1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Auxiliary Cabin Heater

AudiA3JJ Jan 11, 2015

1. AudiA3JJ

AudiA3JJ Registered User

So I found out today via vcds my 56 diesel is fitted with an auxiliary heater, albeit had fault codes. So naturally I wanted to find out more about it and if I could get it working.
    The Haynes manual provided me some info on its fuses and location, which is inside the dash behind the ac control unit and can accessed by removing glovebox and center console. I haven't found any info that tells me what conditions by when it starts to operate in the A3, I did find some info on golfs and i wanted to know if the following also applies to the A3's:

"MK5 Golf and Jetta Diesel's have them. they are called a PET heater and it's bascially a 1KW heater positioned just upstream of the heater matrix. It only works under certain circumstances though.

The heat setting has to be at least 90% of maximum, and re-circulation and ECON must be OFF. Here's a excerpt from a PDF file I have that is the MK5 self study program:

An electrical auxiliary air heater is installed in diesel vehicles. The electrical auxiliary air heater is a combination of a PTC heater element with an integrated control unit. It is installed downstream of the heat exchanger and provides additional heating of the vehicle interior after cold-starting the egine. The electrical auxiliary air heater directly heats the air which enters the vehicle interior. It acquires all information needed for operation via the convenience CAN data bus.

Activation conditions:
    The electrical auxiliary air heater is activated:

- in the case of the 2C-Climatronic and Climatic: automatically via the CAN data bus; in the case of the heating system: if the occupants set the heating output to over 90% at the operating unit (analog signal),- if the water temperature is below 75°C,
    - if the engine speed is higher than 500 rpm,
    - if no load management system is active and
    - if the ECON button is not pressed."

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. AudiA3JJ

AudiA3JJ Registered User

Any one got this heater thing working in there car? Is it worthwhile having as I'm Wondering weather to fix mine or not bother.

Also found a golf retro fit if anyone interested in doing this to there a3 for cold mornings (if its worth it)..

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113468

4. Ash187

Ash187 Registered User Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

IIRC the auxiliary heater helps the heater system blow up warm air before the engine actually gets warm. i noticed a fault come up on mine recently but have not got around to have a look into it.

5. AudiA3JJ

AudiA3JJ Registered User

I've been doing more research and the fault mostly comes down to poor circuit board continuity. The fix is to re-solder the resistors and other connections highlighted here in yellow. To do that the circuit board needs to be removed by the four screws circled in red;
    [​IMG]
    Its worth checking the 100a fuse in the engine compartment first:
    [​IMG]

It would be nice to have this working during these cold mornings, although I'd like a warm day to do the job on lol!

6. Ash187

Cold mornings? Heated seats!
    Warm place to work - my unit!

Il have a look when I get a chance

7. Sayam

Sayam Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

does this explain why the A3 pumps out warm air so much quicker than my corolla diesel use to? I would be parking up at Uni (12/13mile motorway drive) and only then would it warm up - right when I was going to leave!

heated seats are the way forward lol

8. enc

enc Registered User

Is there a seperate switch to activate this or is it just within the heater controls.
    How quickly does it start working ? I've noticed mine is mildly warm pretty quickly but no where near full heat until wngine is warmed up properly.
    Was it an option or standard on diesels ?

9. Rideen

Rideen Registered User

I have this error as well. Seems very common on 8P diesels.

10. jordann

jordann Registered User

As it's been so cold recently and I've been hammering the heaters I've noticed hot air almost instantly, unfortunately I couldn't tell you exactly what I push, bar the plus button a lot. I can go from a completely frozen solid windscreen to a drivable one within a few minutes from firing up.

11. Ash187

its something thats fitted and just works in the background... most people don't know about it until the fault comes up. no switches for it either

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. enc

enc Registered User

Ahh right. Thanks for the info.

14. AudiA3JJ

AudiA3JJ Registered User

15. tdi-man

tdi-man Registered User

any idea what the 80 amp fuse right of the red wire controls ?

when disconnected it stops my battery drain fault

IMG_4716.JPG

16. tdi-man

tdi-man Registered User

any body ?

17. SAiLO

SAiLO Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

It this fuse, right: 100 Amp fuse N 105 255 06 ?
    Who knows the best place to buy it?

18. ahtcap

ahtcap Registered User

19. tdi-man

tdi-man Registered User

no im trying to find out what the fuse controls

20. AudiA3JJ

AudiA3JJ Registered User

Did you find out?... Looks like your fuses are laid out differently to mine if you look up the thread at my picture

21. tdi-man

tdi-man Registered User

no its pulling my hair out trying to find fault.

22. AudiA3JJ

AudiA3JJ Registered User

What year is your car?

23. AudiA3JJ

AudiA3JJ Registered User

Have a look at this, Haynes wiring info:
    [​IMG]

tdi-man likes this.
  24. tdi-man

tdi-man Registered User

54 plate 2005

25. AudiA3JJ

AudiA3JJ Registered User

Most likely the 80a is supply power for fuses, so your drain could be something connected to your fuse board. Do you know it have you ever retro fitted anything, lights etc that could cause it? ...best have a look at fuse board in end of the dash, pop the cover off

26. tdi-man

tdi-man Registered User

removed interior light fuse and warning triangle goes out after 20 30 mins so might of found the fault

27. AudiA3JJ

AudiA3JJ Registered User

Sounds about right! Hopefully that's the cause and you can isolate where the fault is now, good luck

tdi-man likes this.