automatic boot opening

Has everyone that fitted the Emerald struts had springs fitted to them for the 5dr sportback?

Well you know I didnt, I tried with different heads that they provided and more pins which all bent or destroyed my thumbs trying to get them in.
I still find it strange why they fit fine on one side but the other side refused to go on, no matter what I did.
I still need to return mine, but the police have been on the prowl here as I live on the beach so they are out in force and dont want to get fined for just going to the post office.
My polish ones are amazing and still working a treat, so glad I made the move

Summarized: which 'automatic boot openers' would be the best to buy for my A3 8v FL Sportback? In stock + Easy installation + correct working in cold winter temperatures + delivery to the Netherlands, based on the experiences on this forum? ....

The polish ones on ebay 1000000%
DO NOT BUY EMERALD STRUTS
Took me 2 seconds to install and they feel a lot better than the emerald ones.

Reactions: Tuttivini
I would say as my 12 year old daughter closed it.
It goes down normal but at the last half foot or so the srpings kick in and you just need to give it a little more push.
I can do it with one hand easy enough.
Just close in the centre so you are not putting strain on one edge, but you should do this anyway regardless of the struts

The quickLift struts that I have fit all PFL & FL Sportback from 2013-2019 as per their eBay advert.

Regarding closing & the feel. As already been said the last 6" it goes firm as you would expect due to the additional ikle springs. I pull the inner panel boot handle then pop my fingers on the rear reg plate & push it a little firmer to shut. It can all be done with one hand from fully open to closed, easy once you have done it a couple of times :thumbs up:

Reactions: Leevr
Well I was out shopping since installing them and guess what.....

Totally forgot they were installed and did it manually 3 times LOL

Will take some time getting used to having them I guess

I ended up returning mine as initially I ordered the 3dr using the link that was listed on here for Emerald Struts, my cars the 5dr sportback. I got an exchange pretty quick. But the new struts turned up and something seemed off. All four ball ends were loose, the springs are now housed within cheap looking heat shrink between the body and piston. I queried this and got the answer back that these were the modified version. To further add to this when I tightened the ball ends the best I could, as I didn't want to damage or mark them up, as if I had to return them they may not have accepted them. Even when I got them tight the ball ends didn't sit 180 degrees out from each other. I asked if turning the piston within the housing was ok. Got told to return them for a refund. Disappointed with them. So will be buying a set of the Polish struts if they are back in stock on Friday.

I ended up returning mine as initially I ordered the 3dr using the link that was listed on here for Emerald Struts, my cars the 5dr sportback. I got an exchange pretty quick. But the new struts turned up and something seemed off. All four ball ends were loose, the springs are now housed within cheap looking heat shrink between the body and piston. I queried this and got the answer back that these were the modified version. To further add to this when I tightened the ball ends the best I could, as I didn't want to damage or mark them up, as if I had to return them they may not have accepted them. Even when I got them tight the ball ends didn't sit 180 degrees out from each other. I asked if turning the piston within the housing was ok. Got told to return them for a refund. Disappointed with them. So will be buying a set of the Polish struts if they are back in stock on Friday.

Trust me you will not regret it, best buy I have ever made for the Audi, even though I forgot they were there today LOL
They feel a lot better than Emerald, they seriously only took 2 seconds to install.
They are very well made and thought out, not like emerald where it seems they just threw them together with pieces laying around.
Also I dont like the idea of metal on metal as I think the boot mounts will start to wear, unlike OEM ones which are plastic, its easier on metal joints.

To make it easy, the clips are very tough to pull apart so what I did was use the included flat head and gently moved the clip out so it was just sitting outside the mount, I then put the struts on and once they were seated I just pushed the metal clips back into place, I found this was better that taking them off fully and then trying to get tham back on, especially when its freezing out and your trying to pull apart metal clips with your frozen fingers.

@AlS3BE I read a lot on a German forum about this electric set.
I read several complaints about not closing properly and because of this: wind noise while driving (because not closing like o.e.m.)

Would be so nice to have the automatic boot (I have it on an A4 at work)...

I remembered to use mine today LOL
Had my hands full of pop bottles without a bag.
Loving these polish ones, they are great

I just bought the Polish ones :)

You wont regret it bud.
They will send you a text and email with UPS shipping.
Mine took 2 weeks due to Brexit and Corona testing and holidays, probably would have been a week otherwise. if not sooner.

Reactions: dp_motley and Leevr
I received them within a week and fitted already. The fitment was very easy and took a few minutes. They function exactly as advertised. Closing the boot isn't hard. You need just remember to push it down a little faster at the last 20-30 cm. Opening isn't too sudden, so your face wont be hit if you choose to open the boot by hand.

There's one annoying thing though. The springs slide up and down the strut piston when you open and close the boot. There is a rubber washer below the spring made to keep it on place, but it doesn't help as it moves down after you close the boot. Anyone here experienced the same?

I thought it was just me lol.
It has not affected the use.
I am wondering if there is something you can put by the springs to make them stay.
I noticed it once, but haven't noticed since so it's no biggie.

Reactions: dp_motley
As I understand it the tax should be vat equivalent as we are not part of the customs union the goods will attract vat on entry and it’s the couriers that will pay and you need to pay the courier before delivery. 20% will be based on rrp not the discounted price if you got a discount.
The courier could also charge an admin fee on top of the customs charge so could work out over 30% depending on the value of the goods. Technically the European sellers shouldn't be charging you European vat on the goods they sell to UK but I think it’s gonna be a case of most businesses won’t have a clue or still trying to adjust.
getting stuff from places like autodoc could get really expensive as they always have 20-30% discount on the app or other offers. Discounts wouldn’t cover the vat.

There's one annoying thing though. The springs slide up and down the strut piston when you open and close the boot. There is a rubber washer below the spring made to keep it on place, but it doesn't help as it moves down after you close the boot. Anyone here experienced the same?

I've never had this on my quickLift struts. A simple fix would be to carefully hold the rod tight (do not damage it) and unscrew the plastic end fitting then remove the spring and existing rubber. Next pop on a small tight fitting o-ring, then the rubber and spring before screwing the plastic end back on. That should stop the spring sliding and the small o-ring wouldn't cause any issues apart from stopping the spring sliding. Just a thought!

I atucally had it once when it was installed, but I think they may have stayed put since.
I will double check when I get in my car next.
But I did notice the springs slid down when I first opened it, but now thinking about it, I dont think its done it since.

Also I have noticed they were stiff on the first few closes, but now it seems almost like OEM, very smooth.

I got my refund from emerald, so I am glad I seen the back of those things, and so happy with these polish ones

Reactions: Harvey
Quick lift struts from Poland fitted in 2 minutes. Definitely the ones to go for, so easy and so OE to fit. And no duty paid due to brexit.

Reactions: dp_motley and Pur8
Do the springs remain on the top all the time? Mine move half way down.

On my old VW golf you were able to remove the brackets and struts, flip them both 180 degrees and reinstall, to get the same affect. Did anybody try this?

Here is a video showing them flipping the brackets. I did it without any of the new pieces they installed. I just had to flip the brackets and shocks. Not sure what the Audi brackets look like but it may be worth trying to flip the shocks.

so i finally ordered the polish product. I will give it a go when it arrives. People on the forum have a number of months of use so wondering if anyone has any damage at the ball joint area such as deforming of the area the ball joint attaches to. does the spring effect wear off over time and the pop loses its punch. I feel that this product should be ok to use. The VW hatch is similar in weight and nobody is complaining about damage using the above strut and pop mechanism so fingers crossed. of note, I have an 8P not an 8V. Cheers for any input and as always thanks for the help over the years

Has any one fitted a switch/button inside a saloon which opens the boot lid from the inside of the car?

Is it possible?

Has any one fitted a switch/button inside a saloon which opens the boot lid from the inside of the car?

Is it possible?
i have fitted the button to lift my boot up, but as quoted on here the Emerald struts are crap and in the cold don't pop open at all. if you open your boot once manually it will pop open and remote the 2nd or 3rd time around. i have retrofitted the button below my fuel cap release on my a3 e-tron facelift.

here is the picture of both fuel flap release and the boot open button which works oem.

Attachments

• IMG20220304164135.jpg
    IMG20220304164135.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 107
Emerald boot struts , anybody have any experience of them and how they stand up .
I have enquired many times for my A1 sportback 2019- by email, No reply. also posted on their facebook advert, again nothing. Doing some research people say not so easy to close the boot with them fitted ?. I would like to give them a try. If I can get hold of them.