Avant Question

Frascano

V6 Life
Reaction score
Hello All,

Currently running a B5 Saloon 1.9tdi, great run around.

Looking at going for a B6 Avant 2.5 V6 180 Quattro (Sport) 03-05 Plate,

My brother has this car but its not a sport still the 180 model,

What are the main differences between the Sport and SE?

Do the Sports have a MPG reader aswell as them having the miles left info, I know sports have wider kits to them, spoiler, leather etc. Just what else

As for mods, I was thinking Remap,Exhaust and Intercooler?
Cheers Ash

Only real difference is lower suspension, sport front & rear bumper & door blades.

Leather isn't part of the spec, mine is just cloth. The DIS will depend on what's been spec'd at build.

Frank

If the car has a DIS that shows the range, then it should also show MPG instant and average.
One point to mention is to be careful with 2.5 TDi's of this age now, a common issue is cam wear caused by improper servicing.
This can lead to the requirement of new cams, rockers, lifters.etc which can be costly.
A quick check would be to remove the oil filler cap and shine a torch - you can see one of the cam lobes this way, if it looks lipped then it is probably a good indication there is some wear going on.

Thank for replies, how do you get the DIS to show mpg then?

I've done my homework wasn't it 53/04/54 2.5s they changed the heads?

Not all these cars have the full DIS. If your wiper stalk doesn't have buttons on the end, and underneath, the car doesn't have full DIS. As mentioned, you can upgrade by getting the approp stalk and having it coded. If you're buying off eBay or the likes, make sure you get the correct one for the car. (Avant / saloon are different because of the rear wiper function.)

Probably this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-A...p-Wiper-Stalk-for-Fuel-Computer-/370534335021 - at least that would be the one for me, according to the compatibility checker thingie, were I to need one - which I don't as I already have it!. (But don't buy it and then blame me if it's wrong :) )

Anyway - that's the sort of thing you're looking for - note the toggle button on the end. Although it's not clear in the picture, there's a reset button underneath. It seems to be common across several VAG cars, so hunting in your breakers should find something at less than the price on that eBay ad.

Visually, this one is actually what I've got - note it's got fewer symbols on it than the one ref'd above - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-W...e55523&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=10&sd=330732354594

As noted earlier, it's apparently not "plug n play" - you'll have to have it coded to the car - I believe that's easy, but no idea what's involved.

Probably this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-A...p-Wiper-Stalk-for-Fuel-Computer-/370534335021 - at least that would be the one for me, according to the compatibility checker thingie, were I to need one - which I don't as I already have it!. (But don't buy it and then blame me if it's wrong :) )

Anyway - that's the sort of thing you're looking for - note the toggle button on the end. Although it's not clear in the picture, there's a reset button underneath. It seems to be common across several VAG cars, so hunting in your breakers should find something at less than the price on that eBay ad.

Visually, this one is actually what I've got - note it's got fewer symbols on it than the one ref'd above - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-Wiper-Control-Stalk-8E0953503/191594126856?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140107083358&meid=0f5beac25ad94a9091c8619c67e55523&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=10&sd=330732354594

As noted earlier, it's apparently not "plug n play" - you'll have to have it coded to the car - I believe that's easy, but no idea what's involved.

That's a massive help! Do you own a 2.5?

I have VAG COM so I should be able to program it in :)

One point to mention is to be careful with 2.5 TDi's of this age now, a common issue is cam wear caused by improper servicing.
This can lead to the requirement of new cams, rockers, lifters.etc which can be costly.
A quick check would be to remove the oil filler cap and shine a torch - you can see one of the cam lobes this way, if it looks lipped then it is probably a good indication there is some wear going on.

That's what I thought and mine were fine! Until Chris Adams took the rockers off and they were shot except the ones that were visible under the filler cap... He's yer man to replace it all. Top job and a shed load cheapeer than elsewhere.

That's what I thought and mine were fine! Until Chris Adams took the rockers off and they were shot except the ones that were visible under the filler cap... He's yer man to replace it all. Top job and a shed load cheapeer than elsewhere.
Yep, he's the man.