Automatic wipers

george forbes

Reaction score
Sorry but is it only me that get's wound up by this, when my wipers are set to automatic and I get in the car and it's ******* down and start it I have to be the one to tell it that it's raining by manually doing the first wipe. if I don't I could sit there for half an hour and it still wouldn't wipe ?

That’s what mine does and the 3 audis before that did the same.
If you start driving it should kick in after about 10-20 metres.

Reactions: AdamInKent
That’s what mine does and the 3 audis before that did the same.
If you start driving it should kick in after about 10-20 metres.
That's 20 metres of cars to crash into

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: AlS3BE and Sandra
The most logical description I have heard is that the car doesn’t necessarily know whether there is frost on the windscreen so to prevent damage to the wiper mechanism it won’t move the wipers until the car has moved as it assumes you wouldn’t move until the screen has defrosted.

Reactions: callumw, AdamInKent and george forbes
The most logical description I have heard is that the car doesn’t necessarily know whether there is frost on the windscreen so to prevent damage to the wiper mechanism it won’t move the wipers until the car has moved as it assumes you wouldn’t move until the screen has defrosted.

That’s kinda makes sense.
I always thought it was a crappy computer booting up. On first start of the car if you try and wash the windscreen nothing happens. Takes a few seconds before the windows squirters comes to life

What annoys me more is when I've left the wipers on auto from a previous rainy drive, and then the car randomly scraps the wipers across a dry dusty windscreen when I'm least expecting it... I can almost hear the grit cutting into my glass!

Reactions: AlS3BE
What annoys me more is when I've left the wipers on auto from a previous rainy drive, and then the car randomly scraps the wipers across a dry dusty windscreen when I'm least expecting it... I can almost hear the grit cutting into my glass!

The auto nervous twitch, not sure what it’s technical name, does a good job of that when you turn off the car.
The rear wiper on mine has already scraped chunks out the window even though I rarely use it. Only ever used when the auto wiper kicks in when in reverse cause it’s raining.

Reactions: Rjw76
I switched my auto-wipe off for a similar reason.
Occasionally a bird might bomb my windscreen and I'd rather wipe it off with a tissue than let the car auto-smear it all over the windscreen.