Availability of TDI quattro 184ps

With the confirmation coming from Germany that the 184ps 8V Quattro will be S-tronic only, (it is now on the audi.de configurator...) I too am now contemplating ordering the 150ps Quattro manual, and getting it chipped.

Incidentally does anyone 'in the know' have any info on whether the 150/184 engines are the same, but with different maps or whether they are properly different engines?..

Incidentally does anyone 'in the know' have any info on whether the 150/184 engines are the same, but with different maps or whether they are properly different engines?..

Looking at the parts catalogue both engines use many of the same parts but there are different part numbers for the camshaft, exhaust gas turbo charger and engine control unit.

My current 2012 2.0TDI is a 170 and before that I had a 2.0TDI-140 which I had remapped to around 170-175. Both were common-rail engines. The factory 170 is so much smoother to drive and needs less gear changes than the remapped 140 and also only costs me around £10 a year more on insurance.

Thanks h5djr for the engine info. Incidentally I notice elsewhere on the forum that there is already a remap 'box' available for the 8V 150 which takes power/torques to 185/390 for under £500 when Audi are asking about £2k extra for the 184 over the 150. It's supposed to be a good too...

Thanks h5djr for the engine info. Incidentally I notice elsewhere on the forum that there is already a remap 'box' available for the 8V 150 which takes power/torques to 185/390 for under £500 when Audi are asking about £2k extra for the 184 over the 150. It's supposed to be a good too...

The UK price for the 184 has not been released yet. You cannot really compare the German price because Audi may well add other options to the 184 which are already standard in the UK. Also remember to check with your insurance company how much extra they will charge for a 'modified' car. Some charge a high premium or will refuse to insure the car.

Personally I would wait until Audi UK include the 184 in the normal price list before making any decision.

My dealer thought that the 184 would be an extra 1500-1700 on top of the 150, based on previous cars / the german price etc

When I purchased my current 2.0 TDI-170 in March 2012 it cost £950 more than the same model with the 140 engine.

OK, popped into the dealer to drive the Golf GTD on Saturday, and he said that they had just received a bulletin that the A3 184, quattro (with s-tronic only), and black edition are now available. It has just appeared on the UK configurator too.

So, what to do..? GTD (specced to £32k - order not gone through yet), or 184 quattro with s-tronic?
Had DSG on a Passat 170, and although fun at first, just got lazy and left in auto and really did miss the control of a manual - even if sticking it in sport and mashing the accelerator always used to give me a grin away from the lights.. The price and emissions of the quattro s-tronic are high - costing about £30 / month more in tax than a max specced out golf, without half of the features - but it's an Audi, with 4wd...! Or I could go half measures, and get the 2wd A3 with 184, for only about £5/month more then the Golf (again with a lot less tech - things like ACC, folding mirrors, load through etc that are standard on the golf, but £££ on the A3) - although all things I can do with out.

Thoughts please...?

OK, popped into the dealer to drive the Golf GTD on Saturday, and he said that they had just received a bulletin that the A3 184, quattro (with s-tronic only), and black edition are now available. It has just appeared on the UK configurator too.

So, what to do..? GTD (specced to £32k - order not gone through yet), or 184 quattro with s-tronic?
Had DSG on a Passat 170, and although fun at first, just got lazy and left in auto and really did miss the control of a manual - even if sticking it in sport and mashing the accelerator always used to give me a grin away from the lights.. The price and emissions of the quattro s-tronic are high - costing about £30 / month more in tax than a max specced out golf, without half of the features - but it's an Audi, with 4wd...! Or I could go half measures, and get the 2wd A3 with 184, for only about £5/month more then the Golf (again with a lot less tech - things like ACC, folding mirrors, load through etc that are standard on the golf, but £££ on the A3) - although all things I can do with out.

Thoughts please...?

My current Sportback is the 8P 170hp equivalent of the new 184. Mine is s-tronic but the only time I ever use D or S is in a traffic jam. The rest of the time I drive it the same as I would a manual but changing gear using the centre lever or paddles but without the need to keep pressing the clutch pedal. I find this gives me the best of both worlds and makes the car great fun to drive. As my purchase was a private buy for cash the extra cost per month in tax does not come into it as far as I'm concerned but I will never buy another car without the s-tronic.

I personally find my current SE trim with 17" alloys and 225/45 tyres provides me with the type of ride and handling I am looking for, especially on long journeys, and it is probably what my next A3 will be. I have looked at the new Golf and whilst I like it, I think I will still prefer the Audi. At the moment it seems that Audi UK will not be making a 184 version available in SE trim so I will probably go for the 150 and enjoy the better fuel consumption.

The one thing I enjoy having on my A3 which is not available on the Golf is the electric seat operation with cloth seats.

Yikes! Just configured my spec with the 184/Quattro... 33.5k!!! That's 4k more than the equivalent spec in the 8P I had new 2 years ago! How's that right?!.. If only I didn't need 4 wheel drive... STILL no sign of the 150ps Quattro manual that is rumoured to be coming... That'll have to be the one for me (with a tuning box at £500 instead of the 2k premium for 34ps and S-tronic -which I don't want). If I didn't need the 4 wheel drive - GTD - no brainer...

Is there a quattro manual rumoured? I don't think so...

Is there a quattro manual rumoured? I don't think so...
The 150 Quattro manual already exists and is available in Germany. I have it on fairly good authority that the U.K. market mirrors the German re. mechanical specs (but not necessarily trims) and therefore we will very likely get this model... But like the rest of the 8V 'launch', it's more of a drip feed, and a very frustrating one at that... There will however NOT be a manual 184 Quattro...

Ah OK. Got my head in the wrong place then! Glad I went for the 150ps in teh end tbh, don't think an extra 30bhp is worth the premium (or extra insurance cost).

I quite agree - the extra cost of the 184 over the 150 doesn't seem justified to me, especially when a chipped 150 costs only £500 more and has even more power/torque than the 184... I JUST WANT TO ORDER ONE!!!!!!

Ah OK. Got my head in the wrong place then! Glad I went for the 150ps in teh end tbh, don't think an extra 30bhp is worth the premium (or extra insurance cost).

When last changed my Sportback I went from a 140 to a 170 and my insurance company only wanted another £10 a year. I think if had bought a 140 and had it chipped it would have a lot more in insurance than the difference in the price. Having said that I think when I next change I will go for a 150 for the better fuel consumption. I don't really need 184!!

You get much more standard kit in the GTD than you do in the A3.

Nah, from what I've seen the new 150 is pretty equivalent to the old 170 anyway. I don't think I need 184PS either - 150 is fine really.

Yikes! Just configured my spec with the 184/Quattro... 33.5k!!! That's 4k more than the equivalent spec in the 8P I had new 2 years ago! How's that right?!.. If only I didn't need 4 wheel drive... STILL no sign of the 150ps Quattro manual that is rumoured to be coming... That'll have to be the one for me (with a tuning box at £500 instead of the 2k premium for 34ps and S-tronic -which I don't want). If I didn't need the 4 wheel drive - GTD - no brainer...

Sounds about right. My 8V is specced pretty much exactly the same as my last 8P was but the list price is £4k more. Bizarrely the monthly lease cost is lower, as is my tax burden :)

Hi, just changed my order of a A3 sportback sline 150hp to a 184hp, build date is wk 42 (mid October) no mention of Quattro yet.

What build week did you have before you changed?

Hi, wk45 so jumped forward a bit. A3 sportback 2.0tdi 184ps, missano red, privacy, spoke wheels, hill hold, leather, led lights(just available to order), heated seats, rear parking sensor, high beam assist, folding mirrors, rain/light sensor, audi sound system, advanced key......can't wait

If only I didn't need 4 wheel drive... If I didn't need the 4 wheel drive - GTD - no brainer...

Why do you 'need' 4 wheel drive?

My brother-in-law told me that I needed 4WD due to snow and ice, and our road not being gritted during the winter. He has 4WD and so has his wife.

I asked him to tell me precisely what use 4WD is when braking on snow and ice? He changed the subject.

People who buy 4WD for winter driving are mistaking traction and grip. 4WD traction will get you going, but will the tyres have the grip to get the car stopped?

My wife and I both have spare sets of winter tyres for our 2WD cars. Didn't even get stuck when the roads were sheet ice!

However, I am seriously considering 4WD on my next car. My GTD can understeer quite badly in the wet. Though I have changed the tyres which will hopefully give the front wheels better traction powering out of rain soaked corners.

Last edited:
Yeh, come across far too many people who think they 'need' 4WD because they 'live in the country' (read: a slightly bumpier than normal road)

Best cars in snow and ice are narrow wheels, front wheel drive, not to heavy , not too much power is easier, so unless you have a proper 4 wheel drive (land rover etc.) normally the worst the car the rest of the time, the better it drives in snow!
I have gone past many Chelsea tractors stuck on hills in a vw caddy van in the past, because they can't drive properly in snow.
Drivers that take there time and know how to find the bitting point when accelerating, turning and braking and carrying momentum up hills. (I.e. BMW rear wheel drives, fat tyres, are next to useless).

My dad has a Land Rover Discovery. He told me that is is terrible in the snow and ice. That is because he puts on the cheapest tyres he can get.

My mum has a Merc. It sits in the drive if there is a forecast of snow or ice. The first and only time it was in the snow, I had to push it up the gently sloping drive.

Last edited:
Why do you 'need' 4 wheel drive?

My brother-in-law told me that I needed 4WD due to snow and ice, and our road not being gritted during the winter. He has 4WD and so has his wife.

I asked him to tell me precisely what use 4WD is when braking on snow and ice? He changed the subject.

People who buy 4WD for winter driving are mistaking traction and grip. 4WD traction will get you going, but will the tyres have the grip to get the car stopped?

My wife and I both have spare sets of winter tyres for our 2WD cars. Didn't even get stuck when the roads were sheet ice!

However, I am seriously considering 4WD on my next car. My GTD can understeer quite badly in the wet. Though I have changed the tyres which will hopefully give the front wheels better traction powering out of rain soaked corners.

I'm a Paramedic and my shifts start at 6:30 nights and mornings and yes, I live in the country (rural Wales...) but with very steep hills all around. Obviously I HAVE to be able to get to work in all weathers. I have had powerful cars in both 2 and 4 wheel drive, with and without winter tyres, and for me, 4 wheel drive is much better, safer and actually more fun!