Auto wiper/ light sensor fault after windscreen replacement

Lewbo

Reaction score
Friday just gone had a windscreen replaced on the wife's a3 cabriolet with a genuine Audi screen which I supplied for the window man to fit it.

He fitted the screen and managed to scratch the car in the process which he admitted and is paying for.

When I got in from work I started the car and straight away got fault on the dash saying auto lights/wipers defective. Obviously I wasn't happy. After googling I knew it needed a gel between the sensor and the screen which he hadn't fitted.

Next day he supplied one and fitted it and I still had the same fault. Hooked up VCDS and check Central electrics which holds a fault of no communication to the sensor which I tried erasing and still comes back instantly.

Was wondering if anybody else had the same problem before as I don't want the guy to fork out for a new sensor if it's ok. The gel he has been using is one supplied by auto glass not genuine and was wondering if this maybe the problem.

Thanks

I don't have any direct experience of this but....The code suggests component/wiring fault. To state the obvious, after a screen change, I'd speculate the likely cause is a damaged sensor/poor connection(s).

The sensing unit should indeed be fitted using gel and a retaining spring. I think that sensor is around £160+VAT.

If you have no comms with the sensor via VCDS then either the sensor isn't plugged in, its faulty or the wire has become chopped or broken or come away from the plug

Thanks for fast reply. Sensors is plugged in I check myself. I think it's the sensor but he won't pay the £180 for the sensor straight away as he thinks it maybe something else.

Lights come on straight away in auto and VCDS logs in measuring blocks suggest it's not working at all.

Trying to explain what I've done on VCDS to this guy he won't understand he was amazed that I could code it out. Not sure what the next move should be. Push him for replacement sensor?

I presume this is a hard fault and won't clear? If so, and you're getting implausibility via measuring blocks, yes, everything points to dead sensor or damaged connection (something local to screen, i.e. not car-side loom). I'd be pushing for a sensor.

I had the same on my Vauxhall........They had ripped the ribbon cable going to th sensor so see if you can check the wire between the sensor and the roof lining.

if you'd like to PM me the registration I'll be glad to offer you/the window fitter the finest Audi-sport discount on a genuine replacement.

Hope this helps.

Managed to figure out problem. I Checked the wiring into the plug and it looked fine but upon inspecting the sensor which the plug sits into 1 of the pins has bent and snapped in side so not getting a connection at all so need a new sensor. Haven't obviously tried a new sensor yet to clear the fault but this can be the only reason for it.