Autowatch Ghost - does it invalidate your warranty?

MarkOC

Reaction score
As the title asks,

I've got a Ghost system fitted and I took my car in for a service today and to have some issues looked at; the massage function on the seats goes a bit crazy sometimes, handbrake is a mystery as to when it activates, gearbox sometimes doesn't activate.

I told the technical about the ghost system as he had to take it for a spin to try to replicate the issues. He had never heard of anything like it despite being a mechanic god according to him. His opinion was that it was the ghost causing the issues and that it would invalidate the warranty.

Anybody heard anything about it invalidating the warranty?

No experience of the ghost system however I imagine it’s not going to take long for Audi to connect the dots (real or not) from a 3rd party electronic system and your eletrical faults. Unfortunately this would be precisely what would invalidate a warranty, have you tried contacting Autowatch or whoever fitted it?

Can’t offer any help to OP but I can stop someone else having to google what it is...

3rd party CANBUS immobiliser... who knew..:sly:

I've contacted the installer and advised him the problems I'm experiencing, and he replied that the ghost only communicates with the CANbus immobiliser, so the problems I'm experiencing shouldn't be connected.

Going to speak to autowatch next week.

Did they only start after the ghost instal? Is it possible he’s not reconnected and electrical plug correctly ?

As the title asks,

I've got a Ghost system fitted and I took my car in for a service today and to have some issues looked at; the massage function on the seats goes a bit crazy sometimes, handbrake is a mystery as to when it activates, gearbox sometimes doesn't activate.

I told the technical about the ghost system as he had to take it for a spin to try to replicate the issues. He had never heard of anything like it despite being a mechanic god according to him. His opinion was that it was the ghost causing the issues and that it would invalidate the warranty.

Anybody heard anything about it invalidating the warranty?
Are they just the issues listed above, or are there more and can you provide more details? This device has been fitted to many vehicles before without any issues...

Those are the only issues, and the handbrake problem was definitely present before the ghost install. I took it back after the first week and was told be the sandmans that it was working as it should do.

Basically if I pull straight into a parking spot oi activates when I switch off the engine. If I've been reversing at all then the handbrake doesn't come on and I have to activate it manually. I thought it was odd as other VAG cars I've driven and been in with the hold assist and electric handbrake activate automatically in all situations, but the salesman told me it was because of the zf gearbox.

The intermittent handbrake applying happens to me as well irrespective of reversing or not, so not the zf gearbox as mine is stronic, other owners have reported it to be the same as well. I always have to look to see if it has actually applied....

The intermittent handbrake applying happens to me as well irrespective of reversing or not, so not the zf gearbox as mine is stronic, other owners have reported it to be the same as well. I always have to look to see if it has actually applied....

Ah, ok, thanks for that info, so it looks like that is a general problem, the A5 I had yesterday the handbrake applied every single time without fail.

Kinda weird one but I have lived with it since I got the car in October 2016, I don't know if they've changed something on later models as the current A5 is newer. Maybe a different module or sensor somewhere..

Had it on the 3 and 4 and it never caused any issues. Fyi there is a valet mode where no code is needed so leave it with Audi like that imho don't even mention the system to them.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Had it on the 3 and 4 and it never caused any issues. Fyi there is a valet mode where no code is needed so leave it with Audi like that imho don't even mention the system to them.

TX.

Yeah, I had it in service mode, but then the tech took it over 35mph (in a 30 zone) and it went back into normal mode, so I had to tell him about it. Looking into getting the system disconnected so that Audi can investigate the problems. I'm 99% sure that the ghost had nothing to do with any of them, but just want the techs to focus on the problems and not concern themselves with the ghost.

Reactions: Terminator x
Can’t offer any help to OP but I can stop someone else having to google what it is...

3rd party CANBUS immobiliser... who knew..:sly:
So I'll google CANBUS now :D

No issues here with AWG and not heard any other members here or elsewhere with issues.

Reactions: Jsmills
Yeah, I had it in service mode, but then the tech took it over 35mph (in a 30 zone) and it went back into normal mode, so I had to tell him about it. Looking into getting the system disconnected so that Audi can investigate the problems. I'm 99% sure that the ghost had nothing to do with any of them, but just want the techs to focus on the problems and not concern themselves with the ghost.
Afaik it needs to be over 30 for a 15 minute period so that was some road test!

TX.

Reactions: voorhees
Did Audi honor the warranty and fix the issues in the end? Only reason I ask is I'm supposed to be getting an Autowatch Ghost fitted.

Did Audi honor the warranty and fix the issues in the end? Only reason I ask is I'm supposed to be getting an Autowatch Ghost fitted.

After Audi having the car for 4 different visits, over 2 weeks in total, and the "Master Technician", who was a total moron, trying in vein to attribute my problems to the Ghost, they eventually found some wires in another part of the canbus that were crushed together causing signals to be sent to the wrong places. The only logical conclusion is that this was the case from build so they sorted that out under warranty. Nothing to do with the Ghost system whatsoever.

Reactions: voorhees, Terminator x, Spencer589 and 1 other person