AVS Service Light

ScottyKemp

Reaction score
Just had my Audi S3 serviced about 2 weeks ago, but the service light says 8000 miles till next AVS, even though it should be on about 18,000. Went back to the dealers who were no fu(king help the tw@t just said "I DON'T KNOW" Give it aother 2000 miles to settle down. I said I have done nearly 900 miles since it was serviced it should of settled down by now.

The thing is it went down 500 miles at the weekend even though I only drove about 50 miles. Is there something wrong with the car because after the last AVS Service at 27,000 i only did 10,000 and then it asked for another service ! So that is 3 AVS services and the car has only done 40000 miles is this right (OBVIOUSLY NOT).

Any advice would be appreciated. Before the Service Manager at the dealers loses an eyeball /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif !

Thanks
Scott

i think it has something to do with the sort of driving ie short or long trips, i pick my car up from Germany with 3,600 on the clock(8months old) saying it needed a service in 9,600 time by the time i had driven it to the uk that had gone up to 15,000 then i drove to portugal and it went to 20,000 plus, i had the 1st service at 30,000 and the second at 60,000 (all the above are in kms) mine is a late 2000 model with predictive servicing

Don't really do short trips, 50 miles a day to work and back. That is what Audi tried saying. TBH I don't believe a word of it just another way of the fu(kers getting more money out of us !

Never ogoing back to Audi for servicing. AMD will have to do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif) although it is an hour away at least they know what they are on about, and don't have monkeys working in the workshops !

Hi scott

Mine read about 9000 miles until next service for a while after 1st AVS. It eventally read approx 19000 after a while, there has been a few posts in the past about this. I have done 29k and it is reading 7000 miles until 2nd AVS, so 40000 for 3rd AVS seems soon and i do mainly 60 miles a day. You dont need to stick with AVS services you can change to set mileage service.

Soon as my warrenty runs out i will definatly use after market tuner for servicing.

ScottyKemp,

From your first post it does seem slightly odd that at 40k miles you're already on 3 AVS services. If you were a fairly normal user i.e. not too many ridiculously short cold start trips...i would expect more like 13-17k per stint as such....however i suppose it is not beyond the realms of possibility to have this kind of history.

There was an excellent article in audi driver magazine back in 2002 about exactly how the variable servicing setup worked. I haven't got the mag with me at the mo...but it goes along the lines of monitoring the frequency, duration, engine temps of your usage and it also monitors the state of the oil. the clever bit with this is how it uses an heated element in the engine which if i recall correctly is heated to a set temp and then left to cool while monitoring it's rate of heat loss...apparently from this the ecu etc can figure out how dirty/broken down the oil is. I'm only stabbing in the dark...but maybe this is somehow going wrong and leading to early AVS call up.

On the weekend i can dig out the full gen (i don't think how i've described is totally correct - but i'm sure foolish3 or someone will be along to correct me).

The only other advice that i'm sure others will give is too try to chill ...give it another 1000 - 2000 miles and then have a look at the indicator...it may well go back up. Although as you have stated ...it is a bit worrying that it is already going down!

Should all else fail...forget trusting the indicator, at least you know when and how it's been serviced..and if it really troubles you, just go to fixed interval servicing like i have done...i.e. every 15,000kms = 9,321 miles

Scotty - I had exacly the same problem and the stealers told me that this was normal - Rollocks ! I went back and asked them to plug the VAG laptop into the computer and they said that the service indicator had been set incorrectly - they reset it again and the next time it came on it started at 18k and goes downwards - Go back and get them to do the same with your motor mate - They are GIMPS who dont know one car from another - Let me know how you get on

ok so far my kind have been referred to as gimps and a monkey,hmmmm, NO i wont rise to it but i will give you some needed advice!

evotista is correct it is almost worked out exactly as he/she has described.

back when longlife servicing was launched back in approx 2000, service lights were usually set wrong because noone really new how to correctly reset the longlife service!
with most cars you can reset the service light on the dash BUT not with longlife servicng, it must be reset by going into the dash insert and resetting adaption 2 to 0. when this is done the dash will say 9300 miles till next service due. after apporz 100 miles (noone knows exactually) the sevice time should increment to teh correct remaining time. if it goes down it will never go back up time or milage wise.

what may have happened is when the service light was reset, it may have been reset to standard servicing accidently, causing you grief. but you may find that the dealer wont admit their problem, obiously it may embaras them a little.

what you need to do is take it to te dealer and ask them to check to see if it s on longlife servicing, it will take them all of 30secs to check,as long as they have someone free.

if it were on longlife you would need to see

adress word 42=9,000 / 43=19,000 / 44=730 / 45=2

this would be for a petrol longlife in order you have min milage then max milage the days and finally oil quality 2 signifies longlife petrol engines.

if not on longlife you would see

42=9,000 / 43=9,000 / 44=365 /

ope this helps, just post if you have anymore questions.

if you have been doing 15k between servicing and then after servicing it drops to about 10k then its a sign that somthing has been reset wrong or the driving style has changed.

Foolish - Sorry - But my local dealer are "Gimps" I have been waiting 5 weeks for a ****** lumbar seat motor - Still no ETA - No offence meant - All the best mate

they are fun to fit! NOT

pain in the rear end, but they can be done without taking out the seat, just check the back panel is fitted correctly after it is done bacause they break very easily!!!

i think i know the dealer you are talking bout is it franklin audi, lol they used to have a guy working there called Clint Eastwood and thats not even a joke i did my apprenticeship with him nearly 6 years ago!

No It's not Franklin = I read a post some time ago on here about clint eastwood at Franklin Audi - Did he have a Horse ? Where do you work ?

I know this is an old thread but thanks to foolish3uk's advice above I can sleep well.
Had a long life service today and checked my service indicator when i got home and it said 9300 miles until next service. Glad I searched this forum and found out why before taking the car back tomorrow morning.
Cheers foolish3uk you've saved me a journey! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I have recently too had my second AVS service and have done about 800 mile since.. When i got the car back i checked the AVS service indicator and it said 9000 miles before next service.. I questioned the service manager and he got one of the guys in the workshop to come and have a look..

He told me that is has been reset and that it will take 200-300 mile before it sorts itself out, only last week did it go up to 12600 miles and is still stuck at 12600 miles..