Axel nut keeps coming loose!

Jamo2013

Reaction score
Hi, I recently had my wheel bearing changed (front drivers side) and had this issue before the change and I'm still getting it now, the axel nut just keeps coming loose! Any ideas on why this is? I keep torquing it up with a long bar, but after a few days it comes loose again! Any help greatly appreciated!

Jamie

Are you torquing it up to spec or just give it some welly with a bar? New bolt/nut used?

Just giving it some welly with a long bar! Yes new nut used, came with the bearing kit!

Could stand a chance that the drive flange hasn't been pressed far enough into the bearing, hence why it keeps coming undone.

In the bearing kit, was it just a bearing or was it a complete kit (bearing/hub flange/bearing housing)?

If it was just a bearing on it's own, then it could stand a chance that the hub flange wasn't pressed fully into the bearing, hence when you tighten the nut/bolt the hub flange works it's way further into the bearing and it appearing to come loose.

My advice is; If you had a garage do the job, take it back; If you did it yourself and you are 100% sure the bearing was fitted correctly/pressed in fully, TORQUE the hub nut up to the correct setting and keep an eye on it.

wrong size bolt? I would have thought if it wasn't pressed on far enough doing it up should move it on a bit unless this is what's happening and the bolt appears loose until its 'home' what about a bit of locktite.

It can take tonnes(literal tonnes, not as in "loads") of pressure to push in a hub flange/wheel bearing.

a wheel bearing yes and it would have to be all the way in to put the cir clip in place.. but a flange normally presses straight in with out too much force.