richinsoton and 4 others
Bravo on getting Audi to front up the tyres. I've just had a look at mine and they're in far worse shape than yours are. However;

Aesthetics would not even make the top 20 in reasons I would choose tyres... Wet & Dry grip levels, noise, wear rates, resistance to kerb damage, weight, price, availability, resistance to aquaplaning... These reasons would feature on page 1 of 'GSB's Big Book of Tyre Selection Factors'... Aesthetics though, would be found somewhere around page 82.

I am surprised they paid up, I haven't had to push at all its all the sales team.. can't speak highly enough of them.

The P Zero's seem to be well rated, the only downside with the P Zero's and Conti's are road noise, which matters a lot in the 8V as they are quite noisy throughout the range. The P Zero's offer huge kerb protection due to the design, which is another reason for me.

My car rarely gets let loose on country roads, despite being in Wales I would have to travel a fair bit to get to anywhere remote enough. The car gets driven well, but nowhere to the extent where I ever run out of capability in the tyres, so on that front I don't need semi-slicks.

I am interested in the MPSS, but the cost is around £100 a tyre more and I would lose the 'stretched' look I like. I would never go budgets on a car, but Pirelli are the cheaper of the tyres on the market and it will likely be when I change them my order will be in for an RS3. If I went down the MPSS route, I wouldn't then want to be disappointed changing to Pirelli on the RS.... lot's tot think about, haha.

Bravo on getting Audi to front up the tyres.
This. I'm impressed and surprised.

So what's the deal... You get £1000 and spend it on whichever tyres you want?

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Conti 5 are rubbish for wear.

This is my rear at 16k miles - I got it with 11k miles on and I think the tyres had been rotated.

Attachments

• IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 108
Reactions: Audi Bairn and AudiNutta
This. I'm impressed and surprised.

So what's the deal... You get £1000 and spend it on whichever tyres you want?

I am equally as surprised haha.

Originally my dealer said a £1000 Audi Voucher but Audi UK were reluctant as they gave me a £250 one last time.

Deal is that Audi UK are giving me £1000 discount off my next car, the supplying dealer have signed off an additional £1000 discount on the next car in advance so that's a £2000 contribution immediately. (Good for an RS3)

The tyres I am waiting for confirmation on but Audi UK said they are in talks with the dealer for Audi UK to pay for 2 tyres and the dealer the other two. Not sure what the dealer will have to say about that, but two tyres alone seem good enough for me. Like I said I haven't pushed, I told the supplying dealer that the tyres were tatty after the work. He saw the photos and agreed, told Audi UK and now I have an offer of tyres.

I'm not sure what price bracket they would set, in expecting them to say the same tyres which are Conti's. But, the Pirelli are cheaper so I'm sure they will bite my hand off when I opt for them.

I will have to sign an agreement which states that I am accepting the compensation given in full and final for the problems to date. I have stressed it is problems to date, because if the rack went again matters will change obviously and I've been told that goes without saying, I will be checking the wording anyway.

Reactions: azibux1

This is my rear at 16k miles - I got it with 11k miles on and I think the tyres had been rotated.

That is bad, I had the same on my Fiesta and I had two new tyres replaced over a month of me having the car due to bad wear. The new ones went the same after a few months (alignment done).

Not too bad overall then. Hopefully it all works out!

Not too bad overall then. Hopefully it all works out!

Yes it's all good, I'd have rather had the voucher in case I don't get an RS for any reason but if I don't I haven't lost anything as it wasn't mine anyway.

Thank you!

I got 21k miles from the front set of the Conti's after say 10 k miles they looked dreadful /knackered that's just the the way it is with them
Now l have done 23k miles on the rears and just one needs replaced the other is still good,but saying that l will replace both in the next few weeks.

Yep I know, I am expecting that already haha. I have a good relationship with my dealer, got 12% on the S3.
I was hoping for 3/4% discount on the RS, I have that now without a battle so I can be somewhat happy even if I don't get anymore. Audi have called it compensation (the £1000 from them), but they won't lose anything by it as they aren't paying anything out as such it's just a contribution.

I am working on the RS being £45k, by the time I add the necessary extras and most likely an exclusive colour... I am expecting £55k :O :( Awesome car though.

A £55k RS3 Sportback..... That's serious monthly payments unless your putting down at least 20% deposit, if l got a RS3 l would be putting down over 20% just so l could sleep better at night and no exclusive colour as the RS3 is pretty rare on roads around my way so it doesn't warrant it in my opinion ,Ara blue all the way, as l see it your sale of your current car is your only obstacle in your way to the RS3, good luck with it

A £55k RS3 Sportback..... That's serious monthly payments unless your putting down at least 20% deposit, if l got a RS3 l would be putting down over 20% just so l could sleep better at night and no exclusive colour as the RS3 is pretty rare on roads around my way so it doesn't warrant it in my opinion ,Ara blue all the way, as l see it your sale of your current car is your only obstacle in your way to the RS3, good luck with it

Probably between £600 and £650 a month. £4K deposit maximum for PCP for me. Hopefully then I could put on front end PPF.

If I 'dream' spec an S3 there are 10k of options :/

I don't think I'd have Ara Blue, it's a nice colour but somebody in work just bought an Ara S3 Saloon and they would look to similar for me to be comfortable haha. I don't think I'd go Nardo, for a colour to live with long term.
My opinion on it is if I'm buying it to do it right while I can, then I think it has to be Racing Blue :/ It is £1300 more than Ara.

Changing the S3 early is the only sticking point for me.

Probably be looking closer to £700 p/m

Looking at the SQ5 for a rough idea, £51,200 with a £2000 deposit (£49k) (makes it the same as your £55k RS3 with the £2k Audi said they'd give you and your £4k) comes to £690 p/m with 10,000 miles.

Probably between £600 and £650 a month. £4K deposit maximum for PCP for me. Hopefully then I could put on front end PPF.

If I 'dream' spec an S3 there are 10k of options :/

I don't think I'd have Ara Blue, it's a nice colour but somebody in work just bought an Ara S3 Saloon and they would look to similar for me to be comfortable haha. I don't think I'd go Nardo, for a colour to live with long term.
My opinion on it is if I'm buying it to do it right while I can, then I think it has to be Racing Blue :/ It is £1300 more than Ara.

Changing the S3 early is the only sticking point for me.

Well l was told by a BMW sales Twerp a £57k M2 with a £5k deposit was £900 a month...WTF...........

Selling your S3 privately wont be a problem as long as its spec is desirable but expect between £2000/£2500 deficit.........on the settlement figure the first year as its mainly all interest your paying and the only reason l have gone off Mica Blue is because its similar to Sepang

Looking at the SQ5 for a rough idea, £51,200 with a £2000 deposit (£49k) (makes it the same as your £55k RS3 with the £2k Audi said they'd give you and your £4k) comes to £690 p/m with 10,000 miles.

Yep, £650 is if I'm lucky. I had a quote on the previous RS, £52k car.. £4K deposit, 15k a year at £650 p/m.

I will likely have a car specced between £50k and £55k, £3-£4K deposit plus the £2000 discount from Audi, so £5-£6k deposit.
I will likely set the mileage to the minimum, 6000 miles. Only because I will not hand the car back to the finance company, I don't think very many would. It would either be settled or p/x'ed.

It's a lot of money every month but it's a lot of car. The S3 is £580 a month, yep I know... try to stay upright haha. That was because I had a £3k deposit, had to settle the A3 I had and then Audi Finance wouldn't finance me only Black Horse, so I'm on 10.9% interest. That is another motive to change, won't be paying much more for a better residual value and I will be paying less money into the finance company and more into my big deprecation ;)

Hopefully when it comes to an RS, having paid for the S3 for 12 months on a lesser salary (will be on a salary £12k higher by the time the RS is around) I hope they won't try to tell me my money doesn't cover the cost.
My salary was £12k when I had the A3, £338 a month. My salary was £22k when I requested an RS3 Approved, they set my new budget to £340... yep, a whole £2 more a month for £10k more a year.

Overall at 19, they said the RS3 didn't fit my 'personal profile'. Due to salary, performance, running costs and what they believed would be insurance that would cost more than the car. They wanted a letter from my employer stating my salary was set to go up by a certain date, like hell was I asking my employer for that.

Well l was told by a BMW sales Twerp a £57k M2 with a £5k deposit was £900 a month...WTF...........

Selling your S3 privately wont be a problem as long as its spec is desirable but expect between £2000/£2500 deficit.........on the settlement figure the first year as its mainly all interest your paying and the only reason l have gone off Mica Blue is because its similar to Sepang

That is crazy, haha! Was that an approved M2 though?

Currently Audi value the car at £29k, settlement is £32k and that is 4 months in (when I asked for it). The valuation went up £500 for my car last month? Which surprised me. The car is a nice spec, it has £4-5k of options, sadly no Tech Pack though.

It is simmilar when you consider the cost difference, I agree but it does look great.

Until Audi release the RRP and GFMV............who knows what a RS3 will cost, but it will be a lot more than SQ5 a month mate, only because you'll get a good discount on a SQ5

Until Audi release the RRP and GFMV............who knows what a RS3 will cost, but it will be a lot more than SQ5 a month mate, only because you'll get a good discount on a SQ5

That was just basing it on the standard figures on the calculator, there's no contribution either. Probably gonna be £700 minimum.

It's a lot of car but I wouldn't pay that a month for an A3 based model personally.

That is crazy, haha! Was that an approved M2 though?

Currently Audi value the car at £29k, settlement is £32k and that is 4 months in (when I asked for it). The valuation went up £500 for my car last month? Which surprised me. The car is a nice spec, it has £4-5k of options, sadly no Tech Pack though.

It is simmilar when you consider the cost difference, I agree but it does look great.

Showroom car with all the Carbon Fibre...aids on it.....a plonker had reserved it,and was waiting on finance being approved with a £5k deposit,l should be getting a wee go in a M3 and M4....in the next couple of weeks as my son gets to bring home whats available now,where he didnt with Audi...he had a 640d the other night he offered to take me out in it, l said no,not after he scared the beejesus out of me in the ttrs lol

DSC 0678

Reactions: Tom.H
That was just basing it on the standard figures on the calculator, there's no contribution either. Probably gonna be £700 minimum.

It's a lot of car but I wouldn't pay that a month for an A3 based model personally.

Difficulty is, what else would you get? S4 is too subtle. RS4 will likely be £65k with options... then you're in the same boat, £65k for an A4 platform car.

Approved RS6? Maybe and I'd love to, but I have to squeeze the S3 in the garage and I couldn't keep it safe enough so it's a no. My house is isolated buried deep in a housing estate and we are an end plot, but I can't risk it.

Showroom car with all the Carbon Fibre...aids on it.....a plonker had reserved it,and was waiting on finance being approved with a £5k deposit,l should be getting a wee go in a M3 and M4....in the next couple of weeks as my son gets to bring home whats available now,where he didnt with Audi...he had a 640d the other night he offered to take me out in it, l said no,not after he scared the beejesus out of me in the ttrs lol

View attachment 124886

The M3 is an absolutely outstanding looking car, but RWD is a downside.. not being able to get the power down. Then you have the BMW interior and the fact I love Audi, haha.

That 640d is a nice car, some may say it's ugly and I can see that side of the front end but it's very sharp.

The M3 is an absolutely outstanding looking car, but RWD is a downside.. not being able to get the power down. Then you have the BMW interior and the fact I love Audi, haha.

That 640d is a nice car, some may say it's ugly and I can see that side of the front end but it's very sharp.

He's got a Nogaro Blue M3 next week,6 series is a old mans car,l actually cant stand BMW's lol