AUX SOCKET !

shilts

Reaction score
Hi , excuse my ignorence but what can the Aux socket in the centre console be used for , thanks ?:think:

plug your ipod or anything with a headphone lead in :icon_thumright:

Thanks waqi , does this just give you charging capability or can you play through this ?

Thanks , why would you then want ipod connection in the glove box - i thought all had aux socket !

Hi there,
The ipod connection in the glove box will also charge your ipod & it also becomes a functioning part of the radio so you can forward, skip & repeat tracks etc with the radio controls rather than fiddling with you ipod whilst driving. Im not totally sure but i think the AUX socket will just play through the radio speakers. Hope this helps.:o.k:

also for audio buffs i belive theres less quality sound as its only 2ch mono over aux, though to most its unnoticable, its all down to preference really

"2-channel mono"

Er... that's as reasonable a definition of Stereo as I can come up with!

"less sound quality" as a result of being "only 2ch mono" is unadulterated balderdash.

I have the iPod -which charges, controls and sends signal and control data to and from the iPod. -I also have the aux input (currently temporarily mounted on an in-line 3.5mm socket, since I'm waiting for the real OEM part to be delivered) which allows me to squirt in an additional signal from an HD radio tuner. You could also use it for game audio from a playstation/sound from a portable DVD player/zune or other aftermarket mp3 player... anything that is external to the available audio sources to the car, which you'd like to hear through the speakers.

Keith

How did you do this??
Depends on the head unit.

For an RNS-E, you buy the (62-pin or 32-pin, I can't remember) connector and pins for the back of the head unit, and solder extension wires up to your socket.

Then you break out the VAG-COM and reprogram the RNS-E to add 'external aux input' to its list of inputs.

As for the Concert and Symphony variants, I've never done it, but I assume it's probably something similar.

Keith

"2-channel mono"

Er... that's as reasonable a definition of Stereo as I can come up with!

"less sound quality" as a result of being "only 2ch mono" is unadulterated balderdash.

I have the iPod -which charges, controls and sends signal and control data to and from the iPod. -I also have the aux input (currently temporarily mounted on an in-line 3.5mm socket, since I'm waiting for the real OEM part to be delivered) which allows me to squirt in an additional signal from an HD radio tuner. You could also use it for game audio from a playstation/sound from a portable DVD player/zune or other aftermarket mp3 player... anything that is external to the available audio sources to the car, which you'd like to hear through the speakers.

Keith

haha i suspected so i'm quite happy the way ive got my zune hd set now through a soundgate core for the video output <3 my zune