AVS and Oil

I

imported_gek

Hi all

Just had a slight panic. I've been checking the oil level on my S3 since getting it from a main dealer at the end of July, and topping up according from the oil my dealer gave me FOC when I purchased the car.

I've just noticed it's Castrol SLX Longlife II which I'm sure I recall someone here saying is not suitable for the S3 if you are using AVS? Have I screwed something as a result of using it? I've only put 1 litre in.

Help!

no you will be ok you can use slxII it might justt reduce the service interval but 1 ltr should not be a problem

You should be using SLX not SLX II. Or Mobil 1.

I have heard though that you can put any oil in as a top up (up to 1 litre i think) in an emergency situation i.e Oil light comes on, get any old oil in!

I would get a litre of the proper stuff to use from now on.

Rich.

As I understand it you should be using VW503.01 approved oil in your S3, but as has been previously stated, it shouldn't be a problem to top up using VW503.00. See this post for lists of both 503.00 and 503.01 approved oils.

That list is a great help, thanks a lot!

I could do with being able to get hold of one that they sell in petrol stations as that way I can use my company Allstar card to buy them. Sure I've seen the Helix Ultra for sale.

210. I wasn't aware there ever was a 180 version, only a 180 TT

That's right. I think the 1.8TQ was 180bhp.

[ QUOTE ]
it all depends what bhp your s3 is 180,210,225? on what oil you need

[/ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression that all S3s should be using 503.01.

[ QUOTE ]
MingBlueMagic said:
That's right. I think the 1.8TQ was 180bhp.

[ QUOTE ]
it all depends what bhp your s3 is 180,210,225? on what oil you need

[/ QUOTE ]
I was under the impression that all S3s should be using 503.01.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct!
Rich.

i have just spoken to an audi tech at head office he says all s3's should be using Castrol SLX 503.01 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
xmaslolly said:
i have just spoken to an audi tech at head office he says all s3's should be using Castrol SLX 503.01 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Any oil which is 503.01 will be ok. Typically in the UK it seems to be mainly Castrol SLX or Mobil1.

Rich.

Would I be ok with Shell Helix Ultra? Apparently it is 503.01

[ QUOTE ]
gek said:
Would I be ok with Shell Helix Ultra? Apparently it is 503.01

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as it is 503.01 yes.

Cheers
Rich.

I've only ever seen Shell Helix Ultra in small (1 litre?) bottles. It's a shame really as you can now get PlusPoints on purchases of oil. Until I find somewhere that sells it in at least 4 litre bottles, I'm sticking to Mobil 1.

Just spoken to them and they are going to drain all the oil, replace with SLX and fill the tank with fuel to compensate me for the journey! That's good service!

Wish I knew that, when I bought my S3 some 2 1/2 years ago I was given a 1L bottle of SLXII, used that, also bought and used a 2nd one as well, before realising it was the wrong oil, dont think it did the car any harm though, its done nearly 25k miles now and still running well

[ QUOTE ]
gek said:
Now I'm thinking, if they gave me a bottle of SLXII when I bought the car, is that the oil in the engine? I suppose the best thing is to give them a ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would! Check your reciept to see if it says on there.

Rich.