Avant detachable two bar - how to fit it

Klickflip

Quattro 4 life
Reaction score
Hi,

I have the detachable tow bar I got with car (assuming it’s the right oem one)
Now can anyone give me help to how it fits on?
Maybe it’s not been use in a while and all seized up ..
The knurled dial doesn’t turn but the lock inset does with w screwdriver. Nothing visibly moves on tow bar.
Also under the car is pretty rusty , electrics doesn’t seem to swing down, which I though they should.
any help would be great .
4176AFF8 2852 4E5C AD5A 74236BF3F206
639D3DB6 56C1 44FA 8880 E81B346B47D3

Start by pulling muffin shaped section down. This is the electrical connection to your trailer/caravan/bike rack.

Then you should see a socket within which you push the shorter section of the tow bar. You might need to give it a bit of force.

There is one step with the key that you need to do, prior to the above, i think, but i can't remember it now (and not near my car to check). I'm sure someone on here with more towing experience can chime in.

Start by pulling muffin shaped section down. This is the electrical connection to your trailer/caravan/bike rack.

Then you should see a socket within which you push the shorter section of the tow bar. You might need to give it a bit of force.

There is one step with the key that you need to do, prior to the above, i think, but i can't remember it now (and not near my car to check). I'm sure someone on here with more towing experience can chime in.

thanks, yeah I’m working on the electrical arm to loosen it off with wd40 and force! Thin it’s just all rusted up .
And I’ve got the mechanism on the tow bar working now too, that needed lubed and worked as was stuck .

does the electrical arm need to be down position for the tow bar to be able to ‘click’ in properly ?
as at the mo , with the electrical arm up I can’t figure out how the tow bar ‘clicks’ into the slot

I don't believe fitment of the tow bar is contingent on the elec connection being deployed, but it's probably in the way of fitting. Plus you can't tow anything without the connection (or at least you most certainly wouldn't want to!).

Mine needed some 'encouragement' to get it up there.

Holy rust balls that is rusty!

You the electric plug is held on with a 10mm bolt, take it out and you can replace.

To be honest, the state of the area where the tow bar goes in I would be replacing it! It is supposed to have a protective cap on it!

Unfortunately your tow bar is knackered. Normally there is a protective cap that goes over the under bumper mating part to your tow ball. It looks like its been off for so long that corrosion has now made any attempt to tow quite dangerous. Sorry

Unfortunately your tow bar is knackered. Normally there is a protective cap that goes over the under bumper mating part to your tow ball. It looks like its been off for so long that corrosion has now made any attempt to tow quite dangerous. Sorry

I have a rubber cap for the elec connection...is that what you're referring to?

Looking at the PF Jones website you may have a GDW towbar (Belgian brand). Looking at all the other brands apart from Westfalia none of them have a protective cap to fit in place when the tow ball is removed so apologies on that. Just that every detachable i've ever fitted has a cover for the mating part on the car to prevent whats happened to the OP's one. I'd suggest speaking to PF Jones and seeing if replacement parts are available.
Regarding the knurled knob you may have to pull it out first before it turns

Your bracket is a real mess.
The best advice I can give is to remove it and fit a Westfalia one.
Keep it well lubed, and keep the red blanking cap in place when not being used

These guys sorted my out a new key for £14 and sent operating instructions. Very helpful and fast service. There are four number on the key barrel that your need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk