Auxiliary belt & pulleys

Owyn

Reaction score
Evening chaps,
I've got a 3.0 TDI that's getting on a bit and can't find anywhere about auxi belt replacement or which pulleys should be done. Does anyone have any clues for me?

Thanks in advance.

Just keep driving until it breaks, mine didn't until 160k miles, you can replace the pulleys which are worn by visual inspection and by feeling them.

I'm guessing that the OP is wanting to go down the boring predicable route and replace parts just before they fail!

Sometimes life gets in the way of you having an adventure while just driving down the road?

Edit:- I'm at that stage with my 2011 S4, soon be time to replace aux and charger belts, mileage only 24K miles though! (I must use it more often!)

Also, old pulleys get a bit noisy which is annoying when the window is down.
So is there an age/mileage it should be done?

Really to avoid problems, I'd always replace an auxiliary belt at roughly 6 years or 60K miles, but there again I like to avoid breakdowns.

As said if you find some pulleys/relay idlers/tensioner assemblies getting noisy and feeling rough, replace them at the same time.

My aux belt tensioner let go suddenly on Sunday evening whilst on the motorway. My S4 is a 2010 on 46k
38FD6C4E 3BF2 4B62 BF43 AD37F74D78FE

Had that plastic pulley seized up?

Think back, were you getting any clues as to someone being "not right"?

Any collateral damage?

Had that plastic pulley seized up?

Think back, were you getting any clues as to someone being "not right"?

Any collateral damage?

No there were no noises or signs of any issues. The plastic pulley is fine but the two halves pictures are supposed to e joined together by the spring in the middle (Its the dark coloured ring on the part on the right!) you can also see the housing has cracked.

Luckily the only other damaged was to the SC belt and the plastic SC Tensioner pulley, both of which were also then replaced.

I think I was very lucky as it could of been much worse.