1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatic transmission reset?

Simon newton Jul 29, 2018

1. Simon newton

Simon newton New Member

hi,
    I have an audi a5 quattro 2009, I've heard that it is worth doing an automatic transmission reset every now and then, is this true and what is the correct procedure to do it as I've seen a few various ways of doing it. And can this cause any problems or damage to my car from doing it
    Cheers

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Meemo

Meemo Well-Known Member Supercharged Audi S5 Black Edition

4. Simon newton

Simon newton New Member

My car just feels a bit laggy when I put my foot down, it takes 1/2 to 1 second before it kicks in, it never used to be like this, my car is 2009, is this classed as an older model so all I need to do is disconnect the battery or have I got to do the throttle pedal sequence, ps how do I know it has worked? Will it just feel better or come up with a tone or signal of some sort?

5. Meemo

Meemo Well-Known Member Supercharged Audi S5 Black Edition

in all honesty i don't know, from other threads i can see the same question and peoples answers just being 'it is no longer hesitant or jerky'.
    Also many say you have to drive gently at low speeds for 10 minutes after whilst it starts logging/learning again.
    I had a service on the newer transmission as mine started to on occasion kinda kick and stutter between first second and third (recently had exhaust done so back pressure will have changed), felt jerky in traffic.
    Had a gearbox service just done which would have included a reset, and it feels lovely and smooth again, I wouldn't know it was changing gear if it wernt for the rev guage.