LeeDaviesS3

Ara Blue S3 Sportback
Reaction score
My front's are ridiculously low, to the point I would be done if pulled, so time for 2 new tyres :)

I have been on a few local sites and put my reg in and all seem to be coming back with good deals on Avon tyres.
Now I have never heard of these myself but a guy at work has had them fitted to his Focus RS and says they seem good after around 8k miles. He also mentions they are very quiet and long-lasting (upto now)

I am running 225/40/R18 currently using Continental ContiSportContact 5's

Has anyone here had or heard anything about them?

They are £77 each fitted (Avon ZZ5's)
The ContiSportContact 5's are £95 each fitted.
P Zero's are also £95 each fitted and although better grip rated, the fuel economy is appalling.

My driving consists of 90% commuting to work which is made up of 8 miles on 30mph roads and around 4 miles of 50mph dual carriageway.

Regards

Have you looked at Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 or Uniroyal Rainsport 3? Both tyres get excellent reviews.

I've just gone from Conti Sport Contact 6's to Michelin Pilot sport 4's. They are far more expensive, but come tops in most tyre tests.

Doesn't matter how you drive. I always believe in fitting the best tyres possible, as those 4 contact patches may save your live one day. The difference of £40 per tyre may be the difference between stopping short of what's in front of you, and slamming into what's in front of you.

I've just gone from Conti Sport Contact 6's to Michelin Pilot sport 4's. They are far more expensive, but come tops in most tyre tests.

Doesn't matter how you drive. I always believe in fitting the best tyres possible, as those 4 contact patches may save your live one day. The difference of £40 per tyre may be the difference between stopping short of what's in front of you, and slamming into what's in front of you.

I agree which is why I am not renewing the contisport 5's, they were trash for grip, albeit they are very low on tread now.
The tests seems to rate the AVON highly which is why I asked in anyone has experienced them.

I did look at the PS4's too.

I fully agree with you there mate, but playing devil's advocate! If you stop quicker, then you have to hope the guy behind also has good tyres to be able to match your stopping distance before running into the back of you lol.

@ the OP, try your local Costco, ,they do some good deals and if you buy from them any punctures in the future get repaired for free.

I fully agree with you there mate, but playing devil's advocate! If you stop quicker, then you have to hope the guy behind also has good tyres to be able to match your stopping distance before running into the back of you lol.

@ the OP, try your local Costco, ,they do some good deals and if you buy from them any punctures in the future get repaired for free.

I had a set of Avon tyres on a previous car. I hated them. The grip was awful in the wet and they were very scrappy in the dry too. Certainly not as good as the Dunlop’s they replaced. This was 10 years ago on an Astra SRi however - which is arguably crap regardless of tyre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

All those old Vauxhalls had understeer and front traction issues , it's their signature .

I have experience of the Uniroyal Rainsport 3 (all be it on a MK5 Golf GTI) but they were a great all round tyre and excellent value for money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nowt wrong with Avon tyres and l am sure they are OEM fitted on some car makes, there's a lot of tyre snobbery at times l wouldn't give Michelin the extra money for their rubber, l had Conti’s on my last car and i found them good 23k miles and l now pirelli on my current car and they will replaced by pirelli as I really like them

Nowt wrong with Avon tyres and l am sure they are OEM fitted on some car makes, there's a lot of tyre snobbery at times l wouldn't give Michelin the extra money for their rubber, l had Conti’s on my last car and i found them good 23k miles and l now pirelli on my current car and they will replaced by pirelli as I really like them
It's not snobbery, it's about paying a bit extra for better quality.

It's not snobbery, it's about paying a bit extra for better quality.
In your opinion it's subjective its only a S3 and not a high performance sports car
I still wouldn't pay over the odds for Michelin tyres and never will, my Mrs has Michelin pilot sport 4 on her car and l wouldn't say they where special at all,, actually they are pretty noisy and look gash with no rim protection at all
Goodyear or Pzeros

Reactions: davc and Lehn
I had Avon zz3 on a previous car.

Couldn't fault them. They were 245/45/r18 they were quiet got around 17k miles from the front backs were still on when car got sold.

I've also had the rainsport 3 from uni royal and they were fine but then again I don't drive like Lewis Hamilton and do 90% motorway driving

In your opinion it's subjective its only a S3 and not a high performance sports car
I still wouldn't pay over the odds for Michelin tyres and never will, my Mrs has Michelin pilot sport 4 on her car and l wouldn't say they where special at all,, actually they are pretty noisy and look gash with no rim protection at all
Goodyear or Pzeros

It's not tyre snobbery. My decisions are mainly based on tyre performance, based on Tyre tests. Mainly Evo magazine.

While the S3 is not a sports car, it is deemed a sports saloon, and thus has a decent level of performance, which to me warrants a good performance tyre, not just in the dry, but in the wet. The main brands, Pirelli, Continental, and Michelin, outperform the other brands in most areas.

While it could be argued that sticking PS4's on a S3 is overkill, as it `only` has 300bhp, and not 600bhp, it's having the confidence that come rain or shine, booting it in any gear will give you total traction, even in extreme wet conditions. And should the opportunity (limited these days) arise for a little exuberant driving, you want the tyre to give you consistent performance and grip, which going off tyre tests, the big 3 brands give you.

But going back to my original post. For me anyway, I want a tyre that should I need to brake very heavily to avoid a crash, I want a tyre that is proven to offer that level of braking ability. Again, the main 3 brands offer better braking performance over the others. It just depends what you want in a tyre, and what you feel is worth the extra money for either brand image or performance.

When I bought my Twingo 133 RS, it came with tyres not from the 3 top brands. Can't remember the make TBH. But you could feel the car struggling for grip in the corners, washing wide. And in the wet, to me, I thought they were dangerous. Having changed tyres to PS3's, the difference in performance was night and day. Total grip in the dry (and I fling the thing into corners) and confidence inspiring grip in the wet.

I would always want my car over-tyre'd rather than under-tyre'd. As I've said, those 4 little contact patches `might` just save your life one day.

On another note, how the hell did you get 23,ooo miles out of a set of Conti's? My car has only done 26,000 miles, and I've gone through 3 sets of tyres. 2 sets of Conti's. Came with 5's, swapped for 6's after 14k miles, and just changed last week to PS4's. And I don't drive that enthusiastically in the S3 as generally the GF doesn't like been driven quickly, and there's a dog in the back.

Just putting it out there but GT Radial 'sport active' are not bad for the money (£72 on asda fitted in your size)

They test there tyres in Germany now and reviews said there a lot better now than before.

Have look at Vredestein Ultrac Vorti ran them on my 2.0T Sline Quattro lasted for ever 30,000 plus miles . Not bad for 74 quid a corner. Check reviews on tyre reviews.They will be going on my S3 When the Bridgestones are done .
AndyF Team Navarra

Reactions: dp_motley and Raiden
My front's are ridiculously low, to the point I would be done if pulled, so time for 2 new tyres :)

I have been on a few local sites and put my reg in and all seem to be coming back with good deals on Avon tyres.
Now I have never heard of these myself but a guy at work has had them fitted to his Focus RS and says they seem good after around 8k miles. He also mentions they are very quiet and long-lasting (upto now)

I am running 225/40/R18 currently using Continental ContiSportContact 5's

Has anyone here had or heard anything about them?

They are £77 each fitted (Avon ZZ5's)
The ContiSportContact 5's are £95 each fitted.
P Zero's are also £95 each fitted and although better grip rated, the fuel economy is appalling.

My driving consists of 90% commuting to work which is made up of 8 miles on 30mph roads and around 4 miles of 50mph dual carriageway.

Regards
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Avon/ZZ5.htm

Avon tyres are very good, I am a huge fan of the WV7 winter tyre which I run from late Oct to Mar. I haven't experienced the ZV5's but they get excellent reviews on blackcircles.

Recently fitted Falken FK510’s

Lovely tires, cheap too
Great tyres, I run them on my S3 and they are fantastic in the wet.

I also find them better all round than the contis that came with the car.