Avus Silver A3 2.0T FSI S-Line - Casual build thread (pic heavy)

Most people buy the leds from @t8ups canbus error free, Not sure where Donny got his from though!
They look more blue than mine but might just be the camera!

Looking good @Donny_DJ you like the improved light through the lanes now? Only thing I had problems with is seeing someone oncoming that has halogens as mine just overpower them and can't see the reflection of them! Coming through the lanes can only see my lights and get around the corner to find another car with dull lights oncoming!

Reactions: Donny_DJ
How did you get the LED DRL's to not bring up canbus errors?? Car looks really good, loving all the little details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comment mate. Ash at Audi-Retrofits done all the work - he had to use resistors to avoid errors but prob best to speak with him directly if you needed to know the exact deats ;)

Most people buy the leds from @t8ups canbus error free, Not sure where Donny got his from though!
They look more blue than mine but might just be the camera!

Looking good @Donny_DJ you like the improved light through the lanes now? Only thing I had problems with is seeing someone oncoming that has halogens as mine just overpower them and can't see the reflection of them! Coming through the lanes can only see my lights and get around the corner to find another car with dull lights oncoming!

Yeah they are pure white with a hint of blue - perfect as that was what i was after. Here's the link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252047873009?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

As above you may need resistors. Yeah was out on the lanes last night around Dorset actually and the xenons are 20 times better than the candle-like halogens!

Some nice upgrades there,

Just picked up my 06 2.0tfsi special edition in red yesterday, looking around here for some ideas,...modernising the lighting is high on the agenda, along with some suspension.

Do you have a sound clip of the miltek? I'm getting a bit old for loud exhausts,....and the other half wouldn;t allow it, but I'm partial to something with a little grunt :D

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the comment mate. Ash at Audi-Retrofits done all the work - he had to use resistors to avoid errors but prob best to speak with him directly if you needed to know the exact deats ;)

Yeah they are pure white with a hint of blue - perfect as that was what i was after. Here's the link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252047873009?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

As above you may need resistors. Yeah was out on the lanes last night around Dorset actually and the xenons are 20 times better than the candle-like halogens!
I used to have leds with external resistors and they melted all of the plastic surrounding it and cost me more to repair than it was worth!
Would rather pay the extra to have properly made leds and save any trouble.
Looks great though; hopefully you don't run into any trouble with it!

Some nice upgrades there,

Just picked up my 06 2.0tfsi special edition in red yesterday, looking around here for some ideas,...modernising the lighting is high on the agenda, along with some suspension.

Do you have a sound clip of the miltek? I'm getting a bit old for loud exhausts,....and the other half wouldn;t allow it, but I'm partial to something with a little grunt :D

Keep up the good work.

Thanks @ShEp1.8t - oh nice sounds similar to mine then. Get a progress thread started ;)

Yeah would recommended getting the lighting bits done and the suspension like the B12 kit like mine.

Same here. I don't have a soundclip unfor but can take some footage of it on idle if it helps?! To be honest as it's Resonated there's hardly any difference in sound and definitely no droning on the motorway. I'm more than happy with that.

Look forward to your updates.

I used to have leds with external resistors and they melted all of the plastic surrounding it and cost me more to repair than it was worth!
Would rather pay the extra to have properly made leds and save any trouble.
Looks great though; hopefully you don't run into any trouble with it!

Interesting, yep they do get really hot. The resistors are kinda dangling there which I'm happy with for now as they're not touching anything but will keep an eye on it and take action if need be ;)

Looking good mate, liking what you're doing. Think I'll be plumping for a similar suspension set up, while parked up next to the other guys at the meet on Sunday I thought mine suddenly looked like it was on stilts! Also found out, while getting my bumpers done, that mine is actually Avus silver aswell, that was a headache that wont be repeated.

Exhaust does look a bit better tucked in a little more - I suspect it was originally spec'd on an S3, having put an S3 rear bumper on mine my tailpipes are now hidden away underneath so I'll need to sort that at some point. I think the S line bumper curves under the car more so than the S3 bumper.

Looking good mate, liking what you're doing. Think I'll be plumping for a similar suspension set up, while parked up next to the other guys at the meet on Sunday I thought mine suddenly looked like it was on stilts! Also found out, while getting my bumpers done, that mine is actually Avus silver aswell, that was a headache that wont be repeated.

Exhaust does look a bit better tucked in a little more - I suspect it was originally spec'd on an S3, having put an S3 rear bumper on mine my tailpipes are now hidden away underneath so I'll need to sort that at some point. I think the S line bumper curves under the car more so than the S3 bumper.

Thanks bro, yeah definitely go for the B12 Sportline kit. It lowers the car sensibly whilst still maintaining comfort. Yeah the 'zorst poking out was p*ssin me off so glad it's now sitting as it should be. I think you could be right about the S3 spec although the S3 has a diff part no cos it's Quattro. I think it could be more to do with the fact that when the backbox is connected to the centre pipe it can be slid on partially or fully so that has an affect of the 'poke' of the tips.

Reactions: mookster
Did you have the standard larger airbag wheel. didn't know you could fit the newer round version to the 2006.

Did you have the standard larger airbag wheel. didn't know you could fit the newer round version to the 2006.
If it was the standard square airbag wheel you can change it to the newer one just change the wheel and airbag but there pretty costly.

Reactions: manor13

If it was the standard square airbag wheel you can change it to the newer one just change the wheel and airbag but there pretty costly.

Yeah standard wheel was completely round, no multifunction and had the rectangular airbag as Chris mentioned. I bought the multifunction, flat bottom TTS one from eBay and Ash worked his magic. I think a new loom needed to be fitted to allow the airbag to work. Prob worth dropping him a line mate

Thought I'd upload some pics of the new xenon headlights on the various settings at night time (soz, I don't have any 'before' pics). Also, apologies for the glare - the iPhone 6 camera is not the best - I may take more using my brother's SLR soon.

Anyway...

DRLs:
7210-1464205166-1d92416bb86cf862a6c393d4c925da2e.jpg

Sidelights:
7211-1464205176-6e315afcdb2a10f842a62bccc6711d9a.jpg

Sidelights & Xenons:
7212-1464205183-97786fb50cc6b7328c5e5595a14a96cd.jpg

Really happy with the outcome. Big thanks to @Ash187 at Audi-Retrofits

Reactions: Ash187 and mookster
Tiny update.

I felt the wheel offset of the RS3 Rotors alloys (ET50) is good but they could poke out slightly more so... tentatively bought a pair of 5mm Eibach spacers for the front and got them fitted at the weekend - really happy with the result. The wheels now sit perfectly flush with the arches. Any more and they'd stick out too far and would fail the MOT.

Now thinking about the rears but don't want the tyres catching the rear arches with passengers, hmm, i'll have a think.

7278-1467664738-261de311983725eb0b221a4ae23b3235.jpg

7274-1467664712-0fef7f27bb6ef773d9f16318028cac5d.jpg

7276-1467664725-2d10e125858207e3d0a33da64e7b94e4.jpg

7275-1467664719-948e44c199903cac0a7731929a0f8aaa.jpg

7277-1467664733-77f3a3001fbddcd2f34508e0f291eb7a.jpg

Cheers
Donny

Reactions: DJ_26
That looks spot on Donny! Mine definitely would benefit from some spacers (18" Ronal RS6s ET54). So to get mine near to what you have, would I would need 9-10mm spacers? I'm basing this on the fact that I have an ET54 wheel + 10mm spacers gives an offset of ET44? I'm new to this wheel offset business. I hear ET45 is the ideal offset for the 8P A3.

That looks spot on Donny! Mine definitely would benefit from some spacers (18" Ronal RS6s ET54). So to get mine near to what you have, would I would need 9-10mm spacers? I'm basing this on the fact that I have an ET54 wheel + 10mm spacers gives an offset of ET44? I'm new to this wheel offset business. I hear ET45 is the ideal offset for the 8P A3.

Cheers for the comment mate, yes that's correct. ET50 with a 5mm spacer would give ET45. Just be careful spacing the rear as your tyres may catch the arch if carrying passengers - especially if lowered. It's kind of trial & error. I might space the back 5mm per side and see how it goes ;)

A bit more of an update...................WINGBACKS

The interior is coming along well but my std seats were kinda letting the side down. I have been casually browsing to see what's about but most OEM S3 Recaros/bucket seats are going for silly money on here + eBay, so when @Callum4545 put these up at the right price I had to have them. Fitted them for me too - top guy.

Before:
7315-1468868823-0ef42312f408e736b51f014f058d532d.jpg

Halfway, fitting in progress:
7316-1468868829-406b4cd163aa8d96caf26ee36a04c1bb.jpg

Finished:
7317-1468868834-4643106033007ccdafe61fedadb5523e.jpg

7320-1468868851-c68c18aadeedb5394099a89b74a4fcf8.jpg

7321-1468869223-32b0d3680157517ebf1833f6758e6c33.jpg

The verdict - really chuffed with them, sets off the interior nicely. They are a lot more supportive than the standards. Still getting used to them - so snug on the outside of your legs I keep thinkin my phone's in my pocket. Also the rumours of them being a nightmare on long journeys is exaggerated IMO .... I was in these for around 4hrs on mway and found them nothing but awesome :laughing::hearteyes:

Right, now I need to promise myself not to spend any more money on the car! :seenoevil:

Cheers
Donny

Reactions: kaybee and DJ_26
That's an excellent upgrade! Are they heated too?

That's an excellent upgrade! Are they heated too?

Thanks - unfortunately not as my originals were non-heated. I could've got the wiring and buttons retrofitted in but would've been a lot of hassle and cost so decided I was happy enough as is ;)

Visited Audi-Retrofits to get cruise control fitted as I do long journeys at the weekends.

While down there got S3 pedals installed and facelift brushed alu climate control dials. Top quality work as always, thanks @Ash187.

7360-1469981912-ad07488605425765f10bb8bd363e71ec.jpg

7365-1469981937-9564d1fe4bfa93937beabe56656d7e1c.jpg

Before & after:
7361-1469981914-3e06a38f912908f4172dbfbefaa9d2fe.jpg

7363-1469981926-72659ed6f0757a51475bee5c7e090a1e.jpg

Lots of silver ;)
7362-1469981918-9ea8b939d276354962c03406ad0421ab.jpg

Also treated the Recaros to Liquid Leather cleaner + conditioner. Impressive stuff - really buffs up well and interior smells amazing.
7364-1469981931-58d3037defc92459e430c05f444b9666.jpg

7359-1469981889-a75f9db41dec0361ff167bde923cb2e0.jpg

Reactions: kaybee and Ash187
Looking good mate, seats are very nice. Also spotted your nod to OCD - keeping the left hand knob on the head unit in the upright position ;)

Haha amazing, guilty as charged sir :seenoevil:. Why, that's the only reason I got the multi-function steering wheel :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: mookster
Very nice mate. Really jealous of the wing back seats!! Thinking of getting the bilstein b12 kit for mine just unsure on what ones to go for yet. Have u thought on upgrading ure brakes yet?

Very nice mate. Really jealous of the wing back seats!! Thinking of getting the bilstein b12 kit for mine just unsure on what ones to go for yet. Have u thought on upgrading ure brakes yet?

Thanks Jones. The wingbacks are awesome, the way you gotta look at it is yes you're shelling out anything between £1.6k-£2k but you'll roughly make it back when you take 'em out before selling the car. Yes Bilstein B12 is also a great upgrade, go for Sportline. I have thought briefly about new brakes but spent almost £4k in the past 9 months (waterpump, servicing, upgrades) so need to give my bank account a break :tearsofjoy:

Thanks Jones. The wingbacks are awesome, the way you gotta look at it is yes you're shelling out anything between £1.6k-£2k but you'll roughly make it back when you take 'em out before selling the car. Yes Bilstein B12 is also a great upgrade, go for Sportline. I have thought briefly about new brakes but spent almost £4k in the past 9 months (waterpump, servicing, upgrades) so need to give my bank account a break :tearsofjoy:
Oh now you've put it like that you've got me thinking What are the sportline springs like with everyday driving can you get over speed bumps at a normal speed? I've upgraded my front brakes to s3 calipers with ebc red stuff pads and braided hoses, it's a great upgrade and really stand out behind the wheels only cost about £500 treat yourself:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Donny_DJ
You got the ole cogs working now :weary:. Sportline are absolutely fine for everyday roads/driving. I fitted Pro-Kit springs first on my oem dampers and they were ok but hardly lowered the car (-5mm or something) so switched to B12 Sportline which closed the arch gaps nicely but not low enough to ruin the ride or scrape on humps. Still comfortable too. Where u been looking and have u had a price incl fitment?

You got the ole cogs working now :weary:. Sportline are absolutely fine for everyday roads/driving. I fitted Pro-Kit springs first on my oem dampers and they were ok but hardly lowered the car (-5mm or something) so switched to B12 Sportline which closed the arch gaps nicely but not low enough to ruin the ride or scrape on humps. Still comfortable too. Where u been looking and have u had a price incl fitment?
Allright think u minght of changed my mind now was thinking sportline minght of been abit too much for our lovely uk roads and speed bumps and wanted to keep the use ability and not slow down to 5mph for speed bumps. I've got a price from euro car parts of 575 for either b12 proline or sportline and I'll be fitting them myself as I'm a mechanic so save abit of money their.

Attachments

• 20160709_114232.jpg
    20160709_114232.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 164
Your car is inspiring me. I just bought rotor wheels 19x8.5 ET42. Soon I'll post some pictures here. But I think I'm going to use eibach pro kit. Congrats! Very nice setup!

Your car is inspiring me. I just bought rotor wheels 19x8.5 ET42. Soon I'll post some pictures here. But I think I'm going to use eibach pro kit. Congrats! Very nice setup!

Thanks - great choice on the Rotors. With that offset they were probably from an A4 or something? Honestly I wouldn't bother with Eibach Pro - go straight to Sportline :100:%

I don't know from which car they came from. The guy that sells them for me were using in a Jetta.
Brazilian roads doesn't let me choose a lower kit like sportline. Furthermore, I notice that sportline differs manly at the rear. And I prefer the rear a little higher than the front. So I think i'm going by pro kit even. Thanks for the tips. I'll post some pictures at the Rimz Thread.