Automatic Folding mirrors stopped working

James Senior

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Picked up a 2008 A3 Sline which has the Audi Nav+ (RNS-E mk1), a couple of days ago and its running brill. When i first viewed it the owner used the key fob to unlock the car and when they did so the wing mirrors folded out. The opposite when locking.

I have no idea why but whenever i try to do it now it doesnt do it. The mirrors are working and fold using the buttons inside the car.

Anyone got any ideas?
Also when i press the car button the menu has nothing other than the software and hw codes, no actual car settings.
Is that right?

Thanks all

You can't auto fold/unfold the mirrors on an 8P A3 on locking unless you mod the wiring.
You must have been mistaken!

Only restyle ones can auto fold. 2009-2012

Enviado do meu X1 através do Tapatalk

Sorry, gotta ask.
If Ive got the folding mirrors and the door switches and they fold in manually well enough. Are you able to point me in the direction of what id need to get them working on the fob please? What kind of mod we looking at?

Many thanks

Firstly it can be done on the Fob with the 8P model as shown and done by @Ash187 + @NHN so if you want it done get in contact with either one off those retrofitters.
Now best thing to do is plug your car in Vcds and auto scan it and in module 42/52 your looking for module ending in M or P ( think K does it ) then Google retrofitting auto folding mirrors on Audi A3 and you will find how to do it plus if your looking for the part numbers check out @samuelh_888 build where they are listed for a sportback or check out ( www.7zap.com ) where you can look up your own part numbers

Wow thank you all for the replies. They have been extremely useful and gives me direction so im not aimlessly bumbling around the internet. I like the hands on approach so gonna get myself the vcds and vag com to do it myself. Thanks again. Im sure ill be back to peck your heads lol

Best
Wow thank you all for the replies. They have been extremely useful and gives me direction so im not aimlessly bumbling around the internet. I like the hands on approach so gonna get myself the vcds and vag com to do it myself. Thanks again. Im sure ill be back to peck your heads lol
Sensible thing to do first would be to get a member to Auto scan your car with Vcds and keep a copy off the scan as you might already have the modules there already if so then that's a good sign then if you have the correct mirrors you can just code them to auto fold on switch

Great minds. Just spoke to a friend of a friend whos an auto electrician. Gonna pop down and see him. See what he says. Whilst ive got you. The car menu on the radio. Is it always that uninformative. It simply show one thing which is the softwar/hardware details. Theres nothing else.

Attachments

• B70B51B8-B925-4D42-9041-6F77C263D584.jpeg
    B70B51B8-B925-4D42-9041-6F77C263D584.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 267
Great minds. Just spoke to a friend of a friend whos an auto electrician. Gonna pop down and see him. See what he says. Whilst ive got you. The car menu on the radio. Is it always that uninformative. It simply show one thing which is the softwar/hardware details. Theres nothing else.
I would be lying if I said I knew much about your Unit as I have never had one , but firstly you want to get s hold off a 2GB SD Card and pop music on to it and then it should show the song names , tracks etc ,( might even see it on your Dis ) but not 100% sure . Therses is a guy on the classifieds selling 2GB Cards

I would be lying if I said I knew much about your Unit as I have never had one , but firstly you want to get s hold off a 2GB SD Card and pop music on to it and then it should show the song names , tracks etc ,( might even see it on your Dis ) but not 100% sure . Therses is a guy on the classifieds selling 2GB Cards
I have 2x4gb. Max size is 4gb and must BE non hc( highcapacity) tou find them on ebay.
But some músics are not shown if the music title is too long.

Enviado do meu X1 através do Tapatalk

mines a 2010 sline a3 and has folding mirrors that fold with the central lock and the button in the arm rest 2010 models should be plug and play but you still need to got into the ecu to switch the option on

Firstly it can be done on the Fob with the 8P model as shown and done by @Ash187 + @NHN so if you want it done get in contact with either one off those retrofitters.
Now best thing to do is plug your car in Vcds and auto scan it and in module 42/52 your looking for module ending in M or P ( think K does it ) then Google retrofitting auto folding mirrors on Audi A3 and you will find how to do it plus if your looking for the part numbers check out @samuelh_888 build where they are listed for a sportback or check out ( www.7zap.com ) where you can look up your own part numbers

Charles are you sure the 8p can autofold in lock/unlock with keyfob and no extra wiring relays etc??
If so what’s the vcds related coding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charles are you sure the 8p can autofold in lock/unlock with keyfob and no extra wiring relays etc??

What I said in earlier post it can be done , but it would need the 2 members mentioned to do it which I guess would mean using extra wires or relays or you could look for @Ash187 old posts where it is discussed how he did it

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/folding-mirrors.392972/#post-3448953

can fold with keyfob using coding, but not with vcds it can be done with vcp/vcpsystem cable and software. afaik from what ive read on forums/youtube, it requires a door module from a later model eg. 08+ m or p suffix. if you already have a facelift 8p3 with folding mirrors, thats already covered.
older models need to either change to the newer door modules, which requires wiring pin changes (theres a post on here by ash about using newer 'dumbo' style folding mirrors on a prefacelift, and other posts on the net on the pin layout), or go the relay route (theres a thread on the tt forum about doing it).

in terms of difficulty on an 8p3, it seems quite straightforward. the biggest hurdle is getting your hands on vcp, or finding someone who has it. i believe djalix has it. an alternative method might be to manually dump the eeprom?

I’ve done the wiring + relay method which keeps the existing folding mirror switch active as well as the fold on lock and unfold on unlock.
I’ve not done the VCP coding version although I do own VCP.
Any 8P A3/C6 A6/4L Q7/MK2 TT that has folding mirrors from the switch can have the wiring+relay mod done to it.

I’ve done the wiring + relay method which keeps the existing folding mirror switch active as well as the fold on lock and unfold on unlock.
I’ve not done the VCP coding version although I do own VCP.
Any 8P A3/C6 A6/4L Q7/MK2 TT that has folding mirrors from the switch can have the wiring+relay mod done to it.

Email sent @Ash187

Does anyone know the VCP Coding version?maybe @NHN ?

Yes you need to dump the values for byte 189 (0xBD), 206 (0xCE) und 223 (0xDF) and enable bit 4.
Only works on Facelift gen 3 modules. 2007 + on A3.

Looks like this afterwards ;) here I have retrofitet FL modules for the driver door.

Reactions: Andreashadji
Yes you need to dump the values for byte 189 (0xBD), 206 (0xCE) und 223 (0xDF) and enable bit 4.
Only works on Facelift gen 3 modules. 2007 + on A3.

Looks like this afterwards ;) here I have retrofitet FL modules for the driver door.

Is there a video or walkthrough for the process as I m not familiar with vcp.
By “dump” you mean what?

Is there a video or walkthrough for the process as I m not familiar with vcp.
By “dump” you mean what?

its in the link i posted as a reply to you earlier in the thread

Ok so tried the vcp with a Chinese cable.
Connects fine with module but when I use security code 04354 it rejects it.
Mind you that also my genuine vcds cable rejects the same code as wrong.
So is it a case of wrong code,vcds won’t grant access no matter what or a genuine vcp cable will work cause vw users say that they also have the code rejected with non genuine cables...
Any insight from any vcp users?

I know that but can we have confirmation by someone here that the original will work on Audi door module?

Clones will not work for security access. VCDS also returns error because it has no use for that function in this controller. Original VCP works, you can see it in my video above :). Cheers

Clones will not work for security access. VCDS also returns error because it has no use for that function in this controller. Original VCP works, you can see it in my video above :). Cheers
ok now that clarifies the vcds issue.original cable ordered...will update when it arrives

@samisnake @DjDvr ok so got my genuine vcp cable and this is what i get from address 189 as per video.
is the value 40 the one that must be changed??

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 227
Correct you can see them in the diagonal 40 - 40 - 40

Ok so thumbs up and many thanks to @samisnake and @DjDvr for their input and help!
Got it working on an A3 8PA sportback with door module 8P0959801M.
Mirrors fold on long press and unfold with ignition on!
Will update with video proof tomorrow morning.

Reactions: phil_w
[QUOTE = "Andreashadji, publicación: 3501919, miembro: 134078"] [MEDIA = youtube] Isz3RQSL2Dk [/ MEDIA] [/ QUOTE]
can you explain what to do step by step I'm interested I have the same car as you with the same switchboard

hook up the cable run vcp and then go to module 42,choose engineer mode and login with 04354.it says key accepted and then you choose up/download.on login 04354 again then address 189 and length 48 and press read.it gives a dump like so:
65d5486982484872e1eb7704e341ad7c.jpg

Notice that 40 repeats on all 3 lines

Open windows calculator on hex and when bit 4 is changed from 0 to 1 then 40 becomes 50.
That’s what you put on all three lines instead of 40.
then select all and press write.
thats about it.close everything turn off car and check.mind you in your module it might not be 40 but C2 or whatever repeats itself on all three lines in the same pattern as 40 above.hope that makes sense!

Reactions: ch1z64 and samisnake
Hola, muchas gracias por indicarnos el proceso. Intentaré escribir con esta vag can pro

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32816728155.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.6a813c00n4ugJd&mp=1

Cuando yo hablo sobre los números en diagonal, solo veo dos iguales. donde esta el tercero
solo tienes que cambiar los que aparecen repetidos?
¿Cambiar los que aparecen repetidamente?

¿Solo tengo que modificar en la dirección 189 y la longitud 48?