Aviva...don't bother

S32B

Reaction score
Insurance is due soon, so I installed and drove around for 200 mile with the Aviva drive app running (driving like Miss Daisy :().

I scored 8.5/10 which gave me the max discount. Just did a quote = £668 which is one of the highest out there! I paid £272 last year with AXA.

Don't bother using it, it's not worth the 200 mile of boring driving :D

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, TDI-line and 1 other person
That sounds like a challenge, how low can you go :tongueclosed:

If "average" in their app is not 50% then they need to reevaluate their actuarial tables. ******* insurance ********. I HATE so much paying money just in case something happens. I have used it ONCE in 19 years of driving/riding and they raised my rates by 3x for three years thereafter (I hit black ice on my motorcycle and so i "lost control of the vehicle").

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Audi Bairn
I got a quote from them in December through TopCashback, the quote was £300 more than my average quotes of £350 for my TDI 184Q, i went with John Lewis, again through TopCashback, quote was £300 instead, and i got £41 cash back too.

That sounds like a challenge, how low can you go :tongueclosed:
lmao I was going to set that as a challenge...feel free to take part :D It's been shown that even after driving carefully and obtaining the max discount their quotes are high! So nothing to lose ;) Last year they knocked me below 7.1 as I accelerated to fast.

I got a quote from them in December through TopCashback, the quote was £300 more than my average quotes of £350 for my TDI 184Q, i went with John Lewis, again through TopCashback, quote was £300 instead, and i got £41 cash back too.
Strange, as when I first got the car Aviva were about £301! So why the sudden jump???

My A3 was £367 last yearafter using that app...Cheapest elsewhere I could get was ~600 so Aviva were cheapest for me even without discount

My A3 was £367 last yearafter using that app...Cheapest elsewhere I could get was ~600 so Aviva were cheapest for me even without discount

Same here Aviva was cheapest even without app. With app I saved another 130 pounds

No point me trying the App with the RS4.

Reactions: davc, pburv and Audi Bairn
I've always avoided these insurance apps.
What do they measure and how accurate are they.
Surely there's plenty of bad driving which they can't detect?
I'm thinking, if you drove smoothly, within speed limit but up the M6 on the wrong side of the road, it would give you a good rating?

Reactions: richinsoton and pburv
I've always avoided these insurance apps.
What do they measure and how accurate are they.
Surely there's plenty of bad driving which they can't detect?
I'm thinking, if you drove smoothly, within speed limit but up the M6 on the wrong side of the road, it would give you a good rating?

I found it went a bit tits up in my works underground car park as it showed me driving through fields near by (and a runway), and also went tits up going through the Clyde tunnel, as it showed me zig zag across the Clyde, then through a few buildings then doubled back when gps signal came back. Had to delete that journeys or I'd guess my score would have been tarnished.

Reactions: richinsoton, pburv and Audi Bairn
This is how insurance "works".
One year one company is cheaper then the next its someone else.
Their premiums will, despite noise about anything else, be based upon claims their customers have made during the year previous year(s) that they need to recover to maintain their margins, so will fluctuate greatly.
These App things are another gimmick that seem to be realing a few in. Personally I'd rather big brother wasn't watching!!!!!

Always shop around and I tend to always give my current provider the opportunity to match the lowest quote I've received, which tends to be fruitful on more occasions than it's not. If they don't I move on to another provider, no problem.

Reactions: davc, TDI-line, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Insurance is due soon, so I installed and drove around for 200 mile with the Aviva drive app running (driving like Miss Daisy :().

I scored 8.5/10 which gave me the max discount. Just did a quote = £668 which is one of the highest out there! I paid £272 last year with AXA.

Don't bother using it, it's not worth the 200 mile of boring driving :D

View attachment 113764 View attachment 113765
Ha ha saw that coming when you stated you were using the 'black box' in another thread...lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Just out of interest, but have you guys had any claims recently?
Nope, last claim was when I was 19, I'm now in my 40's.

Ha ha saw that coming when you stated you were using the 'black box' in another thread...lol
Gutted that I'll never get that 200 mile back :( Finished off funnily enough around your neck of the woods!

You should of drove like Coulthard does in their new advert!

Reactions: pburv
Nope, last claim was when I was 19, I'm now in my 40's.

Gutted that I'll never get that 200 mile back :( Finished off funnily enough around your neck of the woods!
What did you think of 'My Patch' ?....lol

You should of drove like Coulthard does in their new advert!

Would be a good one explaining that to your insurance company....lol
'' Lead by example'' maybe....:haha:

@pburv That's just standard coming home from work driving... lol

Reactions: pburv
Just had my renewal with AXA, considering insurance hikes over the past 12 months I was pleased to see £301 :) only +£29 from last year.

If "average" in their app is not 50% then they need to reevaluate their actuarial tables.

I think someone needs to go back to statistics school. You seem to be confusing average with median...

Just had my renewal through from Aviva for my S3 saloon - £254 with protected no claims and business use included which is cheaper than the best quotes on comparison sites so happy with that.
One of the very few times that its good to be old!

Reactions: Jamie_88 and Tom.H
Just had my renewal through from Aviva for my S3 saloon - £254 with protected no claims and business use included which is cheaper than the best quotes on comparison sites so happy with that.
One of the very few times that its good to be old!
Strange how they can jump so much, a couple of year back they were the cheapest for me, now they are one of the most expensive. The only change is I'm older!

What do you class as old btw? :)

Strange how they can jump so much, a couple of year back they were the cheapest for me, now they are one of the most expensive. The only change is I'm older!

What do you class as old btw? :)

I'm 55 and lucky enough to live in a fairly insurance friendly postcode area. I shop around at every renewal to find the best quote (not necessarily the cheapest) and only went to Aviva last March but that was for my Focus ST however I only had to pay an additional £5 for the remaining 4+ months of the policy when I changed to the S3 in October.

I believe the tax on insurance policies is increasing again later in the year so I'm sure there will be more price hikes to come.

Reactions: S32B
I'm 55 and lucky enough to live in a fairly insurance friendly postcode area. I shop around at every renewal to find the best quote (not necessarily the cheapest) and only went to Aviva last March but that was for my Focus ST however I only had to pay an additional £5 for the remaining 4+ months of the policy when I changed to the S3 in October.

I believe the tax on insurance policies is increasing again later in the year so I'm sure there will be more price hikes to come.
Ahh I'm a young man then at 45 :p ;)

Reactions: BigBill
Ahh I'm a young man then at 45 :p ;)

And I'm even younger at 30 :smiley:

I got told it'd be an additional £22 to change to the S3 for the remainder of my policy, runs out in May - that's with Direct Line, going by a few quotes I've got it's going to be around £560.

Reactions: S32B
I was once qouted £17,543 for 2grand fiesta ! ...........Aviva are fecking ****!

Reactions: pburv, richinsoton and Tom.H
lol got it cheaper than last year in the end! Had the official renewal price of £334 today. Just called them up and said I'd had a new online quote of £301. He said that the £301 quote didn't include the upgraded courtesy car. So I asked how much is that, he replied £59.99 :blink: I said take that off the renewal price and I'll live with the standard courtesy car (hopefully never needed) and it came down to £274 :)

Reactions: BigBill and pburv
£225 with Aviva this year for me. Couldn't beat it.

Reactions: BigBill
£225 with Aviva this year for me. Couldn't beat it.

I tried Aviva, think they were pulling my plonker - £1072! I'm 30, been driving 13 years this year and have the same amount of no claims.