Avant dog guard

ChrisS1

Reaction score
Hi all,

My A4 Avant is now in the country and I hope to have it in May (if the boss will let me have it early!)

I have looked on the Audi website and can't seem to find a dog guard (to fit behind rear seat head-rests). I have also looked online and can only find dog guards for the B8 and previous models. Is there something already in the B9 Avant that pulls up from the luggage cover?

Any advice appreciated! Thanks.

Mine has a net partition that pulls up from behind the rear seats and slots into the roof. Not sure how suitable it would be as a long term dog guard.

I believe it was standard fit on mine when new (I'm second owner)

Mine has a net partition that pulls up from behind the rear seats and slots into the roof. Not sure how suitable it would be as a long term dog guard.

I believe it was standard fit on mine when new (I'm second owner)

I have a S-Line on the way too, so guessing mine will also have this.

It isn't so much to keep the dog out in normal circumstances (as she is very well behaved), but as we have a baby on the way, I don't like the thought of a dog flying into the passenger compartment in the unfortunate event of an accident.

Not sure if the net partition would do the trick?!

Thanks for the info.

yeah, there's a pull up luggage net that could offer some protection as standard. Probably best to get the car, take a look as assess if it'll do the job before spending bucks on a proper dog guard.
I would say in the event of a complete car roll over, the standard net would offer little protection as it could be undone, but any standard incidents I think it maybe sufficent.

Oh, don't forget a boot liner too! Hatchbag done one for me, I only wished I'd asked them to put a pocket on both the left and right of the boot, mine has just the custom pocket on the right.

yeah, there's a pull up luggage net that could offer some protection as standard. Probably best to get the car, take a look as assess if it'll do the job before spending bucks on a proper dog guard.
I would say in the event of a complete car roll over, the standard net would offer little protection as it could be undone, but any standard incidents I think it maybe sufficent.

Oh, don't forget a boot liner too! Hatchbag done one for me, I only wished I'd asked them to put a pocket on both the left and right of the boot, mine has just the custom pocket on the right.

Thanks for the info. I've asked the dealership if a dog guard is available, but I don't think there is so looks like the pull up net will have to do!

Good call on the boot liner, will look into that!

Reactions: TripleD
Google for Travall products. They list a dog guard for the B9, but when I last checked it hadn't yet been released. May be worth emailing them. They make quality products. I opted for a TransK9 dog crate for my cocker spaniel in my B9. Superb quality, although not cheap. I have the B23ss (single space saver design), although it takes up 60% of the boot so it's not ideal, too big for my breed of dog but they don't make a narrower one which will fit in the B9. They make narrower ones but they are too high for an estate as they are designed for SUVs like the Q5 etc. I have a 6 month old child and it is a struggle fitting in our pushchair (iCandy Peach) next to the crate. It is a real problem, so much so that I am looking into selling my TransK9 crate (even though I LOVE it) and hopefully sourcing a bespoke custom-made dog crate. I have found a company (Dog Transport Cages, based in Stroud) who make custom sized crates which look very similar in quality to TransK9, but they are currently moving factory location so aren't currently accepting orders.
Hope that helps..... if you want just a dog guard then look at Travall. But you can't beat a crate for dog and human passenger safety.

p.s. I also have a Hatchbag boot liner, and I would highly recommend one! Great for dirty pushchair wheels and muddy dogs. I went for the optional bumper protection flap which is essential if your dog jumps in and out. Also went for the split seat option so I can still split fold the rear seats.
Oh and to protect your seats from the baby car seat / ISOFIX base, I can recommend a Diono Ultra Mat seat protector!

Google for Travall products. They list a dog guard for the B9, but when I last checked it hadn't yet been released. May be worth emailing them. They make quality products. I opted for a TransK9 dog crate for my cocker spaniel in my B9. Superb quality, although not cheap. I have the B23ss (single space saver design), although it takes up 60% of the boot so it's not ideal, too big for my breed of dog but they don't make a narrower one which will fit in the B9. They make narrower ones but they are too high for an estate as they are designed for SUVs like the Q5 etc. I have a 6 month old child and it is a struggle fitting in our pushchair (iCandy Peach) next to the crate. It is a real problem, so much so that I am looking into selling my TransK9 crate (even though I LOVE it) and hopefully sourcing a bespoke custom-made dog crate. I have found a company (Dog Transport Cages, based in Stroud) who make custom sized crates which look very similar in quality to TransK9, but they are currently moving factory location so aren't currently accepting orders.
Hope that helps..... if you want just a dog guard then look at Travall. But you can't beat a crate for dog and human passenger safety.

Thanks for the info. I hear what you're saying about a crate, unfortunately though I use my car for work and it would mean constantly removing the crate and replacing it, so it wouldn't really work. I will look into the Travall dog guard.

I've just had a price from the Audi dealership...... £171.29 +VAT........ sounds excessive!

p.s. I also have a Hatchbag boot liner, and I would highly recommend one! Great for dirty pushchair wheels and muddy dogs. I went for the optional bumper protection flap which is essential if your dog jumps in and out. Also went for the split seat option so I can still split fold the rear seats.
Oh and to protect your seats from the baby car seat / ISOFIX base, I can recommend a Diono Ultra Mat seat protector!

Think I will order a liner. Are the rear seats 60/40 split as standard? Might wait til I get the car to be sure.

Re the dog jumping in and out, I've asked Audi for a price for a rear bumper protector.... £47.16 +VAT.....

I have a 6 month old child and it is a struggle fitting in our pushchair (iCandy Peach) next to the crate.

Interesting to know as the iCandy Peach is what we're going for too. Out of interest (and off topic I know), what do you think of it?

I wonder what percentage of A4 Avant owners with new babies buy iCandy Peachs? We bought one as well.

Was slightly put off by the price but everything else I looked at afterwards seemed flimsy by comparison. Was concerned about the weight for my wife when lifting it into the car (she's quite petit) but it's been fine. Really easy to push once assembled (again easy) and copes well enough on rough tracks with the front wheels looked. Also fits in the back of the A1 with one wheel off.... just. We went for the carry cot as well which we've been using in place of a mosses basket down stairs, just bought a rocking mosses basket stand for it to sit on.

Reactions: ChrisS1
Think I will order a liner. Are the rear seats 60/40 split as standard? Might wait til I get the car to be sure.

Re the dog jumping in and out, I've asked Audi for a price for a rear bumper protector.... £47.16 +VAT.....

seats are 40/20/40 split, the tabs in the boot allow for a standard 60/40 split but if you pull down the armrest there is a catch at the top of the recess that allows the middle section to fold separately

seats are 40/20/40 split, the tabs in the boot allow for a standard 60/40 split but if you pull down the armrest there is a catch at the top of the recess that allows the middle section to fold separately

Is that standard, or is that the optional storage pack (with 'load through' provision)?

pretty sure its standard, I dont have the optional storage pack. I assume the load through option adds a ski hatch in the arm rest section to give flexibility to carry long stuff with the seats still up.

I called Travall and their dog guard for the B9 will be available in the next couple of weeks, priced at £120 inc VAT, quite a saving on the £171 +VAT for the Audi one.

Another B9 owner with an iCandy peach!

We've since moved to an umbrella fold Silver cross buggy and frustratingly, it only fits in the boot diagonally, which doesn't save a lot of room in the end. Will be interesting getting suitcases and buggy to the airport in September!

The net partition is standard in the Sport as well fyi.

Interesting to know as the iCandy Peach is what we're going for too. Out of interest (and off topic I know), what do you think of it?

We're happy with our iCandy Peach! We have the all black colour with chrome chassis. I love the bright colours available but we settled on black as we thought it would hide any dirt better.
It feels very well made and is super easy to adjust the height/length of the handle whilst it is assembled / up, which is great for when I take over the buggy from my wife and vice versa as we are different heights. The chassis is a little heavy to lift but the shoulder strap is great to assist. It folds and unfolds very quickly which is handy when doing it in the rain! We'd definitely buy another one if we had to, which says it all really. We also bought the carrycot which baby was in for the first 6 months, additional cost but essential I think!
Part of me regrets paying towards £1000 for the whole package (can be found cheaper) but we decided we wanted brand new when it came to the buggy and car seat (Maxi Cosi Pebble Plus with the 2-way Family Fix ISOFIX base) but buying the 2-way Pearl tomorrow as our son is now too big for the Pebble (he is 6.5 months old now). I only regret paying £1000 ish as we found a used Peach on Gumtree in fantastic condition for £150!!! So we bought it to leave at my mother-in-laws for when we visit so that we don't have to transport ours.
We also have a second-hand Phil & Teds Dot which we use for muddy dog walks and anything off-road, as the Peach is designed for tarmac. It's great. Also considered the Out n About Nipper for off-road which gets excellent reviews.

Anyway..... glad the Travall seems like a good option for you possibly! They also do a boot divider which attaches to the dog guard vertically to split the boot into two. Could be useful to separate your dog and the buggy / weekly shop