Avant rear window washer is..... errrr?? where?

750FLYER

Reaction score
The wash jet appears to not be working since I bought the car... I figured a blocked jet and just hadn't got around to looking at it. I looked today and there's... err... not one!

If I push the window wash lever on the steering column, the wiper moves.. it makes a whirring noise... but on inspection of the rear of the car there is just a wiper arm.. no jet, not off set to squirt onto the window, not built into the wiper arm.... nothing!

Is this normal? Have I got a model that does not include this (basic) function.. surely not!

Am I missing something....?

Any ideas???

:wtf:

the wiper arm should have two small jets built-into the wiper arm at the base where the arm attaches to the wiper motor shaft.
The water is pumped throught the actual wiper motor shaft , so if you have the correct wiper motor there willbe a water pipe connection on the motor body, and, the wiper will have nozzles in it, if either are missing you do have a problem .
More of a worry is this, if you have both the correct parts with no water coming out, but, can hear pump noise, the water must be going somewhere and you'll need to find out before it leads to other bigger issues.
rob

That lost water is my main concern Rob, cheers.

I looked on google images and saw other peoples pics so I know what the 2 jets look like and they are not even present. I wonder if a previous owner has just stuck a basic wiper arm on that does not have the jets??

Thanks for the info about the water pumping up the actual shaft (rather than a rubber hose which I was also looking for) that is a useful hint.. I guess I need to stop using it for now and get the trim off the bootlid and take a good look around.. might have to buy the whole thing.

So you are saying that it is not powered by the motor in the reservoir in the front??

The actual wiper arm doesn't have the nozzles on it, the nozzles a separate piece that just clips on the end of the shaft after you've bolted the arm on.

This, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-A...ts=Car+Make:Audi|Model:A4&hash=item541643b072

The pump for the rear is bolted on the side of the reservoir in the front.

When mine stopped working I disconnected the water pipe and attached an air line and blew it through, once all the horrible black crud was blown out it worked perfectly.

That lost water is my main concern Rob, cheers.

I looked on google images and saw other peoples pics so I know what the 2 jets look like and they are not even present. I wonder if a previous owner has just stuck a basic wiper arm on that does not have the jets??

Thanks for the info about the water pumping up the actual shaft (rather than a rubber hose which I was also looking for) that is a useful hint.. I guess I need to stop using it for now and get the trim off the bootlid and take a good look around.. might have to buy the whole thing.

So you are saying that it is not powered by the motor in the reservoir in the front??

small rubber hose winds it's way from the front of the car (resv/pump) to the rear wiper motor connection, water then carries on through motor shaft itself onto window via the jets, the possabilities for leaking /blockage can from front to back are numerous.
whip of the rear trim first to see what the format is with your motor connection etc, then work from there.

Cheers Ajax/Rob

I've added that to my watch list. so it seems my wiper arm might be wrong cos doesn't look like that thing will push-fit over anything on mine.. I'll have a better look asap tho

If you want some help.... ask a biker it seems!! :thumbs up:

I just had the rear wiper motor assembly replaced at 34k miles under warranty even though the car is a 2006 , water was issing out of the motor casing and soaking the spare wheel well, looks like it had been for a long time to, leaking motors etc do seem to be a common problem, and a lot of owners just dont use them or disconnect them.

The nozzle attaches to the end of the shaft on top of the nut that holds the wiper arm on. You'll see its hollow if it's not give it a poke with a thin needle etc, that might be your problem.

Cheers,

Starting to make more sense now.. Think I have the wrong end cap. The nozzle is there and was blocked so I cleared that with a small nail.... Left the cap flipped up and pushed the squirt button....... No squirt still....

Next problem... A pool of the wash liquid formed under the n/s front arch behind the front wheel... I read somewhere there's a link in the pipe there so that seems to be my issue.... But its cold and dark out there now so I'll leave that for now, soooo...

Sort the leak out.. Get a new nozzle.. And a new end cap with holes (cheers for that link MIkeB) and I reckon she'll be right.

Ta!

Use Coppaslip on the new arm, or the original if you're able to reuse it! To prevent the metal insert corroding onto the spindle. There are numerous threads on the joys of removing an arm - you might get lucky - then again, you'll probably find it is a royal pain to remove. If you end up using a puller, don't let it bear directly on the tube itself as you'll flatten / damage it. My strategy is to loosen the nut to the point where it's flush with the tube and put a bit of metal over it - then apply the puller such that it bears on the plate.