Avant rear tailgate lights!

Pee Jam

A6 Avant LeMans 3.0L Seat Alhambra xcellence
Reaction score
Avant rear tailgate lights, what a pita to swap out.

Those plastic brackets, the smaller one goes on ok, but the larger one is a right fiddle! Having an electric tailgate kinda helped as I could get to hold position halfway to allow access above and below, but if it was a manual tailgate that wanted to keep opening fully I think I would have lost it with it and spat my dummy out, lol.

Anyways, one done and one to go once it arrives from Germany as the OS ones where not in stock from any othe UK suppliers I tried.

I assume you're talking about the inner rear lights?

I had trouble getting it back in too, in fact when I was trying to restore them with by sanding etc I decided it was easier to leave them in the car and just mask off the area around them.

After sanding with progressively finer sanding paper and then polishing they look a lot better, but then I tried applying a ceramic coating to protect them from UV light, but as it started to rain almost immediately after applying that's probably not worked!

I'm waiting for a spell of better weather before I try the ceramic coating again, and I know they will always have the tiny cracks visible when the lights are on, I just can't justify the expense of new lights.

Reactions: Pee Jam
The new LED units I brought were about £80 each with postage, which I thought was pretty good.

That's not too bad actually.

I just have some other work that needs doing which is more important.

But if I can't get the lights looking good enough then maybe I'll have to buy some.

Reactions: Pee Jam